False high moisture readings when applying propionic acid - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

False high moisture readings when applying propionic acid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Taiga

Taiga

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPeace River Region BC

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:45 AM

I use a Harvest Tec system on my round baler. When preservative is being applied it is common for the moisture to increase and read high. My system is automatic, as moisture increases, the application rate increases, etc. Basically using too much preservative than is necessary and is expensive. Is there a calibration factor or something that I should be using?

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

I have a Harvest Tec automatic system and I would say no to your question of making your reading a lot higher. 

However, not knowing your baler and where your nozzles and sensor pads are, I could be very wrong.  I have a 5' (61.5") NH RB. my nozzles are spaced about 15" in front outer edge of the baler.  The 3 nozzles spaced about 15" apart, then two other nozzles right in the middle (see attached to try to clear the mud).

So with my baler, I'm spraying very little product on the edge of the bale (my sensors are mounted on the sides or the bale chamber).  Your baler could be completely different, hence my hedging the bet.  ;)

Larry

Attached Files

#3 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4057 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:47 AM

How sporadic and at what point does the moisture rise. Sometimes on a round baler the moisture increases from the time you start the bale , until the pressure gets to the level the baler is set for . 

#4 Hay diddle diddle

Hay diddle diddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationAus

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

If its automatic surely you can adjust the volume being applied and the moisture% that each stage comes in at. I certainly can on my big square baler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors