• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4028 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:23 AM

2018 and first half of 2019 record rainfall . August of 2019 started a dry spell . Even though fall and first half of winter were wet lland dreary ,it seemed to rain all the time . The rain fall numbers are low just 2to 3 " per month …. Here we are very dry although many do not realize it . Rain forecast heavy tonight . Going to do second N pass on some of the cereals today. Are you wet  or dry ??

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15299 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

16.28" since January 1.

Regards, Mike

• endrow likes this

#3 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1004 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Kentucky

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:33 AM

Wet.  Our farm is on a Corp of Engineers flood control lake/dam.  Last year at this time the lake was higher but not by much.  I don't think they ever got it down to winter level at any time.  Right now it is 20 feet above summer pool and 44 feet above winter pool with rain forecast every day.  Recreational areas have been closed and probably the beach areas will not be open again this year.  It is a flood control lake and doing its job. The actual lake level doesn't affect us BUT ground is saturated.  A few days without rain and can walk across the yard without water squishing but do not need to be on fields with equipment.  We don't have livestock but farmers pastures are a mess and of course around hay feeders worse.  Sunshine will be very welcomed.

Shelia

• Vol and endrow like this

#4 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

Very wet in west central MO.  Got little springs bubbling up in random places all over and much of the ground is saturated and squishes with every step.  Garbage.

#5 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2115 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

10-11” since January 1st which is 3”+ above average.  Supposed to get 1-2” more in next two days. Doesn’t seem to take long to dry the surface when we are sunny, windy, and 60°+ but that only happens about 1 day a week.  

#6 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1786 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:35 AM

Fairly dry but depending on next couple days will be wet again

#7 Anonsky's Hay Service

Anonsky's Hay Service

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:20 PM

Here in Texas we can often count on 60+ inches a year of rain. We just got 4.5 inches in the last day or two, probably already coming up on 20 inches total for the year. 

I try to be positive but its really difficult. We have monsoon rains all spring and then hardly a drop all summer. My first year here we had didnt get a drop for 3 months, but usually we get like 2" a month in the summer. Its hard because you battle mud and flooding all spring just for everything to dry up and die over the summer. 

I have family up north who can get 3-4 cuttings a year, but with the flooding and subsequent drought here we're lucky if we get two in spite of the "better" climate. 

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3229 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

On the dry side here, last night's rain went south to the concrete jungle of Detroit.  IF I was still tilling the soil I could be doing so.  Could have oats planted already even.

Larry

#9 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

Very wet here. Flood warnings now posted.

#10 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:31 PM

It tried to snow here today, but did not amount to much.  

#11 IHCman

IHCman

• Members
  • 1311 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:45 PM

16.28" since January 1.

Regards, Mike

That's as much as we get in a normal year. That includes all the snow in the winter.

#12 IHCman

IHCman

• Members
  • 1311 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:47 PM

We froze up really wet. Like careful where you drive in the field wet or your gonna be stuck wet. Haven't gotten much snow this winter but seem to be in a changing pattern. Snowed more this last week than most of the winter combined. Long range forecast for our area says cool and wet spring. That'll suck for calving.

#13 ozarkian

ozarkian

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • LocationRogersville Southwest Missouri

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

Approx 8 inches of rain since last Friday the 13th. This added to the worst mud I've ever seen. Corona virus, lowest cattle prices in three decades. At least fuel prices are lowest we have seen in a  long time. Oh well, just another day in the life of a farmer/rancher. 

Ps: Does anyone have toilet paper seeds they want to sell?

• IHCman likes this

#14 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2844 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:47 AM

Like IHCman, we were wet at freeze up. Had 46” of snow so far this season, had just under 1” of rain yesterday. The way the forecast looks though, might be getting some nice oats planting weather in the next week or so.

#15 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3229 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:35 AM

As I mentioned, could be dry enough here to work ground, drove by a local field yesterday, they were finishing a tiling job that was started last fall.  Put in the last few runs, hooking up the lines, today the ground is leveled and they are done/gone.

Larry

#16 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:19 PM

Still 3+ foot of snow on the ground with single digit temps currently, right around 200 inches of snowfall this 2019/2020 winter, 7" of that today. Some rains in there too makes for a wet spring I'm sure. Things can change quick but I don't remember anything but a wet muddy spring UP here. I dont believe any of the long term guesses just watch the weather week to week and go from there.
  • IHCman likes this

#17 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3857 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:27 AM

WET in North Texas!!

#18 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9348 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:10 PM

Wet now, but we’re two-three weeks away from a drought at all times....

#19 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10714 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

Wet and cold
  • Farmerbrown2 likes this

#20 Farmerbrown2

Farmerbrown2

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1155 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:43 PM

Very wet and cool. We had May weather in March now March weather in April just can’t wait to see what May brings. That 21F two weeks ago sure stunted the Orchard grass but didn’t seem to bother the Timothy.
  • JD3430 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors