Single acting cylinder quit raising Krone AM283S cutter bar - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Single acting cylinder quit raising Krone AM283S cutter bar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3938 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

I have a Krone AM283s disc cutter on a caddy. Caddy has a hose with a breakaway coupler located so original Krone hyd hose male tip can be attached to breakaway coupler on caddy. Hose that attaches to tractor sprung a leak. I replaced hose with new hose. When I attached hose to tractor and end of cutterbar only would raise a couple feet off the ground. Cutterbar raised to 90° & lowered fine before hose replacement. It finally dawned on me that air in cylinder was the problem. I attached tractor to original male hyd tip then cutterbar raised. Reconnected to breakaway on caddy then attached replaced hose to tractor then lowered cutterbar & everything operated correctly.

• Vol, somedevildawg, Troy Farmer and 2 others like this

#2 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:02 PM

What a PITA but glad you figured it out.  Personally I've never had hydraulics NOT bleed out on their own just by repeated cycling, but it's quite apparent your application didn't have the capacity in the cylinder and hose to get the "back flush" thing going on to bleed it out!

#3 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3938 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

Once it dawned on my pea brain that air could be the problem other than relocating tractor from tongue on caddy to left rear wheel of caddy & connecting/disconnecting the hose it wasn't that difficult.   But I was about to remove the single acting cylinder because I was thinking the cylinder piston seal had failed that is it has a piston seal. I've seen combine & SP windrower platform lift cylinders without a piston seal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors