• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lacamo

lacamo

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

I recently bought a "legacy" MF 12 baler in good shape. Some of the pickup teeth need to be replaced, but in order to do this, it's clear I have to remove strippers. However, these are
secured with round head, flat blade screws which are frozen in, having been there for 50+ years.  I've tried PBlaster and heat no avail as it seems like the oil cannot penetrate past the screw head/stripper surface and there's not enough space to get a straw up between the underside of the stripper & the hole. Too much force on the screw will strip the slot;
I sure don't want to be stuck drilling them out. So many of these balers being out there, I assume someone has dealt with this before. Any ideas appreciated!

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:44 PM

50 years, if I was a betting person, I'd say good luck getting them to un-screwed.  Most likely they are basically welded in place by now. I'd be using a grinder or torch them off, putting in new screws.  Not what you wanted to hear.

Larry

Edited by r82230, 23 July 2020 - 06:38 AM.

• HayMike likes this

#3 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

Gas axe or grinder, wish I scould be more encouraging but.........

#4 I farm with junk

I farm with junk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWest Central il

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

The best penitrating liquid i've found is 50/50 mixture of acatone and transmission fluid .acatone can be found in the paint dept, it evaporates if not in a sealed spar devicde. You just have to Renova several bans to do the job . The bolts on the bands have square shoulders on them. You can take a thin cutoff wheel on a 4" grinder and make screw driver slots. The nuts are underneath and out of the weather . Best of luck i realy didn't ha much troubel when i did mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors