https://www.hayandfo...gy-forages.html

• Vol, Cozyacres, glasswrongsize and 2 others like this

#2 Hayjosh

Hayjosh

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

It seems too many people think their grass fed beef is something amazing and got that way feeding it 'cow hay.' 

Personally, I think grass fed beef sucks, give me corn. You don't drink a warm can of beer so why would you eat cow that never ate corn?

• clowers, Ray 54 and Ox76 like this

#3 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

I agree totally.  Grass fed beef tastes funny to me and I ain't keen on it.  Give me nice, fatty, marbled corn fed all day long.  The grass fed is supposed to be much better for you apparently.  Hell, we all gotta die sometime - guess I'll die with a juicy fat steak hanging outta my mouth.

• clowers, JD3430, luke strawwalker and 1 other like this

#4 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

We don't do anything special here. Pasture raised beef, baleage during winter, no grain. Wife loves it. Juciest burgers we ever had. You have to know how to cook it.
  • Cozyacres, richard, siscofarms and 3 others like this

#5 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2182 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

Grass fed is the only way to go, with corn being the most important grass in the diet!
  • CowboyRam and Hayjosh like this

#6 BisonMan

BisonMan

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSW ontario Canada

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:08 AM

I am looking into Bison, and there is a massive push in the industry for Grass Fed Bison vs. Grain Finished.  Many farmers do finish their bison with grain, which gives it more marble and a taste a a little less distinct, and closer to beef, which can be a benefit.

The argument is the animal is eating what it eats in nature. Simple as that. The animal isn't as fat and therefore more healthy. None of the math makes sense until consumers are willing to pay for it based on their diet preferences.

I can't really recall ever buying grass fed beef, or seeing it at a steakhouse on the menu. It was mentioned above that grass fed beef "tastes funny". I have heard this too, as there is an expectation when you cut into a steak.  I can say that with Bison, the consumer is looking for something different than beef and often has an open mind to the taste vs. an expectation. The industry group and farmers I follow are all in grass fed Bison. They are looking to differentiate from beef, since I would already be in a niche business so I will likely go grass fed.

In Bison it's estimated at an extra 6 months to finish. 3 years vs. 2.5

#7 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:32 AM

GOOD grass fed beef is not finished on a fecue pasture . Turn them on a good cocktail of BMR sudan , what ever kinda clover ya want , basically summer annuals from june to mid oct , Its pretty good beef , Gains can be 3 to 5 pounds a day also . Depends on your managment .

• Cozyacres likes this

#8 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5570 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:11 AM

Probably related to where you grew up/are used to, but fan of grass fed here.  Wrapped balage has made putting up high quality forage much easier in our climate.

• Trillium Farm likes this

#9 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1026 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:59 PM

Grass fed is good, the only thing that people say is that it's chewy.

I've had grass fed beef on my farm & friends and it wasn't chewy, the only thing that could cause this is when the animal is butchered later in age to make up for slower growth, this is a big mistake that many beef growers make.

• Cozyacres likes this

#10 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

I agree with sisco, the kind of grass that you are finishing the beef on makes all the difference in the world. Even then it can still be chewy sometimes, all things being equal.....here. 

Regards, Mike

#11 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:59 AM

Different breeds are better fitted for grass fed.

If you put a Holstein on grass it never would get fat and but tough as show leather.Fed on corn it can be the most tender beef you ever had.

Ageing at the locker has a lot to do with tenderness also.

i’lltake my my steak corn fed!

• stack em up and Trillium Farm like this

#12 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:40 AM

I guess I don’t understand what the hell the big draw to grass fed is, corn is a grass.

#13 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

Just a guess but I think people think grass fed animals did not get fed GMO crops and they also associate with a more organic way to raise cattle. At least when they were worrying about GMO's  it was a way to still get people to eat beef.

#14 Ray 54

Ray 54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationPaso Robles Ca

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:22 PM

They said the cholesterol was a different type and other "heath" benefits that are hard to prove at best. But I am all for it if producers get a bit of the premium  price the consumer pays. 

But for my eating grain feed every time.

I had looked at cutting grain hay with viable seeds to finish cattle on.  Reading the rules of one group that was a no no in there eyes.

#15 clowers

clowers

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:31 PM

Al cattle are grass fed, I want it finished with corn, cut 1.5" inches thick, and cooked medium.  Just my thoughts!

#16 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 AM

My thoughts. When I think of grain fed I'm thinking going to/or getting from a feed mill  grain that has a label of ingredients that isn't just corn, oats, molasses, etc.

In my previous post I mention pasture raised and no grain. I don't buy grain however I'm growing corn chopping and green feed. Started to pick corn and someday like to get mixer and then I would be giving them some corn meal. Maybe chop and put in silo in future. Is it grain or forage? I'm going with forage. I raise oats specifically to feed. They have heads most of the time. Is it grain or forage? I'am going with forage. 

If I can grow it I can feed it. You want to see my "grain" bill from a feed mill I don't have one.

• PaMike likes this

#17 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2418 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Yup, My grass fed meat is grass fed cause that's what I have...turn some Holstein steers out with my beef cows. Eat the Holsteins, sell the angus...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors