30 replies to this topic

#1 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

I know at last one of our  members own a EcoDiesel, anyone else? My old  cummins has about had it, motor will run forever of course and the transmission is actually solid, phantom electrical gremlins are driving me nuts and someday if I keep it gonna need a new brake booster $$$ then of course plan on dropping another $1500 into the front end one of these days. 

Seriously looking at the Ram 1500’s, for what I’m mainly gonna use it for the wife’s Jeep Liberty can handle in a pinch, if I have heavy stuff I have a fleet of straight trucks to pick from so no real need for a 3/4 or 1 ton. That and the half tons ride better, my back would appreciate that right away.

#2 Bonfire

Bonfire

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1162 posts
  • LocationSouth Side Va.

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

Aren’t the 21 models to be 3rd generation?

#3 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:05 PM

The older ones were rather notorious for rotating mass failures.  Personally I wouldn’t even begin to think about a half ton diesel.  Fuel savings are gonna get wiped out by up front cost and upkeep down the road.  Ask what replacing the injectors and hi pressure pump cost . . .

• ozarkian and 8350HiTech like this

#4 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15344 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:12 AM

The older ones were rather notorious for rotating mass failures.  Personally I wouldn’t even begin to think about a half ton diesel.  Fuel savings are gonna get wiped out by up front cost and upkeep down the road.  Ask what replacing the injectors and hi pressure pump cost . . .

Depends. In the 1500 Chevy the diesel is only $2500 more than the 5.3 gasser and will put you in the thirties on the long haul and 23 in the city. Wont take long to pay for that oiler at that price and economy.....and be able to tow the boat and the medium load trailers like a champ.

I read where the Dodge costs $5K more than the 5.7 Hemi gasser. 

Regards, Mike

#5 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

Aren’t the 21 models to be 3rd generation?

HAHA, don’t care, well out of my price range. A 2020 is running $72,200. I just can’t bring myself to pay more for a pickup thats gonna rot out eventually than dad paid for the west 52 acres.  

I did find a 2018 with less than 12,000 miles, was a buy back though, in other words a lemon.

#6 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:44 AM

I don’t have experience with any of them, but it seems like the....ahem.....Ford 1/2 is more liked. 
Id rather have the RAM, my 5500 is pretty nice,  it I heard the Italian diesel isn’t the best.

Why not a used 3/4 ton RAM with the real Cummins in it?

#7 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

I don’t have experience with any of them, but it seems like the....ahem.....Ford 1/2 is more liked. 
Id rather have the RAM, my 5500 is pretty nice,  it I heard the Italian diesel isn’t the best.

Why not a used 3/4 ton RAM with the real Cummins in it?

Tired of rebuilding the front ends constantly and the ride sucks compared to a half ton.

Everything I plan on doing with a 1/2 ton the wife’s Jeep Liberty can do in a pinch. Main use will be for the boilers, I’ve used the Liberty both on the stove trailer and my install trailer when there just wasn’t room to get a full size extended cab pickup with a 8 foot bed into the area. 

#8 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

I read about that, was an error in the assembly or torqueing of the crank deck plate, that’s been rectified. 

I’ve put almost 200,000 miles on my 5.9 with no injector or pump issues. Big secret to that is don’t buy fuel on the road. We keep B5 road diesel on the farm thats filtered out of the tank then all of our Dodge Cummins have another filter/water separator we added between the fuel tank and charge pump, have also installed fuel pressure sensors on em, fuel pressure gets below 5PSI to the injector pump and bad things are gonna happen. Banks and Edge have sensors available for the eco diesel. Reason I say road fuel is an issue is my Dad and a cousin were delivering trailers years back, Dad had a 3/4 ton and 1 ton Ram both with 5.9’s and the cousin had a Chevy, all were comparable in years and mileage, all three had issues with pumps and injectors, Dad stopped delivering trailers and his issues stopped. They were out to Maine, California and into Canada often.

With the boilers I’d be close enough to home I’d never have to refill on the road and when we vacation we get on a plane and go somewhere, have no desire whatsoever to drive across the country.

I’ve looked hard at the gassers as well, but it would be like the wife’s Liberty, even a small trailer behind it and you can watch the gas gauge drop.

#9 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

"I’ve looked hard at the gassers as well, but it would be like the wife’s Liberty, even a small trailer behind it and you can watch the gas gauge drop."

We are on our third “truck” gas engine now, a 5.3 in a ’15 Suburban.  I am impressed with it.  A month ago we took it to Chicago with a 3500 GAWR trailer behind.  Picked up a load of concrete forms and accessories that weighed around 3500 lbs net.  I was really please how well the Suburban and the 5.3 handled the load.  It can’t hold a candle to my ’99 Cummins obviously but it is head and shoulders better than the ’06 Hemi Mega Cab and ’06 Nissan Armada with a 5.6 that preceded the Chevy.  Both the mileage and the usable power were plenty acceptable. It made the 5.6 Nissan look silly, and I’ve pulled some with it as well.  The only thing I don’t like about the 5.3 is the AFM.  That needs to get disabled. 

#10 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:25 AM

Strange thing I’m noticing is when milage and models are near identical not a lot of difference in price between a Hemi and a Ecodiesel in the used market.

#11 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

Tired of rebuilding the front ends constantly and the ride sucks compared to a half ton.

Everything I plan on doing with a 1/2 ton the wife’s Jeep Liberty can do in a pinch. Main use will be for the boilers, I’ve used the Liberty both on the stove trailer and my install trailer when there just wasn’t room to get a full size extended cab pickup with a 8 foot bed into the area. 

Then maybe the F150 diesel is a candidate for you. They’ve been around long enough that there’s plenty of clean used available.

Or

Maybe the newer RAM front ends have improved components? I hope so. I just bought a 5500 and I don’t want to be fixing anything for at least 5 years. 

#12 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

"I’ve looked hard at the gassers as well, but it would be like the wife’s Liberty, even a small trailer behind it and you can watch the gas gauge drop."

We are on our third “truck” gas engine now, a 5.3 in a ’15 Suburban. I am impressed with it. A month ago we took it to Chicago with a 3500 GAWR trailer behind. Picked up a load of concrete forms and accessories that weighed around 3500 lbs net. I was really please how well the Suburban and the 5.3 handled the load. It can’t hold a candle to my ’99 Cummins obviously but it is head and shoulders better than the ’06 Hemi Mega Cab and ’06 Nissan Armada with a 5.6 that preceded the Chevy. Both the mileage and the usable power were plenty acceptable. It made the 5.6 Nissan look silly, and I’ve pulled some with it as well. The only thing I don’t like about the 5.3 is the AFM. That needs to get disabled.

I have a 5.3 in a Tahoe with 210,000 miles and it’s still runs great. Really impressed with that little motor

#13 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:32 PM

Then maybe the F150 diesel is a candidate for you. They’ve been around long enough that there’s plenty of clean used available.

Or

Maybe the newer RAM front ends have improved components? I hope so. I just bought a 5500 and I don’t want to be fixing anything for at least 5 years. 

Word of advice, unless something has changed since I last went thru mine a few years ago nothing but Moog when possible in the solid front axles on the Rams, seem to outlast other brands of parts including OEM. But even the Moog doesn’t seem to last nearly as long as they should, I just laugh to myself when I see guys with 10ft V plows on 3/4 and 1 ton Rams, they are gonna get real good replacing ball joints and wheel bearings. 

#14 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:36 PM

Or

I’m a Dodge guy, have had a few of the other big three over the years, prefer my pentastars. I will admit that last 3/4 ton chevy got the holy snot beat out of it the years I had it, but it was for plowing snow and cutting wood, wasn’t about to drive it 75 miles to install a boiler. 

#15 skyrydr2

skyrydr2

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:20 AM

The new chevy diesel 1/2 ton is a powerhouse compaired to the other 1/2 ton diesels! And a crewcab LT4wd is selling for 48k here. It is so quiet it will blow your mind too! The ram is a turd off the line and is noisy in comparison. Ford isn't even going to make anymore 1/2ton diesels because the sales sucked so bad..
A friend has a new chev and he has gotten 40.4 mpg on a trip through NY. That ain't bad in any book!

#16 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

The new chevy diesel 1/2 ton is a powerhouse compaired to the other 1/2 ton diesels! And a crewcab LT4wd is selling for 48k here. It is so quiet it will blow your mind too! The ram is a turd off the line and is noisy in comparison. Ford isn't even going to make anymore 1/2ton diesels because the sales sucked so bad..
A friend has a new chev and he has gotten 40.4 mpg on a trip through NY. That ain't bad in any book!

Read good reviews on GM, too. Looks like the timing chain/belt is on the back of the motor and you have to remove transmission to replace it!

The Ford diesel is also used in the Land Rover Discovery.

#17 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

I have one that hasn't been brought up. My little truck is a 2017 GMC canyon with the dmax and allison it gets mid 30's running around and still manages to get 18 hauling hay. The trailer it pulls is an old 40 foot cotton trailer hauls 23 4x5 round bales

#18 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3935 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:44 AM

I'll bet trying to stop a 40' wagon with 23 rd bales on it towed by a small pickup will make one's pucker string tighten significantly!!

• somedevildawg and MtnHerd like this

#19 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:02 AM

I'll bet trying to stop a 40' wagon with 23 rd bales on it towed by a small pickup will make one's pucker string tighten significantly!!

Would even be worse if no brakes on wagon.  :o 

At just 700# each, you're looking at over 16,000 (8 tons) of hay. My full sized 1 ton, weighs a little more than half that and I wouldn't be comfortable.  It's not the ability to pull the load, but ABILITY stop the load that matters the most to me.

Larry

• MtnHerd likes this

#20 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

Maybe I should have clarified low range, exhaust brake on, never breaking 20mph loaded. The farthest field is only about 5 miles from the barns never had any trouble stopping yet.
  • somedevildawg likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors