• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

Just watched a movie about the Drago cornheads and I was very impressed, this company makes Star Trek a reality!

If any of you are using them, are they as good as portrayed?

Beam Me Up Scotty! :D

#2 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2862 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:16 PM

Had a few customers with them. We weren’t dealers for them though. Lots of variable speeds chucked out because of Drago, as well as other brand chopper heads. I did like the self adjusting stripper plates, not sure if they were trouble free though. One guy told me as long as you have a decent dealer for them you are good, if not then you’re better off with standard corn head.

We don’t run chopping head, instead Calmer Stalk Rolls on our Hugger. Will not own another head without Calmers. I think ours cost $1800 a row?
  • Trillium Farm likes this

#3 Pro-soil

Pro-soil

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEast Central IN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:15 PM

Yes in my opinion they are better then a deere I haven't ran the others. I have been running the 2 series 8 row and I wouldn't want to go back to anything else.
  • Trillium Farm likes this

#4 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3189 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:09 PM

They wear out too.  I see a lot of CIH combines using them.  Seems the CIH head ain’t all that great.  It used to be that the JD choppers cut quite a bit finer than the Drago but in the end I don’t think the stalks broke down much faster.  Pretty impressive how much faster chopping head stalks break down than non chopped stalk.  A flail shredder won’t do the same as a chopping head either.

"We don’t run chopping head, instead Calmer Stalk Rolls on our Hugger. Will not own another head without Calmers. I think ours cost $1800 a row?"

I bale stalks behind a lot of different heads, including chopping and knife roll heads.  From what I’ve seen, a sharp knife roll with cut trash up just as fine as a sharp chopper head.  Only difference is a longer stump with a ragged end.

#5 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:08 AM

Yes in my opinion they are better then a deere I haven't ran the others. I have been running the 2 series 8 row and I wouldn't want to go back to anything else.

I must admit that I was impressed by the construction, the assembly line and QC, but have no idea how they worked in the field, but I said to myself if they have been making only cornheads for the last 60 or so years they must be pretty good by now. I also asked myself why have I never heard of this make before? They certainly don't seem to spare $$ when making their promotional films. Maybe they go back to the old italian way of great in engineering concepts and built and lousy at marketing, I've seen this many times. :)

Thanks to all for the opinions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors