Hay equipment - Page 2 - The HayTalk Learning Center - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Hay equipment

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 MT hayer

MT hayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationPlevna, Montana. SE MT

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

Blc, did you get some equipment bought? It can be an exciting thing to do, going shopping for the unknown "good deal"..

I just came across this post and read through it. 50 acres isn't much and can be intimidating. Some might argue but for all practicle purposes a 9ft sickle mower or a 9 or 11 ft pull type swather would do fine. As long as you don't wrap whatever you buy around the power pole, or burn it to the ground, it can be used for trading material for the next piece of iron.

I know it would be tough, but I would recommend an 85 horse tractor of some color. It would open your options for your equipment imensly.

#22 MT hayer

MT hayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationPlevna, Montana. SE MT

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

Blc, did you get some equipment bought? It can be an exciting thing to do, going shopping for the unknown "good deal"..

I just came across this post and read through it. 50 acres isn't much and can be intimidating. Some might argue but for all practicle purposes a 9ft sickle mower or a 9 or 11 ft pull type swather would do fine. As long as you don't wrap whatever you buy around the power pole, or burn it to the ground, it can be used for trading material for the next piece of iron.

I know it would be tough, but I would recommend an 85 horse tractor of some color. It would open your options for your equipment imensly.
  • DSLinc1017 likes this

#23 560Dennis

560Dennis

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorth East Ohio

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

Taking another tac , be aware of maintenance or lack of . Some machine run on 40 acres and some are unlimited as example. You will have to educate yourself to look for the signs of equipment end of life signs. Welds at articulations, rotating shaft bearing wear , that will pertain  to each machine task. 
I wasn’t sure if I heard how much hay you were going to put away. 
I think your doing the right things by asking questions and getting mentors to help you decide the most efficient way to achieve your goal .good luck ,good post ,I’m learning from the responses 

#24 SwingOak

SwingOak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCentral Wisconsin

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:26 PM

Agreed, I too could not make sense of that sentence.

I run a Kuhn rotary rake with 40 PTO hp, it doesn’t slow the tractor down at all.
  • Trillium Farm likes this

#25 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

buy a disc mower 5-6 disc, and bar rake and a decent 4x4 or preferably 4x5 baler.  We used a ford 3600 for years to cut, rake and bale our hay with an old Vermeer 504c.  It wasn't pleasant but could be done.  Those 574's I think have more power than advertised, we used to pull a vicon km241 discbine with it.  It would run as fast as you could sit in the seat.  Those are my 2cents, like everyone ymmv.  Good luck and have fun. 

#26 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 949 posts
  • LocationChamplain Valley, Vermont

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

Ok, so it’s good to see that it’s not only me that are reading posts from over a year ago and pretending that it was yesterday!
The person who started this thread hasn’t been active for a year. Perhaps making hay wasn’t in his/her future.
  • JD3430, RockyHill, cjsr8595 and 1 other like this

#27 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

Ok, so it’s good to see that it’s not only me that are reading posts from over a year ago and pretending that it was yesterday!
The person who started this thread hasn’t been active for a year. Perhaps making hay wasn’t in his/her future.

The OP had a dream but was not based on reality and I guess when he faced it he realized that it wasn't as easy and above all as cheap as he thought. Some people, most of them with some mechanical handiness, think that if they buy some old decrepit equipment cheaply they'll put back in workable conditions; very few do it. When haying the condition of the equipment and therefore its ability to perform as intended is paramount as is speed. How many times do we hear: I have all the time in the world, but it's not time that gets you it's the WEATHER! There are facets of the operation that require better machinery or at least well operating machinery than other facets, this is where one on a budget must allocate funds wisely. If it were so easily all farmers would be millionaires, or are we and want to keep it a secret. :rolleyes:

• DSLinc1017, RockyHill, cjsr8595 and 2 others like this

#28 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10799 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

The OP had a dream but was not based on reality and I guess when he faced it he realized that it wasn't as easy and above all as cheap as he thought. Some people, most of them with some mechanical handiness, think that if they buy some old decrepit equipment cheaply they'll put back in workable conditions; very few do it. When haying the condition of the equipment and therefore its ability to perform as intended is paramount as is speed. How many times do we hear: I have all the time in the world, but it's not time that gets you it's the WEATHER! There are facets of the operation that require better machinery or at least well operating machinery than other facets, this is where one on a budget must allocate funds wisely. If it were so easily all farmers would be millionaires, or are we and want to keep it a secret. :rolleyes:

There are some VERY wealthy farmers on HT. I know, I was told so. Some are as wealthy or wealthier than Nancy Pelosi.  :D She’s only worth 150 million. 

But for the rest of us mere mortals, what I have learned is that HAY is a very tough business that I love. Between purchasing, fueling, maintaining & insuring equipment and renting or building barns to store hay and equipment, fertilizing, and WEATHER, I don’t know how it all gets done with profit. I have to supplement with other forms of income. 

• cjsr8595 and Trillium Farm like this

#29 Ray450

Ray450

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGreenville Texas

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:02 PM

He said he had a budget of $10k for a cutter, rake and baler.  If it can be done , I took a very wrong path this year with my first year of haying.  

#30 AKFARMER

AKFARMER

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:57 AM

He said he had a budget of $10k for a cutter, rake and baler.  If it can be done , I took a very wrong path this year with my first year of haying.

I agree, especially when you add in the additional complications that you can, and often do, get with used equipment.

#31 Edd in KY

Edd in KY

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:58 AM

Buying used equipment you will find that some brands bring a premium price. That premium can be as much as double. I do not think in most cases they will do twice the work, or are twice as reliable, or last twice as long, or that parts will be twice as available. Do your homework, ask folks that are actually working with off brands how they like their stuff. For example: I cut hay with a Reese Drum mower that at auction cost me about a 3rd of what the same size disc mower would have cost. I have never regretted that purchase.

Are you going to sell the hay or feed it? If sell, you need a pretty bale. If you are going to  feed it to your own cows, pretty is worth nothing. Some balers do not make pretty bales, and so these balers often sell for less.

I have 2 old New Idea bar rakes that are ground drive, and  belt driven. They cost me a 3rd of what a NH bar rake will bring at auction. I have raked hundreds and hundreds of acres of grass hay and never broken a belt. Internet chatter would indicate that the NH rake guys can not say that about their gear box problems.

How many hours of tractor seat does it take to make up for a $2000 difference in rake price?

So in the end, do your homework, ask actual users, go to auctions and don't fall in love. Be prepared to walk away if the price is too high, and shop in the off season. There are a lot more items for sale on the internet when it is off-season. The cheapest time to buy a boat is in a blizzard.

• somedevildawg likes this

#32 SwingOak

SwingOak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCentral Wisconsin

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:05 PM

I agree, especially when you add in the additional complications that you can, and often do, get with used equipment.

If there’s two things you can count on somebody lying about, it’s horses and used farm equipment for sale.
  • Vol, somedevildawg and Trillium Farm like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors