Hay & Forage Forum banner

NH BR740 baler HT152 Rake 616 Disc Mower- Auction cancelled due to COVID19

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ttichenor 
#1 ·
I have 1 owner, barn kept, excellent condition, hay equipment for sale. I moved to grain farming several years ago.I planned to sell at auction but auctions have been cancelled due to the COVID19 pandemic. Does anyone have any experience with online auctions? If not, which online marketplace would you suggest for selling hay equipment? I have never sold any equipment online and posting is not cheap so I would like to hear from anyone who has actually sold equipment online.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unless you need it sold in a very specific timeframe, I would start by placing ads somewhere for free. Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, whatever local websites you might have. Yes, you will have to answer questions and ignore some idiots and scammers, but is free and not ineffective. On the auction side, I’ve bought things but never sold them online.

#5 ·
I have bought equipment off Craigslist with good success and agree I would post there, Facebook, etc. before I would go the online auction route. If you need the $$ ASAP set up the online auction and get rid of it. I would doubt it would be top dollar but it will produce the cash flow.
If you have the time or are willing to make the effort of answering the phone calls and questions in order to sell your equipment on your terms go the CL, etc. route.

I think you lose too many people who "don't computer" when you say online only. Maybe your area is different but here word travels fast when there is good equipment on (regular, in person) auction. Everyone goes just to see what it brings, but you know how it goes ... it only takes two bidders to make it an auction, the money is made on emotion and you don't get that online.

Best of luck

#7 ·
If the prices are reasonable, I usually sell equipment with only 1-3 calls, using Craigslist. Make sure to put the phone number in the add, not just e-mail.
99% of the time I do not put my number in. Weeds out the crap and if they are serious they will contact you. This year moved some junk hay cheap and did put cell number and spent the first half of day deleting scams. Normally never use my cell number except in certain situations.

#8 ·
THANKS to everyone who replied! I noticed many of you mentioned "reasonable" sell price. The local onsite auction prices typically determine the value in this area but that type of data is not available. We purchased equipment new and only used 4 seasons then we moved to grain farming. What are the best resources to determine value?

Attachments

#10 ·
We purchased equipment new and only used 4 seasons then we moved to grain farming. What are the best resources to determine value?
Start with 10% discount for first year of use, then 5-10% discount for each year there after, might put you in the ball park, HERE. Example: paid $10,000, after first value $9,000, second year, $8,100-$8,550, third year, $7,290- $8,112. In my area first value is more like private sale, last on dealer pricing, YMMV.

Larry

#12 ·
One of the more popular sites for used is Tractorhouse.com. Take a look there and se eif there are any listings for equipment comparable to yours. Then discount that number around 15% as everything on there seems to be about that much overpriced. OR, alternatively you can price your equipment at the tractorhouse price, and then be prepared to move down 15% or so in order to actually sell your machinery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.