New Holland 644 Bale Command, Random power off - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

New Holland 644 Bale Command, Random power off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 E220

E220

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, pa

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

I am working on a NH 644 Bale Command Plus that randomly powers off. It seems to be related to jerking the baler around but when I tap the monitor, baler box, and plugs, it won't shut down. If I jerk the tractor by popping the clutch it usually doesn't power off. If I drive around and hit the right bump, it clicks off. I'm not seeing a power blink on the 20 Amp fuse inside the monitor. I replaced the internal relay. I put a jumper wire between 18 and 19 at the baler box. What am I missing? Is it the baler box or monitor? I don't think it's wiring?

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

This is how I support the wire going to the back of the tractor.  An old rubber strap, taped to the hardness, makes for easy hooking/unhooking while taking a lot of the 'load' off the connectors. IMHO

Support2020

Are you supporting yours well?  And have you re-checked the connections at the battery?

Sounds like one of these could be your problem, but I've been known to be wrong more than once.  :o

Larry

#3 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2293 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:08 PM

Also you should support the harness connected to the monitor.  The baler harness i tie strap to the hyd hoses so there is no weight pulling down on the connector.

Probably not the case, but have you checked voltage when the monitor goes out.  At 16v the system will shut down.  Your symptoms do not seem to indicate this, but it is like a phone call I recently received about a monitor shutting down when they start feeding hay into the baler.  The customer thought the problem was caused by the action of the baler, where instead when he started feeding hay into the baler he was throttling up causing the voltage to increase past 16v.

If there is a break in the wire it will probably be close to the pto hanger where the harness goes through the loop.  4 series balers had more issues with this.

The system grounds through the controller.

Do not forget the connector where the monitor harness connects to the power harness from the battery.

If you know someone with a bale command plus monitor, all 4, 8 and BR models, use the same monitor, they just look different.

Even a tractor with a harness for a BR baler can run the baler.

Not likely a controller or monitor in my opinion, but like Larry, I have been wrong before.

#4 E220

E220

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, pa

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

I should have thought about starting with the tractor. The alternator was acting up and randomly spiking to 16.5V. It just coincided with jerks and bumps maybe due to some internal alternator issues. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors