• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 560Dennis

560Dennis

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorth East Ohio

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:15 AM

I have knot run a baler in 55 years, so when I saw the knotters , on this 224 , Mercy technology has changed. 
So from where ever you want please tell me anything you can about what to look for , thank you 🙏 

We have a the manual but I’m 35 miles away and My son is has it . I told many times to read it before he starts into the field. 
I don’t have that luxury, so I was hoping to you will be nice enough to direct me to the most common problems . ❓👀

Shear pins ? 
chain ?

hidden grease fittings 

needles ?

anything maintaining?

this machine has shields all over I can’t see a thing when it operates ,and safety first ! 
thanks again 

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:25 AM

IDK about a massey baler, but most balers have somewhat the same tying sequence.  Here is a really old video that might help you understand what is happening during the tying cycle.  Could be a good starting point because you could see what all moves (and might need lubrication) on your baler.

Larry

• 560Dennis likes this

#3 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5234 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

I’m afraid that video won’t do him much good with Massey knotters, Larry. Probably why he thinks knotters have changed dramatically if he was familiar with NH style 55 years ago. Just an odd bird compared to the more common knotter style.

Slowzuki knows his Massey balers though and I bet he’ll chime in shortly.
  • 560Dennis and r82230 like this

#4 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5416 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:35 AM

The pre inline Massey balers (gehl labelled ones too) had sure tie knotters for at least 50 years. We ran a 224 for a long time and my buddy has a 228 still. They don’t look like regular Deere/NH/Heston knotters and don’t leave a cut tail.

It’s been a while since we had our 224 but the biggest problem we had was bits of plastic twine getting jammed in them.
  • 560Dennis likes this

#5 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5416 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:38 AM

The big problems we had was the slip clutch and over running clutch inside the disc. The previous owner had run grade 2 shear bolts - read the manual it’s supposed to be grade 5 or 8 can’t recall but off course with grade 2 he blew hundreds of shear bolts and it wore out the flywheel bushing and damaged the overrunning clutch.
  • 560Dennis likes this

#6 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1780 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Grade 5 shear bolts.

• 560Dennis likes this

#7 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5416 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

A hint of what is under one of the covers:

Attached File  DSC07517.JPG   119KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC07518.JPG   112.95KB   0 downloads

Can see the damaged notches in the photo, didn't grab a pic of the destroyed pawl's.

• 560Dennis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors