hot gearbox in 1431 new holland discbine - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

hot gearbox in 1431 new holland discbine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 S Lazy J Ranch

S Lazy J Ranch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationsouthwestern montana

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

my righthand drive gearbox is way too hot    I changed the gear oil before cutting this spring and the oil was dark.  I cut 110 acres with no problem but when I started a new field I began to get a different sound and found that the gearbox was hot. I checked the oil level and it appeared to be okay.  Is this the end of my discbine?  

#2 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1271 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

How often did you typically change the gearbox oil?  It's possible you picked up some moisture and pitted a bearing.  I would stop running it and pull the gearbox down for inspection.  If you run it till it disintegrates, the gearbox would likely not be rebuildable.

#3 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2357 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:34 PM

Without knowing how hot the gear box is you are shooting in the dark.  Your hot water heater is probably set around 120 degrees, hot enough you do not want to hold your hands under it, but 120 degrees for a gearbox is a cool running gearbox.  Generally a gearbox will run about 50 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature.  Add that to the heat generated by a belt drive and the temperature will be higher.

Now, since you think it sounds differently, then you should investigate closer before any damage is done.  The top bearing on those gearboxes is what usually fails causing internal damage from the debris falling into the gearbox.  Loosening the belt will allow you to see if there is any play in the bearing.

• Vol, luke strawwalker, Palmettokat and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors