Another update on the 2 2018 New Holland 560 Specialty Crop round balers. Never in my life have I made so many bales in one year! As mentioned above, we baled stalks this spring, then baled some hay this summer, but not a large amount really, then made a lot of bales this fall. Looked at the bale counters today and one baler has just over 10,000 bales and the other just over 13,000 bales. No serious problems so for. Tweaked some things this summer, most notably welding the starter roll rods fully. It was very dry this fall so ferrous dust buildup on the sensors was a chronic problem. Sensors need to be cleaned daily to guarantee trouble free operation. Also learned that the net roll counter sensor attracts ferrous dust and will malfunction. Had a bearing on a net roll counter lock and cause an over wrapped bale. Couple chain idler bearings needed to be replaced as well. Pretty easy to keep them on hand and replace them as needed. The ones to watch are the on the starter roll drive chain and the sledge roll drive chain. They get net wrap in them which takes out the seal.
A note about the declutch delete. It turns out that for whatever reason, even a declutch that is not being used as a declutch will fail. Presumable at some point during the baling cycle the jaws separate and slam back together again and over time the jaws will begin to chip out until there is no jaw left to engage. We replaced the declutch style drive with the one piece sprocket that I think is from the 2019 models. So far so good on them.
Ran across one other bit of idiocy, the first smooth roll that the net runs across after coming off the net roll. The bearing system that holds it in place is pitifully weak and fails. Fortunately it is not a crippling failure, just one of those things that can be put off till there is time to fix it.
Hate to think about it but I think the CVs in the PTO are wore out and need to be replaced. Really wish I could just scrap the CV idea. They are nice when they are new but just don’t last long enough.
Pick up tines are getting near the end of their useful life as well. Those of you that bale only hay will get far more life out of them that I do. For what it’s worth I have not replaced a single tine yet. Each baler is missing a few. By comparison, my first baler made it to about 8,000 bales before I tossed the whole set of tines (NH OEM steel tines) and replaced them.