2020 Haying & Farming Pictures - Page 2 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
* * * * - 12 votes

2020 Haying & Farming Pictures

• Please log in to reply
817 replies to this topic

#21 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1976 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:03 AM

Looks like the same crap I had up here.  BEFORE the half-day blizzard showed up.  Snowed furiously for several hours and added another 6" plus on top of that crap in your pics, IH 1586.  We also have a bonus of slush and mud that's been under it all for a couple weeks, insulated from freezing by snow cover.  I had to plow.  It was a mess.  Gosh I hate it here!

Only positive was we were lucky enough to not lose power.  

We have that now. 6+ inches and snowing hard currently. I enjoy it though, I'm still waiting for winter and does not look like were going to get it this year. Weeks of snow and a temp of no more than 25 for a high and no thawing for 3 months.

• gosh and Ox76 like this

#22 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:01 AM

By now, we would have normally had 4 plow-able snowfalls. Thats been the average over my last 10 years of keeping plowing records. 

This year ZERO.

Looking at long range forecast, its in the high 30's to high 40's through the end of February. 

Definitely in a warming cycle. Income from snowplowing down to almost nothing. We took salt spreaders off trucks. 

Heard on local news NASA just announced it's likely we go into a cooling cycle starting this summer to last for 10+ years. 

• Ox76 likes this

#23 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 10999 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

95% sure I picked up another 20 acres yesterday. Walked it today.
Gonna need some TLC. Lots of remnants of thistle, lots of winter weeds and sparse. I think it was over farmed and mined of nutrients. 

On the way on one of our creepy back roads, I grabbed a quick photo of brilliant full moon.

Attached Files

• Josh in WNY, clowers, Troy Farmer and 6 others like this

#24 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 970 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:11 AM

Well the flood waters stopped 2 feet from my barn. The water started receding about midnight.
  • Vol, Josh in WNY, Troy Farmer and 6 others like this

#25 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:42 PM

Mower got delivered last week. I don't know how well cutting backwards is going to work 😬. I don't have my front hitch yet and was surprised that I could pick it up and move it around with the rear.

Attached Files

• 6125 and RockyHill like this

#26 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 10999 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:47 PM

Mower got delivered last week. I don't know how well cutting backwards is going to work . I don't have my front hitch yet and was surprised that I could pick it up and move it around with the rear.

Be interested to see if you like yours as much as I like mine. 
Just make sure you know where the rocks are and your insurance is paid up in full. When you hit something just right, it’s catastrophic.

on edit- you’re probably used to it with you formerly owning an SP

#27 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

No question, things can go wrong pretty quick. Being familiar with the field is the biggest thing.

The last field I cut in the fall was for a friend and neither of us had ever set foot on the property. Took that one pretty slow. Luckily the only odd thing I found was a very high population of preying mantis. Must have seen 30 on the hood a different times. Don't believe I ever saw one in a hay field before.

#28 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 10999 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

No question, things can go wrong pretty quick. Being familiar with the field is the biggest thing.

The last field I cut in the fall was for a friend and neither of us had ever set foot on the property. Took that one pretty slow. Luckily the only odd thing I found was a very high population of preying mantis. Must have seen 30 on the hood a different times. Don't believe I ever saw one in a hay field before.

We get infested with them in late summer. They are all over our hay fields. 

#29 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2698 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

We get infested with them in late summer. They are all over our hay fields. 

High protein hay, totally organic :P

• IHCman, gosh and Palmettokat like this

#30 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 10999 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

I was actually beginning to wonder how many were getting in the bales, but I see most of them fly to safety, barely..

#31 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2698 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

I remember one year as a teenager cutting wheat.  I was driving the grain truck and the wheat crop in the truck was “boiling” with grasshoppers.  Don’t remember what we got docked for it 

#32 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

Be interested to see if you like yours as much as I like mine. 
Just make sure you know where the rocks are and your insurance is paid up in full. When you hit something just right, it’s catastrophic.

... Don't those mowers have some type of Suspension that provides flotation.

#33 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 10999 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

... Don't those mowers have some type of Suspension that provides flotation.

Yes they do, but if you catch a rock just right, the damage can be heavy. A buddy of mine, running a triple over a field he has cut several times folded his mower over, destroying it. He said there was a flat rock he could normally go over without worry, but this time the mower caught the leading edge of the rock and over she went in metal twisted wreckage.

I destroyed mine when a customer cut a 12” tree down in a field that had too many trees for me to memorize. Didn’t tell me and didn’t mark the stump. I did $15,000 in damage.

it can also happen with a pull type mower, but when you put a 200HP tractor directly behind the mower it really breaks things fast. The big different is the operator can get hurt pretty bad. I had bruised chest ribs after I slammed into my steering wheel.

#34 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:50 AM

I remember one year as a teenager cutting wheat.  I was driving the grain truck and the wheat crop in the truck was “boiling” with grasshoppers.  Don’t remember what we got docked for it

1988. Combining oats that the wagons were hopping with grasshoppers.
  • IHCman likes this

#35 Josh in WNY

Josh in WNY

• Members
  • 1042 posts
  • LocationGowanda, NY

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

Finally got around to replacing the battery in my JD 2520 last weekend.  The TSC special lasted a couple months shy of 5 years, so I don't think that's too bad (would have preferred it had lasted longer of course).  Thankfully this winter has been pretty mild as far as snowfall so I haven't had to plow the driveway too much. The pic is of the new battery, but the old one was pretty clean thanks to the battery box I put back on the tractor.  When I first got the tractor, the battery was on a flat plate that was part of the loader frame.

Attached File  IMG_1145.JPG   169.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1144.JPG   154.67KB   0 downloads

Speaking of where the battery used to be, I found something I didn't expect laying there when I went to check the oil.  All the times I would read a manual when I was a kid and laughed at the "check for any loose bolts" statement came back to haunt me.  Thankfully, I found the proper home (alternator mounting bolt) for the little guy before things started rattling apart.  Amazing it stayed there the last time I used the tractor.

Attached File  IMG_1146.JPG   120.15KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1147.JPG   79.73KB   0 downloads

#36 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

Looking like spring is around the corner in my neck of the woods, some daffodils poking out from under their covers and it was 11 degrees here this morning.

Larry

Attached Files

• Josh in WNY, JD3430 and IH 1586 like this

#37 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 10999 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:34 PM

Field mowing power line right of ways for last 3 days. Wish I could hay this one. This patch is about 40 acres. It was hayed into the early 80’s then taken out of service by local conservancy

Attached Files

• Josh in WNY, endrow, IH 1586 and 1 other like this

#38 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1976 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:48 AM

This will greatly reduce the amount of fertilizer bags we will be handling this year if we can't utilize co-op spreader. 

Attached Files

• Vol, Josh in WNY, RockyHill and 1 other like this

#39 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

hauling some out while its froze yet

87209229_3041424932574931_17942162313524

• IHCman, stack em up, gosh and 2 others like this