Pent up demands - Page 2 - Cattle Discussion - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo

Pent up demands

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Palmettokat

Palmettokat

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSC, about 20 miles west of Myrtle Beach

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:24 AM

It is a panic market still. In all my life and all our Hurricanes never heard of stores selling out of toilet paper.  Paper plates with Hurricanes, yes but toilet paper?

I am on the believe the US market is pent up and will bust open with great energy.  If business is back open in all aspects really believe this Memorial Day will be one of the biggest in many many years.  People or tired of having to hide and no options on what to do. Realize money may be tight but believe spending will explode.  Now this is based upon we are really seeing the declines being told in last couple of days. 

Don't think the people are not have major withdraw pains on eating out and cookout and such. Watch for shortage of charcoal.  lol   

#22 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10802 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:25 PM

It is a panic market still. In all my life and all our Hurricanes never heard of stores selling out of toilet paper.  Paper plates with Hurricanes, yes but toilet paper?

I am on the believe the US market is pent up and will bust open with great energy.  If business is back open in all aspects really believe this Memorial Day will be one of the biggest in many many years.  People or tired of having to hide and no options on what to do. Realize money may be tight but believe spending will explode.  Now this is based upon we are really seeing the declines being told in last couple of days. 

Don't think the people are not have major withdraw pains on eating out and cookout and such. Watch for shortage of charcoal.  lol   

I live within 75-100 miles of 100 different beach/vacation towns. They would usually be prepping for the influx of millions of visitors. What are they supposed to do? Just go bankrupt? 
It’s not going to happen. People are going to get sick of sitting around or going out with masks & gloves on. 
It’ll happen soon. 

#23 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5461 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

Over last year the multi year massive ramp up in Chinese pork production has been hit with african swine fever and been just decimated leading to rapid price increase and consumption of other meats.

I bet it’s because President Trump (finally a president with a big enough pair)
used his power of persuasion to get them to buy American beef and pork via a new trade deal.

#24 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10802 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:09 PM

Over last year the multi year massive ramp up in Chinese pork production has been hit with african swine fever and been just decimated leading to rapid price increase and consumption of other meats.

beef????

#25 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

Its going to take  a little bit to get these packers and processors back up to speed the farmer can produce the food  but we need to get these people back to work but they are going to run into some hurdles like the packing plants getting co2 when so many ethanol plants are shut down. They must have had a different source before ethanol. I hope something people take away from this is our reliance on China for products. We need to make things in the USA for ourselves not just because they can do it cheaper.

• somedevildawg, IHCman and JD3430 like this

#26 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8520 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 14 April 2020 - 04:52 AM

Cattle harvest yesterday 92,000
Yr ago 122,000

Plants closed or slowed down because not enough workers.

Not good!!

#27 Markwright

Markwright

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico n Arizona

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:32 AM

At Tyson's Pasco WA beef plant...
They have installed quite a few work station dividers

Every worker gets their temp taken, when they report for work. And there's infared
Continues temp monitoring of most areas of the plant.

And break room space is now expanded.

#28 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2942 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:09 PM

Best friend can’t even get a bid on his fats. Meat locker can only slaughter so many per day, he’s booked them up for a week already he said

#29 Markwright

Markwright

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:05 PM

Could offer em on Fed Cattle Exchange.

Depends on Your timing on those.

Say 104 to $107cwt 10 to 15 days out.
Of maybe $110 to $114cwt 20 days out.

#30 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1023 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

https://www.kla.org/...3vJ6kuX_w1_3tU8

#31 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:35 PM

I see Patrick Cudahay in Milwaukee is shutting down for a couple of weeks.

#32 Markwright

Markwright

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:42 AM

Another Smuthfield deal.

Big meat saved say $500 that is now costing $500 million to maybe up to $5billion.

It takes $4 to $6 more per hour labor/safety features to negate corna..

More work space, Plexiglas dividers, temp testing, more break room space.... Etc etc..

#33 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

IF these plants get up and running again in 2 weeks there is 2 weeks backlog on cattle that should have gone to market. If rations aren't adjusted they will be that much heavier.

#34 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3603 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:30 PM

IF these plants get up and running again in 2 weeks there is 2 weeks backlog on cattle that should have gone to market. If rations aren't adjusted they will be that much heavier.

Lead times for all the critters in the pipeline, doesn't adjust that quick.  IIRC, chickens are around 58 - 60 days from hatching, pigs around 5 months (plus gestation period of around 114 days), cattle 15-24 months (plus gestation of around 278 days).  Turkeys I have no idea of the timeline, but they would be another highly used protein source.

Pretty hard to turn off that time from beginning to end quickly and the weights would most likely be heavier for certain.

Larry

#35 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2134 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:44 PM

Lead times for all the critters in the pipeline, doesn't adjust that quick.  IIRC, chickens are around 58 - 60 days from hatching, pigs around 5 months (plus gestation period of around 114 days), cattle 15-24 months (plus gestation of around 278 days).  Turkeys I have no idea of the timeline, but they would be another highly used protein source.

Pretty hard to turn off that time from beginning to end quickly and the weights would most likely be heavier for certain.

Turkeys are 140 days, hatch to slaughter. I am hoping mine make it out by 147 days. We are 134 right now with no scheduled sale.

#36 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2134 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

Turkeys are 140 days, hatch to slaughter. I am hoping mine make it out by 147 days. We are 134 right now with no scheduled sale.

• r82230 likes this

#37 Farmerbrown2

Farmerbrown2

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1171 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:58 PM

I was standing in a friends barn tonight looking at 40 fat steers ready to butcher needless to say he’s not happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors