2020 Haying & Farming Pictures - Page 36 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 36

Photo
* * * * - 11 votes

2020 Haying & Farming Pictures

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#701 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1831 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:19 AM

Darn smoke. Feel bad for all of you still in it. Looks like it's out of my area for a while. https://hwp-viz.gsd....oke/index.html#

Click on Vertically Integrated Smoke

3rd cutting progressing unbelievably well. Still no sign of rain for the next 10 days.

I have a confession to make.

After our much discussed topic on tedders from a previous post I made, decided for as bad as it tedds what harm can come if I move wheels to the opposite end of adjustments. Can't make it worse right. Well, after adjusting and running it, it appears some idiot inadvertently adjusted them in the wrong direction and never realized it. Spent all these years thinking I had adjusted it correctly and complaining what a crappy job it did. My apologies to all on giving it a bad review on its tedding job. As pictures show it makes a nice carpet of hay. I still think it could do a little better on drier hay but as of now it is no longer on the immediate list for replacement and extremely happy I can completely cover a field in hay again. All these years....... 

Attached Files

• Attached File  3rd3.jpg   152.89KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  3rd1.jpg   438.29KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  3rd.jpg   544.88KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  3rd4.jpg   431.39KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  3rd2.jpg   614.6KB   1 downloads

• OhioHay, Troy Farmer, endrow and 3 others like this

#702 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15442 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:47 AM

Pretty stand of grass Chris.....and that looks pretty dang good to me on the tedder spread. Not too many tedders will spread dry hay to suit. They either clump or windrow dry hay. I try to spread my dry hay early while still a little damp from the dew. 

Regards, Mike

• IH 1586 likes this

#703 Shetland Sheepdog

Shetland Sheepdog

• Members
  • 1166 posts
  • LocationHollis, NH, USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:58 AM

I may be the odd man out, but I prefer to see a little windrowing when tedding almost dry grass hay! 

A tad less exposure to bleaching and also ground moisture, as well as more exposure to air movement!

• endrow and Hayman1 like this

#704 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2615 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

I may be the odd man out, but I prefer to see a little windrowing when tedding almost dry grass hay! 

A tad less exposure to bleaching and also ground moisture, as well as more exposure to air movement!

Ditto, Sheep, maybe it's just us old guys finally got it figured out just before we croak  :P

• endrow and Tx Jim like this

#705 Uphayman

Uphayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:08 AM

9 days..........3rd crop alfalfa,big crop, heavily lodged, cut September 15th. Baled yesterday, bales in the barn by 6:30 last night.........and it's pouring out. What a feeling. We had a 2 week window of no rain . About 7 of those days were heavy smoke , and made for miserable drying conditions. Thank you Kalifornia. So this field was the last acreage for this "cut", with a total of 185 acres made rain free.

Attached File  IMG_0867.jpg   127.9KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0876.jpg   88.48KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0874.jpg   117.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0865.jpg   96.27KB   0 downloads

Now an opportunity to catch our breath , do some repairs, and get ready for the next window.
  • Vol, somedevildawg, Troy Farmer and 5 others like this

#706 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:40 PM

Looks like my haying season is coming to a close.  Yesterday I had the fan belt come off my baling tractor, drove 163 miles to the closest Case IH dealer to get a new belt; then notice that the pulley on the engine is out of alignment.  Put the new belt on and drive the tractor back to the shop, to see what I can do with that pulley; by the time I get to the shop the pulley is up against the frame, burn my hand trying to see if the bolts a loose.  I would not have thought it would get that hot in that short of time.  I don't have the tools to remove and replace it, so took the tractor down to have it repaired.  

The worse thing about this is that I still have hay to be baled, fortunately the neighbor is going to try to get to it as soon as he can.  At least once I get in the stack yard I will have some extra hay to sell this year.   I am going to be glad to put this year behind me; all three cutting has been a fight with equipment this year.  As they say if I wasn't having bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.   

• Vol likes this

#707 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15442 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:39 AM

I sympathize Cowboy. 

Regards, Mike

• CowboyRam likes this

#708 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:13 AM

He 'works' in the water mains department, seems they farm out most of the shovel work. :o   They just need to 'inspect' and turn the water on/off.  :rolleyes:  So there is a lack of shovels to lean on most of the time.  ;)   He's actually leaving that job this week to go work for a contractor, he told his mom, "I'm to young to stand around, I want to work".  The biggest reason I think has to do with the $$ more per hour, he doesn't completely understand the retirement benefits he giving up. IMHO.

BTW, he has learned that stopping while your ahead, unfortunately by experience, not by me telling him. ;)  

Larry

I was able to retire at an early age due to my "shovel prop job".  Of course "retire" isn't necessarily true since I'm haying full time. LOL

• r82230 likes this

#709 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:24 AM

I was able to retire at an early age due to my "shovel prop job".  Of course "retire" isn't necessarily true since I'm haying full time. LOL

Yea, my son didn't like my story I'd tell that goes like this:

Couple of DPW guys where driving along the road and the one on the passenger side, starts beating on the truck, hollering 'stop the truck, stop the truck'.  He then jumps out of the truck and grabs a slightly used shovel.  Goes down in the ditch and wildly hitting something.  When he gets back into the truck, his partner askes 'what were you doing?'.  His response was 'knocking a turtle unconscious, for the last 5 miles he kept passing us'.   :D

Larry

• somedevildawg, Troy Farmer and swall01 like this

#710 Markpnw

Markpnw

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

D5004A7A-B5F1-472B-B9D6-D1E467A0AAA9.jpeg
This new 2250 MF baler just rolled in. Hope it lasts a long time. Still got the old 4755 if someone is looking for a good used 3x3.

how much pto do you need to run the big 3x3? I have a 100hp JD and I do all flat ground.

#711 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

how much pto do you need to run the big 3x3? I have a 100hp JD and I do all flat ground.

From everything I read, you would be happier with 130-140+ HP, weighing in at over 15K+.  Your 100 HP, might weigh in at 11-12K.  Might work, but longevity of your tractor could be a deciding factor.  I personally would not want to work the daylights out of MY tractor. YMMV

Larry

#712 Markpnw

Markpnw

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted Yesterday, 11:09 AM

From everything I read, you would be happier with 130-140+ HP, weighing in at over 15K+. Your 100 HP, might weigh in at 11-12K. Might work, but longevity of your tractor could be a deciding factor. I personally would not want to work the daylights out of MY tractor. YMMV

Larry

It weighs 14k.

#713 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted Yesterday, 04:04 PM

It is official, my haying season is all over, kind of.  I borrowed the neighbors tractor and baler and was able to get the hay into the bale.  His tractor is a rough riding piece dang thing; kind of felt all beat up afterwards.  I think it is a CaseIH MXM130, are they all rough riding?  Started hauling hay out of the field today, and lost a wheel on the trailer, ruined some lugs and broke a couple off, now to get the parts tomorrow.  I don't think there is one piece of equipment that we have not worked this year.   

#714 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15442 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM

I don't think there is one piece of equipment that we have not worked this year.   

It has been one trying year for many folks. Some have been blessed with a smooth season and many others have been stressed to the max. It has taken awhile, but I have learned somewhat to take the good with the bad. I don't like it one bit, but as it says in the the first Book....".It is better to be a living dog than a dead lion."

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg, CowboyRam, r82230 and 1 other like this

#715 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted Yesterday, 07:22 PM

It is official, my haying season is all over, kind of.  I borrowed the neighbors tractor and baler and was able to get the hay into the bale.  His tractor is a rough riding piece dang thing; kind of felt all beat up afterwards.  I think it is a CaseIH MXM130, are they all rough riding?  Started hauling hay out of the field today, and lost a wheel on the trailer, ruined some lugs and broke a couple off, now to get the parts tomorrow.  I don't think there is one piece of equipment that we have not worked this year.   

Sounds just like a normal year around here. ;)

• CowboyRam likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

jlars

× Sponsors