Twine issue New Holland 648 Autowrap - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Twine issue New Holland 648 Autowrap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lsramek

lsramek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:16 AM

I am having an issue with my New Holland 648 Autowrap baler and wondering if you guys can help.  The problem I have is when the baler trips the tying operation the arms drop but the twine does not start feeding so I end up with bales with no twine in the middle of the bale but tied on ends.  I am using the same twine as I have always used, twine is routed correctly, but seems to be more difficult to pull out from arms than it should be not sure if this is the issue or if something else.  Baling sudan and windrows usually are pretty heavy.  Also I am looking for a service manual, does anyone know where I can get one.

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15344 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:34 PM

Mike10 is all things NH being as he is a NH mechanic. He usually checks things out here in the evenings most days. He will help you for sure. 

Regards, Mike

#3 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 19 July 2020 - 04:56 PM

I have a 648 that I've had a lot of trouble with the twine. This year going by what Mike 10 has said I loosened up the bullets on the end of the twine arms so they had hardly any tension on them and loosened the tensioners in the twine box and so far its almost been flawless. I have the bullets as loose as I can make them with the bolts that are in there even put in a longer bolt after the nut fell off the end one day. Loosen it up I think you'll be happy.

#4 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Locationupstate South Carolina

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:24 PM

I had that same problem this year, like said loosen the bullet in the end of the arm and make sure the twine isn't wrapped around it... like mine was... I still have plenty of tension on the tensioners tho...

#5 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2294 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

You need some tension at the bullets to keep the twine from popping up the twine arm when the twine is cut.  

I remove all tension from the tension plates.  I have also skipped the twine guide directly above the twine ball closest to the tension plates.

A groove will form in the end of the twine arm over time which can allow the twine to pop up the twine arm.  Switch the twine tubes side to side to get a new wear surface.

#6 lsramek

lsramek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

Thanks guys, will give your input a try.  Hopefully will fix the issue.

#7 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:55 PM

You need some tension at the bullets to keep the twine from popping up the twine arm when the twine is cut.  

I remove all tension from the tension plates.  I have also skipped the twine guide directly above the twine ball closest to the tension plates.

A groove will form in the end of the twine arm over time which can allow the twine to pop up the twine arm.  Switch the twine tubes side to side to get a new wear surface.

I have a little tension on the bullets, with the 4 1/2 inch bolts that are in there it still seems kinda tight. Have the nut so it's flush on end of the bolt and it ended up falling off. So on the side that bothered the most, the right side, I put a 5 inch bolt which needed a shim to get tight enough and it works great. So not saying you should have no tension on the bullets guess you have to find a happy medium

#8 farmer dave

farmer dave

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmid missouri

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:58 PM

On my new Holland 660 the manual said to set so it takes 6lbs or less to pull twine. I had set mine to tight had a lot of problems getting twine to start. If I used twine that was slick would also have more trouble. 

Good luck 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors