New Planting- Roundup Ready Alfalfa - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

New Planting- Roundup Ready Alfalfa

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

I searched and this has been covered but its been a couple of years, things change quick in the seed business from what i've seen.  With that being said, i've got about 10 acres of beautiful clover with Johnson Grass that comes out from under the woodwork after first cutting.  I'm going to burn it down and plat RR alfalfa. 

I have a few questions for those that have planted this before:

What brands are you all using and how much is it running per bag? 

Is there anything special that this suff requires?  

I'm assuming I can use gly rather than "roundup" on it or am i assuming wrong?  

I've soil tested, its in great shape, PH is 6.9.  

I plan to take one final cut off it in about 30-45 days and then burn it down and plant, (Sept 1 ish) or should i burn it down a couple times this fall and seed in the spring.  I'm in the Ohio Valley near Louisville KY, I generally cant' get in the field until April to do any kind of planting.  

Letter rip, I need all the help I can get.  

thanks

Attached Files

• Ephrona likes this

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15345 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

Probably be a good idea to determine if Sclerotina is a problem in your locale with fall planted alfalfa. If not, I would plant in the fall, otherwise you may have to wait until spring. Yes, you can use generic glyphosate. As far as brands, get something that comes recommended for your specific area.

Regards, Mike

• cjsr8595 and r82230 like this

#3 Jimmy Bartlett

Jimmy Bartlett

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationIowa Falls, Iowa

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:17 PM

i'm slowly becoming a fan of late summer alfalfa seeding ~6-8 weeks before first frost, especially if a good no-till drill is available with a little soil moisture.

• cjsr8595 likes this

#4 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:47 PM

They have me a product number of WP359LH, said that's what they sell in our area.  Anybody have any experience with it?  I've got a guy local to me that grows it, i'm going to bend his ear as well.

Thanks for the comments, appreciate the feedback.

#5 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4057 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:47 AM

I prefer Dekalb for Roundup Ready Alfalfa . They have  a wide selection of RR varieties and they will provide  % of the seed if a replant is needed. When doing this program you can use generic Gly if you are up on the AI and AE of your Generics . I  stick with Powermax proper rates are important and some say it works better in overtop of alfalfa applications .

We plant Dekalb 44-16 .... @ 15 to 18 # per acre .....Dekalb RR Alfalfa is in the just shy of  $400 per 50# bag range.. I prefer spring seeding of RR Alfalfa but I am going to seed  some soon after August 15.    

• cjsr8595 and r82230 like this

#6 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4057 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:53 AM

I plan to take one final cut off it in about 30-45 days and then burn it down and plant, (Sept 1 ish) or should i burn it down a couple times this fall and seed in the spring.  I'm in the Ohio Valley near Louisville KY, I generally cant' get in the field until April to do any kind of planting.  

Letter rip, I need all the help I can get.  

thanks

If you can get in till April ,are you saying land lays very wet in spring. If so a new seeding would maybe drown out . Maybe better to  plant as soon as dry next spring . ,If waiting you could include something like prowl  and or 24-D  With your Gly Burn Down after checking label for rotational crops on labels .   

• cjsr8595 likes this

#7 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

If you can get in till April ,are you saying land lays very wet in spring. If so a new seeding would maybe drown out . Maybe better to  plant as soon as dry next spring . ,If waiting you could include something like prowl  and or 24-D  With your Gly Burn Down after checking label for rotational crops on labels .   

Its not that it holds water, but we live in the Ohio valley and its cold and wet in the winter.  We get some dry days here and there in March but generally its the first of April before you can do any kind of dirt work.  This particular spot is no more wet than the ordinary.  I was planning on burning this down discing and then seeding.  I appreciate all the feedback.  I got a price of 10.50/lb for the seed above.  I'm going to shop it a little bit.

#8 scout

scout

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:00 AM

I plant WL 454RR mostly; I've planted Pioneer and Dekalb, but the WL usually does best for us in yield and quality. Runs about $375 per bag. I normally used Powermax and then will switch to Extreme to get another mode of action out there. Ryegrass is getting hard to kill here with glyphosate so planning on switching to Select and Pursuit in the spring. I'll use generic glyphosate occasionally with a good surfactant. For us, fall planted works best, but a lot different weather here too. Replant is covered also, as I've had to do that a couple of times. It's about half the price per bag (basically you don't pay the tech fee per bag).
  • cjsr8595 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors