need help with 605D vermeer roller. - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

need help with 605D vermeer roller.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ErnieMc

ErnieMc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon, KY

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

I have a 605D Vermeer roller which I replaced the upper feed roller including all bearings last fall. I also replaced other worn bearings and gears. Trying to get it ready for this hay season. It picks up just fine, but will not start a roll. I kept trying till I burned the clutch out, so I replaced the clutch. It still will not start a roll. HELP PLEASE?

#2 Cozyacres

Cozyacres

Grass Farmer

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Wisconsin

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:12 PM

Welcome to HayTalk,

do you have the service /operators manuals from Vermeer, they will send you a set free if you don't.

I have a 604L, never had a problem starting a bale, unless the hay was too wet, but your D is a different animal, are all the rollers and belts turning?

#3 luke strawwalker

luke strawwalker

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2967 posts
  • LocationNeedville and Shiner, TX

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:39 AM

Starter roll flaps??  Starter roll turning the correct way, (got a chain backwards or something like that?)  I'm not a Vermeer expert, but I DO know that if the starter roller flaps are not good on those older balers they won't start a bale for crap in tough conditions... I baled the neighbors hay more than once when his old Vermeer simply refused to start a bale in tough conditions.  Vermeers are just VERY finicky that way... even the new ones, if the rubber pickup teeth get "weak" because the rubber is old, they start having a LOT of trouble starting a bale, particularly in tough conditions... 

Good luck with it hope an old hand with Vermeer experience chimes in soon... shouldn't burn up a clutch with it not starting a bale... sounds like it might be "trying" but if something's turning the wrong way it's pulling hay where it doesn't belong and jamming the machine up maybe??  Something AIN'T RIGHT... 

Later and good luck!  OL J R :) 

#4 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:53 PM

I agree with worn pickup teeth being a culprit. The way I was told to troubleshoot teeth was to slow down and see if the baler starts picking up better (less pressure on the teeth). I have a Super I and it made a noticeable difference when I replaced the teeth. Does a D have a spiral or square starter roll? I have heard of the square rollers wearing and causing problems. The spiral would have to get bent to be a problem I think, otherwise you should be able to adjust the scraper clearance. 

Checking the roller clearances will also make a huge difference.

If it is similar to other balers it would be pretty hard and/or obvious if you had a chain running on the wrong side of a sprocket, more likely that a sprocket or chain is worn and jumping.

The Vermeer's I have been around (Super I , Rebel, 6640) will eat hay unless it is really wet. Starting a bale is one of their best features.

• Cozyacres likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors