• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey

Mikey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:31 AM

have a Kuhn gmd 700 and would like to know how to cut around corners, are you supposed to round them off or square them off. If square them off do you pick up the 3pt. or just the hydraulics?

Thanks,

#2 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:12 AM

I usually start by rounding them off but after a few trips around the field seems like it gets harder to make the corner without lifting it up and backing up to end up with a square corner. Otherwise for me anyway I would end up missing too much, Good luck

• Mikey likes this

#3 Mikey

Mikey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:29 AM

Thanks, for the reply.  When picking it up with the 3pt with p.t.o. running, It makes a terrible sound is that normal?

#4 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, for the reply.  When picking it up with the 3pt with p.t.o. running, It makes a terrible sound is that normal?

Terrible sounds are never normal IMHO.  :o   Sounds like your are really putting the universals to the test.  Which I wouldn't do if at all possible. Is your top link adjusted properly?

Larry

• HayMike, somedevildawg, Tim/South and 3 others like this

#5 Mikey

Mikey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

Terrible sounds are never normal IMHO.  :o   Sounds like your are really putting the universals to the test.  Which I wouldn't do if at all possible. Is your top link adjusted properly?

Larry

I'm talking about from the belts, sorry for the confusion.  They are jumping and skipping all over the place, I know this because the back is off the mower.

#6 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9453 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

I'm talking about from the belts, sorry for the confusion.  They are jumping and skipping all over the place, I know this because the back is off the mower.

Take pic or two and post them and your hookup.....

#7 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

Terrible sounds are never normal IMHO. 

You should hear me getting out of bed in the morning....
  • DSLinc1017, Snow Farmer, r82230 and 1 other like this

#8 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:52 PM

The disc mowers I have used (Krone & Kuhn) there is a 'mowing position' for the bar lock.  It allows you to set the lift and leave it alone. When you need to raise the bar to make turns use the hydraulics and the bar will raise  closer to even.

• Tim/South likes this

#9 TessiersFarm

TessiersFarm

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:40 AM

I mow around the corners on the first couple then lift and reverse after that. I have a New Holland H6740, and lift with the mower hydraulics. Never really use the 3 point hydraulics. With my reverser I can do a square corner in 10 seconds (timed a bunch).

#10 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:09 AM

You should hear me getting out of bed in the morning....

Either lack of lubrication of some u-joints, over work/abused years ago of same u-joints or possibly too much adult beverage lubrication previous day, could be contributing factors is my guess.  Seems you are too far up wind to hear the all the symptoms HERE.  That's my SWAG.  :lol:  :P  :lol:

Larry

• DSLinc1017 and Wethay like this

#11 Mikey

Mikey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

The disc mowers I have used (Krone & Kuhn) there is a 'mowing position' for the bar lock.  It allows you to set the lift and leave it alone. When you need to raise the bar to make turns use the hydraulics and the bar will raise  closer to even.

Since, I bought this equipment used I got no manual.  Where is this "mowing position" you speak of?

#12 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:18 PM

I think if you register with Kuhn you can get/download the manuals. Here is a link from manuals.lib. The picture in 30A sets the bar to the working position. Hopefully you can see the rest of the manual.

https://www.manualsl...?page=25#manual

• Mikey likes this

#13 luke strawwalker

luke strawwalker

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2967 posts
  • LocationNeedville and Shiner, TX

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:44 AM

Really no need to do "square corners" with a disk or drum mower... not like a sickle where cutting over the last swath will usually cause a jam-up... I just pull in, lower the mower to the right height, and take off... roundy-round til I do the entire field, make my corners at 6 mph... when I'm done, a quick trip out and back in an "X" pattern from each corner of the field to the center cleans up all the little "crescent moon" uncut bits where I rounded off the corners... That tiny bit of recutting doesn't hurt a thing.  Don't have to pick the mower up AT ALL until I shut it down and then leave the field... 

Works for me!  OL J R :) 

• DSLinc1017, Tx Jim and dvcochran like this

#14 eberlej

eberlej

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, Texas

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:42 AM

Like Strawwalker said, make circles and mop up the corners at the end.
  • dvcochran likes this

#15 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

"Like Strawwalker said, make circles and mop up the corners at the end."

That's how I have always cut my hay, most of my fields are relatively narrow but long. I always try to make a nice square corner and that works early in the cut. But as I cut toward the center, inevitably there is grass left in the corners. Worse is that the long sides of my fields are not parallel, I always end up with a triangular section in the middle which forces me to run over the cut crop, over and over.

#16 Toxxie24

Toxxie24

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMS

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:59 PM

"Like Strawwalker said, make circles and mop up the corners at the end."

That's how I have always cut my hay, most of my fields are relatively narrow but long. I always try to make a nice square corner and that works early in the cut. But as I cut toward the center, inevitably there is grass left in the corners. Worse is that the long sides of my fields are not parallel, I always end up with a triangular section in the middle which forces me to run over the cut crop, over and over.

I like start in the middle and work out. just straight up and down the full length of the field. when it gets too far between sides I skip over and do it again or make a round around one of the sides then a back cut. This is with a 3 pt hitch disc mower and long narrow fields of mixed grass hay. This way may not work for everyone but it suits me.

#17 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:48 AM

I like start in the middle and work out. just straight up and down the full length of the field. when it gets too far between sides I skip over and do it again or make a round around one of the sides then a back cut. This is with a 3 pt hitch disc mower and long narrow fields of mixed grass hay. This way may not work for everyone but it suits me.

Different strokes for different folks but there's too much time wasted cutting with your method to suit me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors