Hemp Dogbane and Milkweed...herbicide?, mowing? - Weed and Pest Management - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Hemp Dogbane and Milkweed...herbicide?, mowing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Edd in KY

Edd in KY

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:02 PM

I am fighting a surge in both of these weeds in spots in my grass hay fields. It comes in strong after 1st cutting, and is taller than the grass, so I suppose i could weed wipe it. I can also top clip it to reduce seed formation. Or I could spray it and wait before second cutting of grass hay. Temperatures are near 90F so herbicides are less effective and volatile. 

I would like to hear your experiences.  timing? What herbicide? Does clipping help? Same herbicide for both weeds? Weed wiper experience good or bad? 

Thanks for your input.

• jr in va likes this

#2 Farmerbrown2

Farmerbrown2

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1161 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

I’m in the same situation waiting for a miracle to come along. Some fields I am getting ready to kill completely and start over. Others I plan on going on with a product this fall possibly Banvil . I have also been doing soil testing and realize I need to get my soil in better condition.
  • jr in va likes this

#3 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2562 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

Surmount.  Works well

#4 TJ Hendren

TJ Hendren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationN.E. Okla

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:50 PM

With dogbane you will have to use something that will get to the roots before the top burns down or you just as well walk out there and whiz on it. I use Hi-Dep, Surmount is hard to find here. If you till dogbane before its dead you will have just planted next years bigger crop of it. Think of it a the broadleaf Johnsongrass as far as spreading goes.

• 8350HiTech likes this

#5 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5416 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:00 PM

Yes every chopped piece of milkweed root reseeds a new plant.

I have been spot spraying with round up but milestone, crossbow etc anything with triclopyr or aminopylrolyd in it will nuke them if they are growing.
  • jr in va likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors