• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lfc

lfc

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationEastern CT

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

Has anyone else had issues with Krone tedder guards breaking?  I have a KW7.82T I bought new in 2016 and use it on my 70 acres of grass. In 2018, one of the rear goalpost guards broke right at the u-bolt.  My dealer was able to get it replaced.  Last year, the inner leg of one of the outer wing guards broke off, and a couple weeks later the other side broke off too.  Knowing I was well out of warranty at this point I turned down a piece of round stock to fit inside each tube and welded them up.  This year, the other rear goalpost guard broke off, and I'll repair it too by welding.  I am extremely disappointed that four of them now broke this soon.  I run the tire pressures at the recommended values, and even deflated them slightly after the first break to reduce bounce.  I don't think my fields are any rougher than other's, I don't cover that much acreage with it, and I usually pull it with a Ford 2000 so I'm not flying across the fields.  My old Kuhn tedder is 25 years old and still has the original guards on it.  I'll keep welding them as they break I guess, but I just wondered if I'm alone with this issue.

Attached Files

• DSLinc1017 and clowers like this

#2 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 942 posts
  • LocationChamplain Valley, Vermont

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

You are not alone! At least with other brands.  Have had a new idea after continually welding them i finally took them off.  Now we have a Class and the same thing.  Did the solid bar stock in the tubes that broke,  had bolts shear off on the other side.  A month ago after the last one broke off just derided to  abandon the guards altogether.  Spoke with our local Krone dealer about any issues they were having with krone tedder guards and he said the same thing happens to theirs.  He suggested running lower air pressure in the tires. 

My understanding having talked  with Class is that they have to sell them with guards in place for safety regulations. 

For us I am not surprised as some of our fields are rutted up and we drive tedders around quite fast.  

Safe Regards,

Michael

#3 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2562 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

Both of mine broke in exactly the same place.  No rough fields, did not hit anything, and I don't go that fast.  It is the only thing on that tedder that is a really bad design.  However, the pto rest is a lot better on my Krone rake than it is on the tedder.  Not sure why they can't adopt the rake pto rest to the tedder as well.  After I fixed my guards once, I just left them off.  

• 8350HiTech likes this

#4 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:23 PM

Jinxing myself, I too have a KW7.82T, with no problems. 

I usually ted at 4.5 - 5.5 MPH.  All of my fields were minimum tilled for 10-15 years before I planted.  So there isn't much of any dead furrows in them.  I can drive a car/pickup at 45-50 MPH across most of them (woodchucks have excavated a few spots :angry: ).  I usually cut at 9.5 - 10 MPH, rake at 6-7 MPH, RB at 8-10 MPH, for an idea of the smoothness of my fields.

Now on my previously owned spaghetti tedder (Enrossi, sp), guards broke all the time.  Best way to eliminate breakage was leave them hanging in the shed.

Larry

• DSLinc1017 and somedevildawg like this

#5 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5416 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

Mine are all broken off both Kuhn's I own. 

#6 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9439 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:07 PM

What are guards :o ....best to leave them in the shop. But yes, mine have broken as well....lots of wiggle in them guards, leads to failure.
  • DSLinc1017 and HayMike like this

#7 clowers

clowers

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:16 PM

All of mine are broke off of my krone tedder as well

#8 lfc

lfc

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationEastern CT

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

Well, I guess I don't feel quite so bad now!  Still, I question the design of a machine that has probably less than 100 hours on it.  And I agree - the pto support leaves a lot to be desired too.  I'm waiting for the day when it falls on my hand.

#9 clowers

clowers

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

Started on my tedder frame repair today.  Inserting pipe inside of frame tubes and welding back together.  My main issues has become that my tilt  cylinder has crapped out. Can anyone point me in the direction of the cylinder repair that kron.1 posted about sometime back.  I think some guys have maybe piped around theirs.  

#10 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

.  I think some guys have maybe piped around theirs.

https://www.haytalk....-as-i-was-told/

I actually bought the kit that Krone has (maybe Krone1 will repost part number, because I can't put my fat finger on it :( ).

Larry

PS here is another one to look at (post #38 Krone1 gives parts needed).

https://www.haytalk....e-tedder/page-2

#11 clowers

clowers

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:48 PM

Thanks Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors