Straw market opportunities - Page 2 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Straw market opportunities

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:43 PM

With the record rains the last  2 years grain yields on oats and wheat were generally down with low test weights and higher deductions at the elevator for test weight and moisture, and to add to that this year the straw seemed shorter. Helping a neighbor this summer during wheat and oats harvest and he had talked to someone who told him farmers will have to use more fungicides in small grains because when farmers were harvesting oats for forage this year haybines were covered with rust and that affects test weight  and yield. It also doesn't hurt to spray for weeds if you get a patch of giant ragweed you get nothing. Hoping for an early and dryer year the past two years have been enough. Funny thing is every farmer used to have a patch of oats but this past year when people were looking for something to seed on prevent planting acres seed was hard to find. But is is supply and demand other years you can have a 1000 bu for seed and you cant get rid of it.  

#22 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3478 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

If it’s just bedding you need I would look at spring baling corn stalks.  I custom baled about 7XX last year, worked pretty well.  Dry fall stalks are better but anything is better than nothing.  Looks like this year custom bale a bunch more this spring plus I am going to try to bale some for myself to use winter of 20/21.  2 years in a row now I got nothing baled for myself, sick of having to try to fight lousy fall weather.  I’m to a point that I’m willing to spend the money storing the bales for  3/4 of a year to avoid that potential headache again. 

#23 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1332 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

No question straw has been hot for a couple years here in the east, particularly small bales. Haven’t been able to find enough with most bringing $4 to $5 at the farm. You really don’t want to know the ton price if your buying.

A couple reasons but one of them is changing. A big driver of that has been pipeline work following gas exploration of the Marcellus shale in the southwest Pa, western Ohio and West Virginia. So pipeline spec calls for straw only on reseed and this sucked up all local excess and brought some into the area.

Now a lot of rigs moved out, the pipelines are laid and things winding down. My nephew sells equipment and that sector is a little lean.

For that reason I’m expecting a softer market than we are used to this upcoming season.

I used to do pre cut rye. It seemed to be one out of 3 years I got that nice bleached high value stuff, next year it would just be common, pass for straw stuff, and the third slimy, ugly black garbage. Last few years I just combine everything. Kinda seems to be on a 3year cycle too.

#24 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4338 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

Pipeline work in this area has driven straw prices up . A lot of straw competes for bedding landscaping and the mushroom industry. IT was very hot here but a massive amount of bean and corn stalks were baled between Thanksgiving and xmas. The price on straw dropped $100 per ton overnight but it is still profitable. . I expected to go up in Spring before any can be harvested again ,Unless guys can bail stalks again

#25 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:11 PM

@stack, straw has been in short supply in our area for the last couple years as well.  This has also driven up the price of corn fodder a bit as well.  There have been some pipeline projects not terribly far from us which I believe may have increased demand for a time, but that wasn't a long term need.

@IH 1586, Chris, keep us posted how the precut rye works out for you this spring.  When did you put it in?  I've considered this, but haven't done it since it would likely be ready about the same time as my first cut Timothy - which already keeps me stepping!

Mowed on Tuesday. May have cut just a bit early but had a nice window. Now I'm not sure, calling for more rain than they originally said. Have a 3-4 day dry window starting Saturday and hoping for the best

Attached Files

• Attached File  Rye.jpg   489.9KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  Rye1.jpg   622.82KB   0 downloads

• Vol, Trillium Farm, paoutdoorsman and 1 other like this

#26 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1394 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:46 AM

Hope it works out for ya Chris!  I heard a couple rain showers on it makes it nicer straw, but ya gotta keep after it with the tedder.  Hadn't thought about how much grain would be in the straw, but looks like a bit.  I imagine that would make for quite a few volunteer plants wherever it ends up?   

#27 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:03 PM

Hope it works out for ya Chris!  I heard a couple rain showers on it makes it nicer straw, but ya gotta keep after it with the tedder.  Hadn't thought about how much grain would be in the straw, but looks like a bit.  I imagine that would make for quite a few volunteer plants wherever it ends up?   

Should be no grain as heads did not fully develop. You want to cut just at flowering?? I think mine was close.

#28 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:55 AM

Update: I failed with my first year attempt for straw. Of the 7 acres only baled straw off from 3 acres if that. Late planting, wet fall, wet spring, wet field. I pushed it wanting to avoid another rain storm and it was not dry. Have 75 bales of slightly dusty straw. Have used some for the garden. Sure is nice stuff.

Have a better drained 8 acre field all lined up for the next attempt. 

• paoutdoorsman likes this

#29 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1394 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:33 AM

There you go.  Ya don't know until you try, right.  Sounds like when it all works out it makes some beautiful straw.

• IH 1586 likes this

#30 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:38 AM

Sure is nice to see green in the spring. This years rye coming in nice. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  Rye2.jpg   411.07KB   0 downloads

• Vol likes this

#31 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:20 PM

Coming along nice.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Rye3.jpg   402.94KB   0 downloads

• OhioHay, Vol, paoutdoorsman and 1 other like this

#32 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15710 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

Nice stand Chris. 

Regards, Mike

#33 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:54 AM

Nice stand Chris. 

Regards, Mike

Thanks Mike

We are excited about it. Put new product coming soon on our mailers so hope all turns out good.

• OhioHay, Vol, HayMike and 1 other like this

#34 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1394 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:24 PM

Lookin good IH!

• IH 1586 likes this

#35 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:42 AM

I should have added this photo of the rye back in December. It made for an excellent food plot. Was irritating though seeing 20+ deer in it everyday through winter and spring. It did fulfill our venison supply for this year and will utilize it for all my evening hunting going forward. I wish I had a photo of the group I took my deer from but was too busy watching them play through the scope.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Rye4.jpg   241.4KB   0 downloads

• Vol likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors