• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 880 posts
  • Locationupstate South Carolina

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

I have a first time mamma, calf was born last night or early today, everything looks good but when watching them, the calf concentrates on 1 or 2 tits and it seems to be trying hard to get milk out and the 2 tits look sort of small while the other 2 tits are larger, and it looks like when the calf gets one of the larger ones the cow will gently raise her leg as if the large tits are sore..

I can't get my hands on the cow to check them closer...

If her tits are sore, is their anything I could feed her to combat mastitis, or diagnose it ? 

Hopefully things will be good, I'm just thinking of what if kind of things....

Thanks, Chris

#2 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2942 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

If you could catch her and strip out the tits, mastitis milk will come out looking like cottage cheese. Thick and lumpy.

#3 Tim/South

Tim/South

• Members
  • 3903 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A.

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

Could be the "plug" is still in the two swollen ones. They have a kind of wax stopper until milked. The calf will probably do alright on two faucets for a few days. Once he gets the hang of things he will break things loose. 
If it is indeed mastitis, it will need to be treated.
Are the two smaller ones in the back or on the side? 

• Vol, IHCman and Tx Jim like this

#4 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:28 PM

There is nothing you can add to the feed, ruminating animals cannot be given antibiotics orally. If it is mastitis, it is treated either intravenous or intramammary. But you still have to catch her to make the diagnosis.

I tend to agree with Tim/South, give her a few days and let the calf handle it.

#5 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:40 AM

Thanks fellas, it's the two regular size ones in the back, not the small ones..  I'll watch her a few days, she doesn't seem to have much milk yet but the two front ports are getting all the action right now...

#6 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

Well I think all is good, calf is working all tits, cow is fine now...

• Tim/South and Palmettokat like this

#7 Cowasaurus

Cowasaurus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:00 PM

Tread carefully my friend. Mastitis can be hard to diagnose and if you're like us, milking our black angus cow with an attitude problem wasn't going to happen. There's not much outward signs other than showing discomfort and the calf not getting enough milk. She actually recovered completely on her own, but we watched her very closely. I usually text my vet and send photos and he's good at telling me when to take action.

We had the exact same situation but caught it way too late and lost the calf because of it. Two of her teats were overly large and the calf wasn't getting milk from either one and not enough from the other two. Definitely keep watch on your calf and make sure it's getting enough.
Any sign of weakness or diahrrea from the calf and I would definitely bring them both in and supplement with a bottle while letting it continue to try and nurse.

Good luck!

raisingourfarm.com

#8 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

They both are fine, I've seen the calf on all 4 tits and the cow doesn't mind at all,  I was just asking as I haven't had a case and wanted to catch it early if that's what it was...

Thanks everyone... 

• Tim/South and stack em up like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors