NH 660 round baler, bales size fluctuates in monitor - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

NH 660 round baler, bales size fluctuates in monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim VanDenHoek

Tim VanDenHoek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMilk River, Alberta

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:27 PM

My bale size is constantly fluctuating in the monitor. It is stable when the tractor is running, but when i turn on the PTO the bale size starts the fluctuate, when i start to make a bale it fluctuates  to 32" then 40" then 36" or 48" all over the place making it impossible to follow the monitor to make a bale. I am assuming it a broken wire or loose connection. 

Any help on how to find which wire or connection would be greatly appreciated.

#2 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

Most likely the bale size potentiometer is the problem.

#3 Tim VanDenHoek

Tim VanDenHoek

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

I tried opening and closing the tail gate while watching the bale size change, and it seems ok.

I removed the potentiometer linkage and moved it slowly, the bale size seems to change just as one would expect, so I am guessing the potentiometer is ok.

When I close the tail gate the bale size stays stable at 30", but as soon as I turn on the PTO the bale size fluctuates back and forth as much as 48". It seems like the increase in vibration caused by the PTO turning on all  the baler components is causing a broken wire or bad connection to affect the indicated bale size.

Is there a common place for broken wires or poor conections which could be causing this problem?

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks.

#4 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:08 AM

If you go to my pinned thread at the top of the machinery forum list you will find the wiring schematic for the 660 baler.  If a wire was broken from the baler controller to the operators panel, you would have other issues.  While possible a wire from the potentiometer to the controller is broken, I have never seen one on that model.  Your description of the problem is what you see when the potentiometer is bad.  The vibration of the baler running is different than moving the lever by hand.  You can wiggle the wires while the baler is not running and see if you can get the bale size to change. 

#5 Tim VanDenHoek

Tim VanDenHoek

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 AM

Big shout out to Mike 10, thanks for all your help, we swaped out a potentiometer from another baler and it works perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors