• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sstovsll

sstovsll

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationParagould ar

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:33 PM

I am looking to buy a sickle mower, should I get a belt driven or direct drive? Thanks!

#2 I farm with junk

I farm with junk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWest Central il

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:36 PM

Belt drive
  • jr in va likes this

#3 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2561 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

NH 451.  When they are adjusted properly they cut well for a sickle bar.  Serated sections only.

• jr in va likes this

#4 farmer dave

farmer dave

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmid missouri

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

I have a new holland 451 that is belt driven. It did ok if the hay wasn't too thick. I used it my first year. Some where there is an old guy that could show you how to get is adjusted and setup, but I never could find him. I talk to several people that said dad knew how to get them running right, but dad is gone now. I now own a disc mower and use my sickle bar mower to mow around the lake. 

Good luck

#5 opcruzer

opcruzer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSE SD

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:31 PM

The IH 1100 or 1300 are real common models as well, either on a cart or 3pt mounted.

#6 Edd in KY

Edd in KY

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:12 AM

Massey Ferguson Dyna Balance M41 was a "good sickle mower" but good-sickle is an oxymoron.

• Hayman1 and Trillium Farm like this

#7 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2561 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

Massey Ferguson Dyna Balance M41 was a "good sickle mower" but good-sickle is an oxymoron.

So, I guess that means the only good sickle mower is one sent to the scrap heap?  I actually kept mine for several years after I got my discbine but the thought of actually having to use it made me trade it in.

#8 leeave96

leeave96

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1383 posts
  • LocationCentral Western VA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

Belt drive. The JD 350 is also a good one, IH has a good mower 1300 I think was the model - I believe the Ford 505 was the same mower.

As you can see from the video, I have a pitman driven MF 32 that doesn’t cut very well... ;-)

https://youtu.be/puMwRiCuZdc

#9 Edd in KY

Edd in KY

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

When I retired to my little farm about 20 years ago, I had been away from ag for a long time. So I bought a new tractor because I did not want the grief of an old unreliable tractor, but I bought all very used equipment (except for a new batwing). After I had fought that old MF sickle mower for a couple years to make hay, I broke down and bought  a disc mower. What a difference. That took the drudgery out of cutting hay.

One of my veteran farmer neighbors told me (with a grin) after I bought the disc mower..."Edd, you are the only guy I have ever seen pulling a $150 sickle mower with a $25,000 tractor.

• Hayman1 likes this

#10 SwingOak

SwingOak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationCentral Wisconsin

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

I bought a NH451 last season as my backup mower when the wobble box on the haybine went through a rapid unplanned disassembly. I put new sections on it, made sure everything was lined up and sliding smooth on the cutter bar and it cuts great now. Make sure the bar the sections rivet to is not worn out and guard edges are good.

I made a video with the 451 in it https://youtu.be/yHCJhSZ7sH4

#11 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4054 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:59 PM

I bought a NH451 last season as my backup mower when the wobble box on the haybine went through a rapid unplanned disassembly. I put new sections on it, made sure everything was lined up and sliding smooth on the cutter bar and it cuts great now. Make sure the bar the sections rivet to is not worn out and guard edges are good.

I made a video with the 451 in it https://youtu.be/yHCJhSZ7sH4

I am not  going to mow with a sickle mower anymore . But years ago I did and they will work if they are in good shape . Some guys will change sections but not guards they both wareout and are critical .   

• Hayman1, SwingOak and r82230 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors