• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 USMCfred

USMCfred

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Locationkentucky

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:34 PM

Does anyone know where the most walker straw or stripper straw is grown?  i like this best for horse bedding but it is getting harder to find.  If anyone knows a grower who wants to sell directly to a user, let me know. 

#2 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:57 PM

'Walker straw' isn't a variety of straw, it's just straw that is combined with a walker style combine as opposed to a rotary or hybrid style combine.  The walker system doesn't cut/break up the stalk like a rotary style combine.  This results in the longer stems that are often preferred in bedding straw.  Often referred to as 'walker straw' or 'long straw'.

• IHCman and JD3430 like this

#3 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5270 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

'Walker straw' isn't a variety of straw, it's just straw that is combined with a walker style combine as opposed to a rotary or hybrid style combine. The walker system doesn't cut/break up the stalk like a rotary style combine. This results in the longer stems that are often preferred in bedding straw. Often referred to as 'walker straw' or 'long straw'.

Yeah, and the poster wants to know where to buy it!

#4 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

Scroll the the ads on your local Craigslist. I see guys around here that include that their straw came from a walker machine in their description. Even if it’s not mentioned in their description, find an ad that’s suits your price point and ask.

My grandpa always says how the straw from our walker machine is so much nicer, but the new machines with a 30+ ft head will sure knock the wheat down fast. Oh well grandpa likes to combine and I only dabble with 6k bales so speed isn’t top priority (at least that’s what I tell myself).

Good luck

#5 IHCman

IHCman

• Members
  • 1311 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:35 PM

Have a neighbor that farms alot and uses a stripper head on all their acres of small grains. Then they swath it and bale it. Makes some really nice straw.

I do prefer straw from a walker combine but I've bales quite a little behind rotary combines. It does seem to matter when it was combined, better if it was late at night with it getting a little humid versus during the hot dry part of the day. 

• mlappin and endrow like this

#6 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:51 PM

I liked the straw we had last year had a few acres or rye and the neighbor combined with a rotary combine, we baled the straw a little damp and the bales stuck together a little bit but I liked the chopped bedding. I didn't have any straw to bale this year and had to buy 12 big squares from a friend that was wheat straw from a conventional combine and it is to long and doesn't clean out of stall very well.
  • endrow likes this

#7 bltfarms

bltfarms

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationElizabethtown ky

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

Sent you a message. Thanks 

#8 Pro-soil

Pro-soil

• Members
  • 9 posts