PSA/FYI rd baler fires & need for fire extinguisher - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

PSA/FYI rd baler fires & need for fire extinguisher

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3922 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

Today my '05 JD 467 rd baler was almost a memory.  A brg went out & caught some hay inside baler on fire. Fortunately my employee saw the flames,ejected the bale then grabbed the 2-1/2 gallon fire extinguisher filled with water & "Fire Out". Employee got fire put out before much damage was done. Now I need to replace the 2 brgs on that roller so hopefully the bale count will make it to 27,000

• Vol, DSLinc1017, ozarkian and 6 others like this

#2 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9427 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

Good reminder at your expense Jim, hopefully it will be straightforward with little in the way of surprises.....
If you’re in a hayfield friends and you’re working.....especially baling, keep a H20 extinquisher handy. We have a few ready, mix water and dawn and it’s amazing how well it works for grass fires. Your insurance company should furnish them .... but they don’t :o
  • ozarkian, Troy Farmer, Snow Farmer and 1 other like this

#3 PaulN

PaulN

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:59 PM

I'm so happy for you Jim! That could have been a total disaster, but now it's only a two bearing job.

I had a close call two years ago with a hot bearing and some smoldering chaff. Needless to say, I bought a fire extinguisher the next day.

• JD3430 likes this

#4 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3922 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:33 AM

Thanks. I know I was very lucky that my rd hay baler operator quickly determined there was a fire. I lost a rd hay baler to a fire several yrs back when a bottom tailgate roller failed. I thought I had it extinguished 3 times then I ran out of water so I disconnected baler from tractor so it didn't catch on fire. One thing is for sure all brand rd balers can burn so everyone be careful while baling!!

• Trillium Farm, dvcochran and Mikey like this

#5 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3189 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

You got that right, they all burn.  An alert operator is the best burned baler prevention. 

• Vol and Troy Farmer like this

#6 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

My biggest fear is fire. I constantly grease the bearings in the hopes that lubrication is a type of fire prevention. Always carry the water extinguisher and recently switched to an easier to remove tractor hitch pin. 

• Troy Farmer likes this

#7 seventyfourci

seventyfourci

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Locationnorth texas

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

JD3430 what brand balers do you use as far greasing the bearings? I am pretty limited on bearings I can grease on my rd baler.

#8 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

JD3430 what brand balers do you use as far greasing the bearings? I am pretty limited on bearings I can grease on my rd baler.

New Holland BR7060 silage special 

#9 Jerry/MT

Jerry/MT

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:55 PM

I had a bearing failure and a near fire on a NH688 last week. I thought the bale command buzzer went off so i kicked out the bale. Turned out it was the bearing squealing as it failed. i went back to check and saw some smoke. I had some bottled water in the cab and i pulled out the smoldering wisp of hay and poured on the water. Worked this time but I really need a fire extinguisher since you never know when a bearing will fail. 

• carcajou, somedevildawg, JD3430 and 2 others like this

#10 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9427 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:00 PM

yes, if you didn’t have that little bit of water.....coulda been trouble. For about $100-$150 you can find these....Attached File  3DF07AEC-A9F2-4797-9721-84C0181A2308.png   1.1MB   0 downloads
  • carcajou, Tx Jim and r82230 like this

#11 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1780 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:06 PM

Cheaper this way, make em any size you want too.

Attached File  july 2020 067.jpg   127.9KB   0 downloads

• Vol and somedevildawg like this

#12 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:18 PM

Trouble with that is you can't carry it on the baler. If its across a 40 acre field then it's too far away. Water extinguisher on the baler and a dry extinguisher in the cab.
  • JD3430 likes this

#13 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:21 PM

I might add a second badger water FE to my baler. 

#14 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9427 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:22 PM

Ima bettin he’s got a smaller one just like it.....at least with a small one you can stave off the fire until the “big boy” arrives :D I bet that baby will hold some juice....they may call you for a small house fire Ray :o

#15 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1780 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:27 AM

Ima bettin he’s got a smaller one just like it.....at least with a small one you can stave off the fire until the “big boy” arrives :D I bet that baby will hold some juice....they may call you for a small house fire Ray :o

No house fires yet, thank God. lol   Every baler has a 2 1/2 gallon on it so we may have 2 or more in a field at a time. But..if that baler starts a ground fire, or if the roller itself gets hot a couple of them small ones is not enough. I saved several hundred acres of wheat one year when a buddys combine started multiple fires, and they work well for washing out radiators in the field too.  Just cheap insurance in my mind.  Only cost $25 bucks to make too.

• Vol, somedevildawg, Tx Jim and 1 other like this

#16 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

If you always have the truck handy there is no reason not have a big extinguisher. I bale hay 30 miles each direction from home by myself so the truck is at the shop and just the tractor and baler travels, so all I have with me is what I can carry on the baler and in the cab.
  • JD3430 likes this

#17 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:51 AM

If you always have the truck handy there is no reason not have a big extinguisher. I bale hay 30 miles each direction from home by myself so the truck is at the shop and just the tractor and baler travels, so all I have with me is what I can carry on the baler and in the cab.

Me too...... life of a roadie making mulch king hay......Still catches fire tho. :mad:

I have let my guard down a little too much. Have one good size badger water extinguisher and used to carry the Indian pump, too. Got tired of carrying it, but thinking about remounting it somewhere on tractor, just not a lot of flat places to mount. :huh:  I figure if I mount it on the baler, it might be a little too hot by the time I get to it.  :o

#18 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3189 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

I won’t mount an extinguisher on the baler either.  Made custom mounts for the 2-1/2 gallon extinguishers that go on the tractor frames, right near the cab steps.

• Vol and JD3430 like this

#19 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:23 AM

I won’t mount an extinguisher on the baler either.  Made custom mounts for the 2-1/2 gallon extinguishers that go on the tractor frames, right near the cab steps.

do you have pictures of mounts?

#20 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3189 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:28 PM

do you have pictures of mounts?

I had pictures of them.  Not sure if I will get them back as I drowned my phone a couple days ago.  I’ll post some sometime if I remember.

• JD3430 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors