Bermuda grass growers what is your herbicide program? - Weed and Pest Management - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Bermuda grass growers what is your herbicide program?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

I am trying to figure out a good herbicide program for my irrigated Bermuda grass field. The last few years I have started to get a little crab grass in my field this year 1st cutting was ok but now it has gotten pretty bad. So trying to figure out a plan of attack next year as I think it may be a little to late this year to do anything. In years past I have use 4qts of prowell h20 in early spring and it has worked ok for 1st and 2nd cutting but not great. I’m just trying to find out you guys with the Beautiful weed / grass free Bermuda fields what are you doing to get and keep it that way way. Thank you.

#2 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9439 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:39 PM

I wish I could give you a sure fire remedy, but it ain’t happening......can control most everything but crabgrass. Idk about prowl, but it’s better than nothing....just kinda pricey.
Keep them cut before going to seed, but that’s really hard to do.....
Cadre if you’re willing to loose a cut.....that’s a tough one.
Spot spray with cadre....that’s a pita but doable
Like I said, I’m of little help in regards to crabgrass
It’s a long term deal for sure.....
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#3 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:41 AM

MSMA will smoke it

• Troy Farmer likes this

#4 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:19 AM

MSMA will smoke it

Yea I sure wish it was labeled for hay. I know a lot of people use it but I’m just to scared to on horse hay.

#5 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:30 AM

I hope I'm not cursing myself by saying this.  I had a pretty bad crabgrass problem in my coastal.  I started using Prowl (Satellite) and for the past two years crabgrass has been a non issue.  There is a new pre emergent out this year by Corteva. From what I remember I think it would replace Prowl. 

My problem is dallisgrass.

Sorry, Bayer not Corteva. Rezilon Herbicide.

• somedevildawg likes this

#6 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:17 AM

I hope I'm not cursing myself by saying this. I had a pretty bad crabgrass problem in my coastal. I started using Prowl (Satellite) and for the past two years crabgrass has been a non issue. There is a new pre emergent out this year by Corteva. From what I remember I think it would replace Prowl.

My problem is dallisgrass.

Sorry, Bayer not Corteva. Rezilon Herbicide.

Yea I have been reading a little on the Rezilon still not sure about it as it causes a toupee effect not sure if that is a issue or not but also was told that it is going to cost about $130.00 a acer to spray labeled rate in hybrid Bermuda.

#7 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

Yea I sure wish it was labeled for hay. I know a lot of people use it but I’m just to scared to on horse hay.

your local chem supplier should be able to help you with the label situation. if my memory is correct here is an example: Cadre that is mentioned above is labeled for peanuts but it has the same chemical as Plateau that is labeled for hay. last time i used Cadre it was about 1/5 the price of Plateau

#8 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9439 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

MSMA won’t get it, must be another grass......I’ve used MSMA at 1 qt per acre and it didn’t touch it....I’ve used MSMA with surfactant and crop oil, no luck whatsoever. Interestingly enuf, I did spray a few days ago some Basagran and it burnt the tips of the leaves, hoping it would stunt it enuf to not go to seed, it came back like it wasn’t sprayed. Pastoral doesn’t faze it.....paramount, cadre, etc. will get it. Good luck, report back if you happen to stumble onto something.

#9 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:39 AM

MSMA won’t get it, must be another grass......I’ve used MSMA at 1 qt per acre and it didn’t touch it....I’ve used MSMA with surfactant and crop oil, no luck whatsoever. Interestingly enuf, I did spray a few days ago some Basagran and it burnt the tips of the leaves, hoping it would stunt it enuf to not go to seed, it came back like it wasn’t sprayed. Pastoral doesn’t faze it.....paramount, cadre, etc. will get it. Good luck, report back if you happen to stumble onto something.

Attached Files

• Attached File  6.jpg   306.59KB   0 downloads

#10 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:27 AM

It will kill it but you got to use high rate 2qts to the acer and then spray it again in 7-10 days at 2qts to the acer again it takes a high rate to kill it and even then sometimes it will recover but I have never sprayed it on hay ground.

#11 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

Rezilon cost will be comparable to Prowl. It will control a host of annual grasses and broadleaves. Apply around Valentine’s Day for summer weeds or in August/September to control winter weeds. Year round control: apply at the above timing with split application. Yield studies on various Bermuda grasses as well as Bahia showed not detrimental impacts on yields.

#12 TJ Hendren

TJ Hendren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationN.E. Okla

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

MSMA requires 90 plus degrees to work effectively, use to say that on the label don't know if it still does. I stopped using it years ago, it is a form of arsenic.   

#13 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:41 AM

Rezilon cost will be comparable to Prowl. It will control a host of annual grasses and broadleaves. Apply around Valentine’s Day for summer weeds or in August/September to control winter weeds. Year round control: apply at the above timing with split application. Yield studies on various Bermuda grasses as well as Bahia showed not detrimental impacts on yields.

That makes it more appealing if price is comparable. My Bermuda is pretty well established it’s not sod but doesn’t have any bare spots larger then a base ball so Guessing it would be ok to use. I think I am going to try it this spring if I can get my hands on some. May try half field in prowell and half Rezilon see what results I get.

#14 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:22 PM

I can’t seem to get a pic posted from my phone, but I’ll share a link to my twitter page. Just posted a pic of Prowl vs Rezilon.
https://twitter.com/...1110376450?s=21

#15 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

I can’t seem to get a pic posted from my phone, but I’ll share a link to my twitter page. Just posted a pic of Prowl vs Rezilon.
https://twitter.com/...1110376450?s=21

Wow that pretty good. Do you know what rate that was and time of year applied?

#16 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

Wow that pretty good. Do you know what rate that was and time of year applied?

This was 3 fl oz/A applied first week of March. I didn’t see any crabgrass up at that time (this was in AL), but farmer included 1 qt Roundup in as he wanted to control ryegrass in the demo also. Rezilon is lights out on ryegrass, and it will sure tell on you if you don’t overlap your spray pattern. The 3+3 program I mentioned above usually results in clean Bermuda the entire year.
I tell growers all the time that this isn’t Prowl, where you want to try and get as close to seed germination as possible, but earlier is better. I’d rather someone apply it 2 months before germination than 2 days before. Like all PREs, it needs rainfall or irrigation.
  • somedevildawg and Troy Farmer like this

#17 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

This was 3 fl oz/A applied first week of March. I didn’t see any crabgrass up at that time (this was in AL), but farmer included 1 qt Roundup in as he wanted to control ryegrass in the demo also. Rezilon is lights out on ryegrass, and it will sure tell on you if you don’t overlap your spray pattern. The 3+3 program I mentioned above usually results in clean Bermuda the entire year.
I tell growers all the time that this isn’t Prowl, where you want to try and get as close to seed germination as possible, but earlier is better. I’d rather someone apply it 2 months before germination than 2 days before. Like all PREs, it needs rainfall or irrigation.

Good deal thanks for the info. Does it work to prevent any other grass like signal or barnyard grass?

#18 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:53 PM

I have not seen it on enough broadleaf signal to say for sure, but it definitely has activity on barnyard. Some of the first hayfields it was tested in were up in TN that has barnyard as primary weed and it did a great job on it.

#19 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9439 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:18 PM

Prowl H2O didn’t work that well for me....and it was pricey. When was that pic taken, earlier in the year? If so, Did you have any come up later? And if ya or nay, did you reapply?

#20 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9439 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:22 PM

MSMA requires 90 plus degrees to work effectively, use to say that on the label don't know if it still does. I stopped using it years ago, it is a form of arsenic.

Ya I generally spot spray now, my main target with MSMA is Vasey grass, once under control, it’s not too bad to somewhat eradicate (for a minute). I don’t like spraying the 1qt pa, couldn’t imagine spraying any more....At 1qt it doesn’t faze this crabgrass I have, but will smoke vasey....just needs that crop oil. I try to give a lot of distance around the ponds as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors