Ecodiesels - Page 2 - Farm Trucks & Trailers - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Ecodiesels

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

Would even be worse if no brakes on wagon. :o

At just 700# each, you're looking at over 16,000 (8 tons) of hay. My full sized 1 ton, weighs a little more than half that and I wouldn't be comfortable. It's not the ability to pull the load, but ABILITY stop the load that matters the most to me.

Larry

Yep, I dont try to go fast with hay. 300 HP would be plenty....though I have more.
Would rather have exhaust brake and Alison/Aisin with downshifting and 4.30/4.88 than a HO engine.
Just picked up a 35’ 38,000lb gooseneck trailer with deck on the neck and I’m more of a 45-50mph guy that wants to stop real nice & easy.

#22 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3938 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

Maybe I should have clarified low range, exhaust brake on, never breaking 20mph loaded. The farthest field is only about 5 miles from the barns never had any trouble stopping yet.

No offense intended but it still sounds as if the tail is wagging the dog to me. It will only take one time having trouble stopping on public road for things to go down hill FAST.

#23 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9439 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

That’s why he said “yet” Jim, and I’m bettin in southeast Alabama it’s as “flat as a fliddle” so it ain’t got no downhills to worry about gettin him downhill in a hurry!

#24 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3938 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:26 PM

By "down hill" I wasn't referring to the terrain I was referring to "poop hitting the fan" in a hurry!!!!

• somedevildawg likes this

#25 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:30 PM

I have one that hasn't been brought up. My little truck is a 2017 GMC canyon with the dmax and allison it gets mid 30's running around and still manages to get 18 hauling hay. The trailer it pulls is an old 40 foot cotton trailer hauls 23 4x5 round bales

Never knew the smaller truck got the Allison

#26 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:33 PM

I had just 4 RB on my RB hauler (has no brakes) that I was pulling behind a 1/2 pickup. The RB weighed in at around 5,000#, the hauler at 2150#.  I was coming back from weighting at the local elevator. From the stop sign to my driveway is about 200', so I wasn't going very fast (I'd say less than 10 MPH).  Black top road, flat and wet from morning dew. Lockup the brakes and slid by my driveway, had to back-up pull into said driveway. Never pull that RB hauler with that pickup again.  :huh: 

RB hauler can hold 8 bales on bottom, 3 or 6 six on top (depending upon your stacking/tying on).

YMMV

Larry

#27 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:10 PM

No offense taken Jim but it really handles it fine there's no hill around more than 50 feet are so and to stop at the stop sign just tap the brakes and it goes from 20 to a crawl in prolly 100 feet that's just the exhaust and transmission I have another cotton trailer that get pulled with a1996 dodge 3500 automatic and Cummins and I find myself stomping the brakes a lot harder with it but we do run a lot faster with it

#28 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9439 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

I had just 4 RB on my RB hauler (has no brakes) that I was pulling behind a 1/2 pickup. The RB weighed in at around 5,000#, the hauler at 2150#.  I was coming back from weighting at the local elevator. From the stop sign to my driveway is about 200', so I wasn't going very fast (I'd say less than 10 MPH).  Black top road, flat and wet from morning dew. Lockup the brakes and slid by my driveway, had to back-up pull into said driveway. Never pull that RB hauler with that pickup again.  :huh: 

RB hauler can hold 8 bales on bottom, 3 or 6 six on top (depending upon your stacking/tying on).

YMMV

Larry

Probably one of them “off-brand” trucks :D
  • r82230 likes this

#29 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:22 AM

Probably one of them “off-brand” trucks :D

Ya, a red one. 

Knowing what I know today, surely wouldn't have wanted a black one (would be on it's knees most of the time and/or throwing objects :o), should of had a white or even a silver one perhaps.  :D  :lol:  :D

Larry

• Vol, somedevildawg and JOR Farm like this

#30 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

So get to doing some research and when did Ram goto sealed transmissions? Whoever made that decision really deserves to get their sack caught in a roto rooter.

• JD3430 likes this

#31 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:27 PM

So get to doing some research and when did Ram goto sealed transmissions? Whoever made that decision really deserves to get their sack caught in a roto rooter.

Hahaha  :D

Doesn’t RAM offer a 3/4 ton with an air ride suspension for a few years now? 
That way you get the real Cummins, an Aisin transmission and a softer suspension. Maybe a used one? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors