Need advise on tractor purchase to pull round baler - Page 2 - Tractor Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo

Need advise on tractor purchase to pull round baler

John deere 4020 Case 1070 International 966 International 856 International 1086 John deere 4230 White 2-105 Round baler

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Maxpower

Maxpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:15 AM

Your tractors seem a lot more expensive then they are here in Michigan. Are these dealers or craigslist/facebook, have you found the local auctions? Maybe it's a regional thing but there's so many tractors here in the 4-6000 hour range I don't even look at anything with 8000. And yes I look at cheap old stuff. I currently run a Case 970, my only complaint is that it's pretty loud inside the cab. Sure would be a lot nicer to have something newer with AC.

I also agree, I wouldn't want a loader on my baling tractor. My Ford 3600(40hp) with a loader moves round bales just fine. Maybe consider a smaller loader tractor for that kind of stuff.

#22 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:38 AM

Bill

Yes 4230 has a wet clutch & a heavier frt axle than a 4020. My 4255 has a very similar wet clutch that has been utilized by me to rd bale for 26 yrs that has conservatively baled 100,000 rd bales plus plowed 1000's of acres & clutch is original.  As I've previously stated IMHO there is no comparison for operator ease of operation & comfort of a JD 20-55 series rowcrop tractor compared to an IHC 66 or 86 series  tractor(BTDT). I think Massey Ferguson are good tractors although I was never fond of their hyd systems.

• somedevildawg likes this

#23 Ushuaya

Ushuaya

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:15 PM

The only thing I can do is recommend you https://www.growgard...garden-tractor/ where you will find information about the top five tractors.I have been using a Husqvarna GTH52XLS garden tractor for two years now. This one is perfect for me because I have a lawn greater than 2 acres with tricky terrain. It is the largest and most powerful garden tractor with a 52-inch cutting deck and 24 horses under the hood.Another advantage of this tractor model is its ergonomic design, comfortable cup holder, cruise control and comfortable seats complete with armrests!

#24 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:17 PM

Do any of these tractors listed have a cab? A cab will help preserve tractor operator's lungs especially when pulling a rd baler.

I'd pick the the 4230 with the 16 speed trans & hyd(wet) traction clutch.  I've read good reviews about those White & Case tractor models but I'm unaware of # of forward speeds each has. 4020's have been good tractors but Powershift trans only has 8 fwd gears.  I've read good reviews about these White & Case tractor models but don't know # of forward speeds of each brand nor have I ever drive either brand.. 

I'm not attempting to offend loyal IHC tractor owners BUT I definitely after having driven a IHC 986 several yrs back wouldn't pick it or the other IHC's because to me they are not operator friendly enough to suit my ornery old body.

My biggest knock on the older JD tractors like the ones listed is the extreme difference in gearing when going from forward to reverse. Requires a Lot of gear jamming and is a killer for loader work. I agree they should be tolerable for mowing. An open station for baling in dry conditions is not preferable. 

That said, I am sure many of us started on an open station tractor; but that has been a few years and especially in comfort, technology has been our friend. 

• Vol likes this

#25 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:11 AM

dvcochran

Have you ever driven a JD tractor with quad-range trans? IMHO shifting from Fwd to Rev on a JD QR trans is very similar to shift a sync shuttle although not exactly. Yrs back I had a FEL on my 4255 & moved a lot of rd bales with it. Shifting from fwd to reverse/vice versa wasn't a problem & my tractors still operates with original Perma-clutch @ 11400+ hrs.  I had to sell the JD 158 loader due to financial problem created by drought & poor hay production per acre,

Attached Files

• Vol and U Lazy V Ranch like this

#26 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:01 AM

Buy the one that uses the least fuel. It’s going to be $5/g this summer. Robinette just rejoined paris accord and canceled keystone XL

• U Lazy V Ranch likes this

#27 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

My JD 4255 uses 3.2 GPH pulling my rd baler which is fairly decent for an older tractor.

• JD3430 and U Lazy V Ranch like this

#28 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:23 AM

My JD 4255 uses 3.2 GPH pulling my rd baler which is fairly decent for an older tractor.

You sure about that?
Nebraska test/tractor data says at around 3.2 gal/hr your only making about 25pto hp. Been around plenty of those tractors to say no that isnt correct. No way jose

#29 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:48 AM

You sure about that?
Nebraska test/tractor data says at around 3.2 gal/hr your only making about 25pto hp. Been around plenty of those tractors to say no that isnt correct. No way jose

I don’t very quick doubt what Tx Jim says.  I run a 115 pto hp CIH in front of a 5x6 round baler (Jim’s is 4x6) and I when I checked average fuel usage on a tank of fuel it was in the neighbor hood of 3.5 gal/hour.  Nebraska would say I was only averaging about 45 hp for that tractor. Looking at Nebraska’s numbers for my tractor all I can say is I don’t think I could get the fuel consumption that high if I tried.

For a few years I ran a New Holland TM120 and that would suck .9 gallons per hour more than the CIH that ran beside it.  Same balers.  NH felt like it had 40 hp less, on paper it had 20 hp less.  

#30 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:46 AM

You sure about that?

Yes I'm 100% positive. I checked fuel GPH on both my tractors on several occasions that I utilize to pull my JD 467 rd baler. I had a gallon meter on my storage tank prior to someone stealing the 12 volt pump & meter. As stated my 4255 used 3.2 gph & my Kubota M7040 utilized 2.5 gph making 5.5 diameter pulling baler 5-6 mph depending on smoothness of each Coastal field. I operate my baler at 480 rpm's to help conserve fuel & neither tractor has EPTO. 

• Vol and JD3430 like this

#31 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:37 AM

Yes I'm 100% positive. I checked fuel GPH on both my tractors on several occasions that I utilize to pull my JD 467 rd baler. I had a gallon meter on my storage tank prior to someone stealing the 12 volt pump & meter. As stated my 4255 used 3.2 gph & my Kubota M7040 utilized 2.5 gph making 5.5 diameter pulling baler 5-6 mph depending on smoothness of each Coastal field. I operate my baler at 480 rpm's to help conserve fuel & neither tractor has EPTO.

Ok I think you should either check your watch or your fuel meter. I have a Kubota m8540 and no way in hell you could bale for 10 hours on a tank of fuel. Best I ever done I like 6 or 7 hours tops. Now it holds 29 gallons of fuel. So your saying your m7040 can bale at 5 or 6 mph for 11.5 hours before refueling? Maybe I need to get a Deere baler, maybe that heavy Vermeer baler I am dragging around is killing my fuel burn. Are you making tight bales?
Was this during daylight savings time????

#32 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:45 AM

I don’t very quick doubt what Tx Jim says. I run a 115 pto hp CIH in front of a 5x6 round baler (Jim’s is 4x6) and I when I checked average fuel usage on a tank of fuel it was in the neighbor hood of 3.5 gal/hour. Nebraska would say I was only averaging about 45 hp for that tractor. Looking at Nebraska’s numbers for my tractor all I can say is I don’t think I could get the fuel consumption that high if I tried.

For a few years I ran a New Holland TM120 and that would suck .9 gallons per hour more than the CIH that ran beside it. Same balers. NH felt like it had 40 hp less, on paper it had 20 hp less.

I take it this CIH tractor was some sort of maxxum? I don't doubt a 5140, or a mx series or a new maxxum burning 3.5 but the 4255 is a whole other animal.of burning of fuel more in line with a 71xx series magnum but from my experiance the deeres at that time were harder on fuel than even the magnums.

#33 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:13 AM

Ok I think you should either check your watch or your fuel meter. I have a Kubota m8540 and no way in hell you could bale for 10 hours on a tank of fuel. Best I ever done I like 6 or 7 hours tops. Now it holds 29 gallons of fuel. So your saying your m7040 can bale at 5 or 6 mph for 11.5 hours before refueling? Maybe I need to get a Deere baler, maybe that heavy Vermeer baler I am dragging around is killing my fuel burn. Are you making tight bales?

Keep in mind Jim's only running at maybe 85% of full throttle (IIRC 460-480 PTO speed), that could very well make a difference, along with the only hills he possibly encounters are fire ant (once again going off my memory :o ). 

Larry

#34 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:17 AM

I wonder what part of Texas, Texas Jim is from, I farm the area between Shiner, cuero and gonzales Texas.

#35 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1978 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:41 AM

I would not discount what TxJim is saying. Based on my own personal fuel observations achieving those levels are easy to do.

#36 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:43 AM

I believe TX Jim. I had an M7040 and made round bales with it for 2 years before stepping into a bigger tractor. Its a fuel-sipping miser of a tractor. 

It will be a great choice for flat land round baling if one doesn’t want to spend a lot on fuel.
Its a tough little bugger and a great starter tractor for a small, new, or even the experienced hay farmer. 

#37 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

I take it this CIH tractor was some sort of maxxum? I don't doubt a 5140, or a mx series or a new maxxum burning 3.5 but the 4255 is a whole other animal.of burning of fuel more in line with a 71xx series magnum but from my experiance the deeres at that time were harder on fuel than even the magnums.

MX135.  Looking at the NE tractor tests, the fuel use between the MX135 and the 4255 is not very far apart, the MX135 having a slight edge in fuel economy.  The MX135 has a 65 gallon fuel tank and it will bale for 2 days before filling provided the days aren’t stupid long.  

#38 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:08 PM

I wonder what part of Texas, Texas Jim is from, I farm the area between Shiner, cuero and gonzales Texas.

Coyote Flats voted into existence in 2010 which is 30 Miles South of Ft Worth.  No hills except Gopher & Fire-ants which causes the need for slower ground speeds!!! 

I utilize electronic speed/hour meter reading & fuel tank gauge readings to calculate GPH of fuel used & as stated operate around 85% throttle in <16% moisture baling 4X5.5 diameter bales  making 2-3 bale per acre hay. 

I'd guess pulling the extra weight of a yellow baler over my green baler increases your tractors fuel consumption a little.

#39 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

. Are you making tight bales?

I'm making bales as tight as my worn out 467 baler will make. I have not weighed any of my balers bales in a few yrs. Please explain what DST has to do with making hay? I only bale hay during ""day time"" because in my old age ""my battery"" goes down with the Sun!!

• Vol, clowers and Hayman1 like this

#40 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2704 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

I'm making bales as tight as my worn out 467 baler will make. I have not weighed any of my balers bales in a few yrs. Please explain what DST has to do with making hay? I only bale hay during ""day time"" because in my old age ""my battery"" goes down with the Sun!!

I’m with you Jim, my charge cycle gets longer every year :D

• clowers likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John deere 4020, Case 1070, International 966, International 856, International 1086, John deere 4230, White 2-105, Round baler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors