• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kasey

Kasey

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNorthwest iowa

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

Last year I fed some husklage to my ewes. It worked great until spring then i had some troubles with listeria. It was 25% moisture and I put it up in a pile packed it and covered it with plastic.

This fall I would like to try bagging it, and maybe adding a preservative to it. I will have 300 ewes but I dont think i could keep up with an 8ft bag.

Do you guys have any other ideas? Culbac vs acid? Or other inoculate?

Tia

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

Do you guys have any other ideas? Culbac vs acid? Or other inoculate?

Tia

RB and individual wrap an option?

Larry

• MtnHerd likes this

#3 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

What was the crop maturity when you harvested the husklage?  Are you referring to husk only or is this actually earlage?  25% is a miserable moisture level to work with, too wet to be dry and too dry to be wet, not at all forgiving.

#4 Kasey

Kasey

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNorthwest iowa

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

I thought about baling it but I think it would add to much cost and it wouldn't be very fun

It's a byproduct of seed corn. They kill the corn and wait for it to dry down so they dont have to dry it so much.
  • endrow likes this

#5 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

The problems I see is that at 25% moisture it is nearly impossible to pack that stuff like a person would silage.  I think your best bet is to bale and wrap it.  I would windrow it using a windrowing stalk chopper, and chase the stalk chopper with the baler.  I know a New Holland 560 round baler with the Specialty Crop package would bale that stuff up pretty well.  Run 1500 psi pressure, don’t make the bale full diameter, and keep the ground speed down.  That will make a bale that will be tighter than anything you can get with a bagger or packing tractor on a pile.

• endrow and stack em up like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors