• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:46 PM

What brand and model skid steer do you run and why? Tracks or wheels?

#2 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

1990 Thomas T133, so relatively small, but it will lift a 5' x 5' bale, and is probably the handiest machine on the farm.

I bought it in 1998, and it will probably be one of the last things sold when I dissolve the farm business (not too soon I hope!)

It was on wheels, but I got a set of metal tracks for it years ago, which are difficult to install, so I just run tracks all the time. If I ever got another skid steer, it would definitely be on tracks, they are just so versatile that way.

You can go onto some soft ground and not sink in and not leave much of a track or rut either.

The metal does not grip worth a hoot on snow & ice but I park the machine in the winter anyway, have other equipment for moving snow.

Our machine is used mainly for post pounding and dirt works. Sometimes it gets used to move hay around as it is quicker and more maneuverable than a tractor.

We use ours for post pounding (excellent for that) and spreading gravel or manure, some light grading/levelling.

• Troy Farmer and dvcochran like this

#3 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2862 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:49 PM

Case 60XT and a Case 1825. Hand controls and extremely simple to service/maintain
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#4 eberlej

eberlej

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, Texas

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

JCB Teleskid. Side entry, extending boom. AWESOME machine!
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#5 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3189 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:00 PM

1985 Case 1835B x2.  Too small for some things but handy as a shirt pocket for others.  Simple and dependable, not too hard to repair.  Either on or the other runs every day of the year to fill the mixer wagon.  I’ve given up the idea of buying a bigger skid steer.  Thinking someday maybe a small full size payloader or maybe hold out for an articulated teleloader.  I really like what I see there.  Price needs to come down though. 

• Troy Farmer and PaMike like this

#6 Cozyacres

Cozyacres

Grass Farmer

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Wisconsin

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

Case 1845C, old, tough, strong and cheap, on solid rubber tires, rough ride, but no flats

• Troy Farmer likes this

#7 farmer dave

farmer dave

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmid missouri

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

I have a takuchi tl140. I was able to pick it up cheap but it needed tracks and some other work. It's very handy. I can pick up 4000 lbs behind the bucket. i'm able to put up hay off my farm because I can use it to unload with it. I have never had it to muddy that it can't go thru. Will tear up some ground if you turn sharp.

• Troy Farmer likes this

#8 Uphayman

Uphayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:36 AM

Running bobcats. S175 and s250. Both 2003. Tier nothing.
  • Vol and Troy Farmer like this

#9 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:39 AM

Jcb 260 wheel machine. Love the side door. Went with wheels due to cleaning layer barns with concrete floors.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#10 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2362 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:51 AM

NH L785-Big old wheel machine, extremely heavy duty, very little electronics, simple and reliable but loud and harsh to run

NHC175- Track machine with heat/ac and hydraulic quick attach. Great machine BUT expensive to maintain. Track undercarriage and track motors get expensive. Great when needed but I try to put the hours on the wheel machine if possible.  

I also buy and sell some machines so I have run a wide variety of machines. Currently have too much inventory, and not enough buyers. Have Case 450-3, 440-3, NH L160, NH 190 all at the farm at my disposal. Kinda nice..

• Troy Farmer likes this

#11 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

2013 Case SR150 on tires, its big enough to lift our 4x5 bales and stack 3 high on end.  We wanted something on the smaller side to be able to get in some older lower cow barns we have.  Its short and narrow enough to fit where we need it, and as others have said, it get used more than anything else on the farm.  

• Troy Farmer likes this

#12 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10862 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:11 PM

Bobcat 864 with the wide 18” tracks, will go where you can’t walk. 

Boyd and sons in Indianapolis is a good source for under carriage parts that are half or less of what Bobcat wants. I can buy an entire bogie assembly for less than Bobcat gets for the bearings and seals to repair one. Boyd had also started to carry their own line of rubber tracks as well. 

Here a wheeled machine would be near worthless a lot of the time, Ive used the Bobcat to pull my Polaris Ranger out when I buried it, the Ranger left deeper ruts than the 18” tracks did. 

• Troy Farmer and Snow Farmer like this

#13 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Locationlockport il

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:38 PM

NH C232 tracks used for about everything 10 bale grapple if too wet for the telehandler snow dirt and forks only bad thing is tracks are noisy 

• Troy Farmer likes this

#14 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15338 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

2000 Bobcat 763. Bought it off eBay for a tick under 10 grand. Had 161 actual hours. It starts in the cold like nobodies business. Had to spend about 2K on it when i bought it to replace muffler/exhaust, seat, and top glass and had Bobcat out to the place to fully service it and all fluids. Came out of Georgia. Fella bought it to clean his horse barn with and soon passed away. Wife let it sit under a pine tree for about 8 years. Had to do a little painting and replaced the decals and grit pads. It has wheels which work good in the summertime desert. Came with a 3 way bucket that I use to cut rutted roads down with....if it ever rains. It's primary job is grappling square bales. 

Regards, Mike

• Troy Farmer likes this

#15 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:49 PM

NH L785-Big old wheel machine, extremely heavy duty, very little electronics, simple and reliable but loud and harsh to run

NHC175- Track machine with heat/ac and hydraulic quick attach. Great machine BUT expensive to maintain. Track undercarriage and track motors get expensive. Great when needed but I try to put the hours on the wheel machine if possible.

I also buy and sell some machines so I have run a wide variety of machines. Currently have too much inventory, and not enough buyers. Have Case 450-3, 440-3, NH L160, NH 190 all at the farm at my disposal. Kinda nice..

You’re a “lifer” here. Post up pictures and prices for em.
Skid steer still remains on my wish list. Main reason I don’t have one is because there’s so many choices and used ones feel like such a crap shoot.
Love the JCBs side entry, but cost of ownership could be high. Like the Toolcat, but lacks reach. No idea on the tracks v. tires.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#16 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

1990 Thomas T133, so relatively small, but it will lift a 5' x 5' bale, and is probably the handiest machine on the farm.

I bought it in 1998, and it will probably be one of the last things sold when I dissolve the farm business (not too soon I hope!)

It was on wheels, but I got a set of metal tracks for it years ago, which are difficult to install, so I just run tracks all the time. If I ever got another skid steer, it would definitely be on tracks, they are just so versatile that way.

You can go onto some soft ground and not sink in and not leave much of a track or rut either.

The metal does not grip worth a hoot on snow & ice but I park the machine in the winter anyway, have other equipment for moving snow.

Our machine is used mainly for post pounding and dirt works. Sometimes it gets used to move hay around as it is quicker and more maneuverable than a tractor.

We use ours for post pounding (excellent for that) and spreading gravel or manure, some light grading/levelling.

Haha. Your post made me smile. I bought a Scat Trak 1300HD new in 1988. It and the Thomas are nearly identical machines and you sure don't see many of them around any more. Handy little machine.

I agree on the tracks. We rent a track machine several times a year for work and the flotation is awesome compared to the tired machine. 

• Troy Farmer and Snow Farmer like this

#17 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2362 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

You’re a “lifer” here. Post up pictures and prices for em.
Skid steer still remains on my wish list. Main reason I don’t have one is because there’s so many choices and used ones feel like such a crap shoot.
Love the JCBs side entry, but cost of ownership could be high. Like the Toolcat, but lacks reach. No idea on the tracks v. tires.

Yeah, used skidsteers really are a crap shoot. Its hard to make money on them when you fix them "right". The other problem is they take such an abuse even when they are fixed right the new owner can still have issues...

• Vol, Troy Farmer and JD3430 like this

#18 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:05 PM

How good are skid steers for digging up 2-3’ rocks?

#19 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3189 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:19 PM

I would have no problem with that.  I tear out concrete with my runty little 1835Bs.  I found that a pallet fork frame with 4 forks on works very well for that.  

• Troy Farmer and JD3430 like this

#20 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:01 PM

It would have more to do with machine weight and bucket. Riding around on 3" rock should not be a problem for any machine. Digging it out or hard ground is a different story. You would definitely want a good heavy tooth bucket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors