Baling high moisture hay with JD 530 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Baling high moisture hay with JD 530

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reg

Reg

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

Does anyone bale high moisture hay for haylage/silage with a JD 530? I have a solid steel  bar that is supposed to be a silage kit for this 530 and it's 1''x 2'' x 5ft. Does anyone know where it is supposed to be bolted to in the bale chamber and what it's supposed to do to help bale high moisture hay?

#2 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3938 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:24 AM

Solid bar you refer to is bolted in front of starter roll. It is intended to help keep hay from wrapping around starter roll. JD also offered some spiral pieces(keys 19-20) that go on front belt roller for baling high moisture hay. I personally would not want to attempt to bale high moisture hay with a JD 530 rd baler. I wish you the best of luck on your adventure.

Attached Files

• LaneFarms and somedevildawg like this

#3 Reg

Reg

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

Okay. Thanks for the info and advice. Appreciate it.

#4 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:36 PM

I've baled tons of baleage with a 330 baler that supposedly had a baleage kit installed, sometimes pretty wet. Worked okay on first crop not so great on second.

#5 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3938 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:39 PM

Although I've never rd baled silage type hay but I've have wished I could have done so. All I know is when starting a rd bale of dry hay(15 % -)with JD rd balers I've owned if one happens to pick up a wet slug of hay in the windrow that gets lodged between starter roller & belts just above the starter roll that slug is very difficult to remove. 

#6 clowers

clowers

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:33 PM

Listen to Jim's advice, difficult would be the nicest way to say it.

#7 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:12 AM

I will agree starting a bale with my 330 was always an adventure, really had to make sure no big slugs of hay went into it. Another issue was it didn't take much to plug up the pickup. As long as got a bale started and watched the pickup almost constantly it didn't have any issue baling wet hay. Used it for several years

#8 Reg

Reg

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:12 AM

Okay. Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors