Dilute CropSaver??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PACattleman

PACattleman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:08 AM

Hi, I bought a BR 740 several years ago. It had a Harvestec system on it from a dealer. Farm Dealer supplied a new console for the Harvestec in the cab.  Anyways the Harvestec was a piece of $h!t. It would only turn on about 1 time out of 5.  Some days it wouldn't turn on at all. Next day it might work.      Harvestec blamed problem on connections. I being in the electronic business, soldered all the connections except the one into the console.  No major improvement. so I scrapped that piece of junk. (HAMMER)

I still have the pumps, and I built a speed control box. I now have a New  Holland cab mounted moisture display.  I also use a foot switch to shut off pump when not needed.   Last year we used Haysaver,  salesman told us we could dilute it to work with nozzles he supplied.   I just bought a mini drum of CropSaver to try, not sure if the nozzles I have, 800015 will work at 4 lbs  per ton.  My math tells me 8 lbs per ton is about as low as I can get it.  

Another reason, too fine a mist and the wind blowing, you lose some of the spray.  SO my question is , any reason I can't dilute the CropSaver 50% with distilled water?

#2 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3198 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:17 AM

I would not.  For one thing, then you are adding more water to your hay which is exactly what you don’t want.   Second, the added water will no doubt affect the freeze point of CropSaver, which in its unaltered state won’t freeze at any temps we see out here in the midwest.  Quite nice not to ever have to worry about winterizing the baler.  Between nozzles and pressure you should be able to get the target rate you need.  Too bad Harvest Tech didn’t figure out what was wrong with your applicator because in my experience they are trouble free.

• r82230 likes this

#3 billkrostek

billkrostek

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Locationpalmer alaska

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:44 PM

one gal of water is 8 lbs to a ton of hay. That adds .4% water to your hay. So if I was you and it helps.use it. I find that if I add one gallon of water to 5 gals of CS I get a finer mist and better coverage. just remember your spraying less acid so figure that in.

#4 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3380 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

Do you have one pump or three pumps?  In either case, seems you should be able to get the proper tips or maybe adjust the pressure to control the volume issue.

Larry

• dvcochran likes this

#5 PACattleman

PACattleman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:56 PM

Do you have one pump or three pumps?  In either case, seems you should be able to get the proper tips or maybe adjust the pressure to control the volume issue.

Larry

I have the  pumps, but only have one wired in. I played with a 800067 tip today. it only seems to spray about 20 " wide. Two tips would cover the width.   Chart says one nozzle @ 40 PSI =.067gal /minute . CS says 4 # /ton ,  8# /ton and 16 # /ton

What would be work would be nozzle/s that I could use a lower PSI, then 40 ( for the 8 #  rate ) and then higher PSI I can vary pump pressure with my speed control.    Our bales weight about 600 to 650 lbs.   Allowing 3 minutes to make a bale, two tips would be spraying  .17GPM  x 3 M =  .51 Gal  ( 4.5 # ) per Bale which is 14.5 LB/Ton , which is near the max rate.     This is why I ask about diluting the CS.  With these nozzles, I am close to the max rate, Which I would seldom need.  Most of my hay seems to fall in the 20- 26% range.  I would only dilute what I put in the spray tank that I am using.  ( not the stored CS.)    I am concerned with the very fine Spray mist. A lot of the product will be blown away.

#6 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3198 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:40 PM

3 minutes to make a bale is pretty slow.  Unless you are dealing with rough ground and smaller windrows I would think it should take about half that time to make a bale.  

I know the Harvest Tec applicator on our big square baler came with two sets of 3 nozzles, one for higher rates and one for lower rates.  Next time I get over to the dairy I will try to remember see what information I can find.  

Also going to say the max rate sounds really high.  The rates that I recall are 4, 6, and 10 lbs per ton and they work for us on big square bales. 

#7 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10865 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:22 PM

When I was using acid I applied 4, 8 and 16 as was suggested. Never had an issue with too fine a mist on the 4lb but if it was heavy enough hay too need acid I was spitting a thousand pound bale out in 30 seconds or so. If not rake more together. Using Hayguard now and still using the big tips to apply 2, 3, and 5 lbs. Keep the pickup full at all times and having it float away won’t be an issue. I also installed a couple pieces of belting from a thrower on each side sheet of the baler extending down to the pickup to keep the wind from messing with the spray pattern. This is on a BR740A. 

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3380 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:57 AM

Got to agree folks, seems you are baling a lot slower than I am.  Now, with that said, IDK your conditions either.

One thing to remember with CS, it's more like a shot gun verses a rifle when it comes to applying. 

I see on CS site they are recommending the 4, 8 & 16# rates for stem moisture (under 22%, 22-26% and 26-30%). 2, 6 &12# for dew moisture. 

As Gear mentions there could be two different size tips available, you might want to see if you are using the low output ones.  You can go to the Harvest Tec site and find the parts manual for your model (if you know which one it is, they could be interchangeable too).

See attached page from HT, installation manual that shows the different tips.  Perhaps you can call them, they have been extremely helpful in my case.

Larry

PS see where I 'forgot' to attach the PDF. :o

Attached Files

• Attached File  Tips.pdf   233.06KB   2 downloads

Edited by r82230, 12 July 2020 - 04:11 PM.

#9 PACattleman

PACattleman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

Three minutes might be a little high.   I know with the HayGuard  we were doing a bale every 1.5 minutes, on first cutting.    I normally bale and wrap all my hay.  Now that we sold the beef cow herd, we are changing to mostly dry hay for sale.  Still plan on wrapping most 1st cutting unless the weather cooperates.  I will most likely keep 30-40  feeders around to use up the haylage and junk bales.  To be honest, I never timed making second cutting hay,  I am mowing with 12' Discbine, tedding a little later and then when ML drops to about 35 - 40% raking two passes together with a Kuhn  rotary rake.  

If 1.5 Minutes makes a bale, then my setup should work good.   Hope to cut 17 acres tomorrow here in central PA.  I we report back when I get done baling.   Thank you guys for all the info.  

#10 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4057 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

Years ago i attended a Messicks NH Open House . They had an information session on Crop Saver. They said never dilute with water. ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors