4 replies to this topic

#1 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1005 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:51 PM

On Saturday we moved my cows to another pasture, and had one cow I had to drop because the calf just could not make it.  I wish I had dropped her at the tank near the house, but I didn't, so Tuesday we were out there tried to find her and haul her over to the other cows so that she can bet bred.  I was thinking today that it would  be nice to have a drone so I look over the area faster, and could see those areas that.  Tomorrow we are going to try one more time to find her, we are hoping to find her on water; Tuesday we could tell that she had been to water, but was not able to find her. 

Here is my question; do any of you guys use drones in your farming operation?  If you do use them, what do you use?  I am wanting to get one, besides I think they would be fun to play with.  

• ozarkian likes this

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

I have a 'cheaper' one that only runs for 3-5 minutes that I have very limited experience with.  It's my second one, the first one ran away.  :huh:  Seems if didn't have the find home feature, flew over a fence row out of the operator's site.  The operator not being very good, must have sent it into a neighbor's Christmas tree patch or woods, not certain which way it was getting directions to go.  I just know it didn't stop in my 13 acre field on the other side of the fence row (full of trees, blocking view).  That's why I had the opportunity to purchase a 'second' one.

I bought spare parts and extra batteries (for longer times of use).  The spare parts are for stuff like damage after engaging a tree (similar to Charlie Brown's kite, the drone was attracted too often to trees  ;) ).  Speaking of trees,  50-75' of RB twine (it's lighter), fasten to a broken tedder tooth, works as a retrieval device I've been told  :cool: ).

I'm thinking of getting a better one, that has much more flying time (and homing abilities), just need to add a zero to the price it seems. 

The learning curve is similar to any other electronic device (IMHO), the older you are the steeper the curve.  :angry:  Especially the FPV (First Person View), it's like you are in the drone, but a slight delay on what your are seeing (hence to close to a tree perhaps).  It's amazing what the experienced kids can do, especially with the racing drones.  :o

Oh, one other thing, have a UTV (or similar) available.  Might just save you some time fetching something, I've been told by a friend.  ;)

Larry

PS I never have gotten comfortable enough to take my prop guards off yet (think of training wheels on a bicycle).  So I might not be the right person to get ANY advice from.  :rolleyes:

Edited by r82230, 23 July 2020 - 04:57 PM.

• ozarkian, somedevildawg and CowboyRam like this

#3 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2866 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:32 AM

Brother has a DJI Mavic Pro II drone. Uses it for crop scouting. From what I’ve seen, it’s a nice machine. Runs about 15-20 minutes. Expensive to crash, so don’t do it. My nephew is building a racing drone from parts off of eBay. Maybe look for used one first to practice on before dropping the big cash?

#4 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:12 AM

Brother has a DJI Mavic Pro II drone. Uses it for crop scouting. From what I’ve seen, it’s a nice machine. Runs about 15-20 minutes. Expensive to crash, so don’t do it. My nephew is building a racing drone from parts off of eBay. Maybe look for used one first to practice on before dropping the big cash?

This model is what's on my wish list, but until I can operate better without the training wheels, I'll have to stay with the cheaper versions.  Or have a rich uncle that's older and likes me a lot.  ;)

Larry

• CowboyRam likes this

#5 Scheff

Scheff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:49 PM

My advice, get the Mavic2. It HAS training wheels... with collision avoidance, GPS tracking with auto-home before battery runs out, and other features that make it so easy to fly safely. An awesome drone.
I went through several “cheaper” ones that were a waste of money... and probably spent more on the lesser capable drones before finally getting one that just doesn’t crash, even if you try to. Seriously, it’ll stop itself if you try to crash it. If you really want to splurge, get the Smart Controller too.
  • Vol, somedevildawg, CowboyRam and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors