• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blb078

blb078

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMO & WY

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:22 PM

Has anyone  tried any of these salt tolerant alfalfa seeds? If so what was the outcome and with what brands? We have a section I wouldn't mind trying something on but wasn't sure how good the seeds are. 

#2 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4054 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:42 PM

Has anyone  tried any of these salt tolerant alfalfa seeds? If so what was the outcome and with what brands? We have a section I wouldn't mind trying something on but wasn't sure how good the seeds are. 

New to me ?  Does this mean the seed , Or seedling , Or the established plant is tolerant to salt.

#3 blb078

blb078

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMO & WY

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:48 PM

New to me ?  Does this mean the seed , Or seedling , Or the established plant is tolerant to salt.

The seed. I just did a random internet search about planting in saline soils and saw some places had salt tolerant alfalfa seed so figured I'd inquire on here before I dropped any money on it. 

#4 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8457 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

https://www.alforexs...fx-457-alfalfa/

click on the managment guide for saline soils

We don't have issue here with saline soils so havent sold any of the Hi Salt varieties

#5 blb078

blb078

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMO & WY

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:53 PM

https://www.alforexs...fx-457-alfalfa/

click on the managment guide for saline soils

We don't have issue here with saline soils so havent sold any of the Hi Salt varieties

Yea, something like this is what I was curious about. There are other out there too just wanted to know how they perform when actually planting them in high saline soils. In WY pretty much any spot high saline areas are bare so I'm not sure if people just don't try out these salt tolerant seeds or maybe they just aren't that good. 

#6 Hay diddle diddle

Hay diddle diddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationAus

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:59 PM

Most varieties with high salt tolerance seem to be winter active. May not suit you if you need dormancy due to snow?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: salt, alfalfa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors