Total Newb Question - The HayTalk Learning Center - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Total Newb Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LongNosePete

LongNosePete

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:02 AM

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time viewer. I have a general question regarding the hay hauling business..

Firstly, I have to ask if this is even a lucrative business plan? I am only interested in hauling and won't be farming hay myself. I absolutely don't mind and welcome the long hours of hard work, if it pays off at the end of course .Also, what general knowledge base would I need to be successful?  

Are their load boards for hay haulers? Or do the hay haulers move their own chow? 

Besides a truck and trailer, what sort of other equipment would be needed?

I am simply trying to draw a business plan and would love feedback from experienced folks here.

Thank you for any advice. It is much appreciated!!

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:03 AM

First welcome aboard.

Second, hope you ether haven't bought any equipment or you have other ventures to use equipment in or your rich uncle just died. At least in my area.

My local ag college, publishes a custom rate chart each year, latest one shows large RB at $3.75 per loaded mile, ss bales at $2.55 per loaded mile.  You could plug in what your area has for rates to see if it fit's your business plan.  What the chart doesn't show is who is loading/unloading (especially ss bales  ;) ).

My son does most of the ss bale deliveries in my situation.  Sometimes makes a few bucks, sometimes does a lot of work at less than a dollar or two an hour (and he is charging more than $2.55 per mile).  An example: got stuck with trailer, lady's help didn't show up, had to carry 250 bales, 100 yards across a muddy yard and get buddy to come and pull him out.  What he figured to be an 1 1/2 hour job, was more than 8 hours. 

Note to himself, checks if help is there now, BEFORE hand and scopes out delivery area (usually) before arriving with wagon/trailer (not always YET, see my post of what's in your shop  :cool: ).

i'm not saying you couldn't make a buck or two.  I'm just saying there could be some 'headaches' that you might want to consider.

Larry

• Tim/South and BisonMan like this

#3 LongNosePete

LongNosePete

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

I was referring to simply buying a semi truck and trailers and delivering/hauling hay for the local farms in OR. 

#4 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:16 PM

I have no idea as to the economics of it all...but it should be like hauling anything else with the exception that it would probably be nice if you had a 4wd truck :o
102” wide for sure....load straps and plenty of them.
Unlike most loads, hay will compress and expand as the truck moves. It’s a really great idea to stop every 150 miles or so and check the straps and integrity of the load.
I don’t know about any load boards or such for haulers....
I think most haulers are moving other folks chow....but I’m sure some of them move their own chow :o
Good luck, not a lot of margins in hay, probably follows vertically into the hauling of the chow, but like I said, the economics of it are lost on me.
  • Tim/South likes this

#5 Ray 54

Ray 54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationPaso Robles Ca

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

The west coast is 3 string bales block stacked with NH bale wagon ,or big square bales. Most truckers that move hay regularly need a a hay squeeze to load and unload the 4 ton blocks. May be able to get loaded in bigger hay growing area by someone just running a squeeze. But most truckers don't want to unload 400+ 100 lbs + bales by hand.

Look for hay brokers that may be looking for another truck and have the hay squeeze available  to load and unload.

#6 LongNosePete

LongNosePete

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:30 AM

Ok. Thank you for the feedback.

#7 Wethay

Wethay

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:31 PM

Don't know how far north you want to work. The Willamette valley has a whole bunch of straw that gets moved after harvest.  

#8 LongNosePete

LongNosePete

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:56 PM

I prefer work in OR. So I dont mind, its just finding accounts/contacts to keep me busy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors