Changing of the Guard - Page 6 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 6

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Changing of the Guard

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3300 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

Another thought in the "positive" column:

A 5x6 would be 1000RPM.

My 4x5 is 540 RPM. 

5x6 can be either.  I’ve had both and I’d rather have 540.  Less vibration if things are getting a little loose and the 540 CV will last about twice as long as the 1000.  The 1000 pto is too light on the BR series balers.

5’ wide baler means you should have a uniform 5’ wide windrow.  That can be difficult to accomplish in light crop.  Depends a lot on crop conditions and your rake.  The other thing related to this is you should have your tractor wheels set for at least 5’ between the inside of the sidewalls, 6’ is better.

• JD3430 likes this

#102 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10817 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

5x6 can be either.  I’ve had both and I’d rather have 540.  Less vibration if things are getting a little loose and the 540 CV will last about twice as long as the 1000.  The 1000 pto is too light on the BR series balers.

5’ wide baler means you should have a uniform 5’ wide windrow.  That can be difficult to accomplish in light crop.  Depends a lot on crop conditions and your rake.  The other thing related to this is you should have your tractor wheels set for at least 5’ between the inside of the sidewalls, 6’ is better.

Wow, thats solid info! Thanks. ]

If making a smaller 5' diameter bale, will having the lighter-duty 1000 PTO be less of a problem than making 6' bales? Or is it more of an issue with simply engaging the PTO and turning that prematurely wears it out? 

I guess I'll give back some fuel economy on the weight of the baler and higher PTO HP requirement, too. Thinking that might negate the 1000PTO fuel savings?

Found this: https://www.tractorh...-holland-br7090

#103 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

Personally I'd want a 540 baler also. Any wear in a 1k shaft shows up as a huge vibration.

As for that baler at Swiderski in Appleton take everything their sales dept says with a grain of salt. Last year they had a BR7070 that was low bale count, perfect condition ready to go yadda yadda yadda. So i made the 4 hour trip to find the baler in question missing parts in the pickup, chain tensioner sprocket replaced with a chunk of oak, welding all over it, etc. Salemans said "it is what it is take it of leave it" and walked away.

After looking over all 4 of the BR7070s they had on the lot ranging from expensive to very expensive I wouldn't have given 100 bucks for anyone of them.
  • JD3430 likes this

#104 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10817 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

Yeah I was kind of expecting that. Need to hear that sort of feedback.

I would rather buy local. Not a ton of 5x6 selection in my area. Theres a newer roll belt 5x6 specialty crop, but its 27K.

https://www.messicks...ndbalers/107461

I was trying to find something decent for 15-18. 

#105 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2379 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

I prefer the 540 also, but there are some considerations for going 1000.  The biggest is weight, the 1000 is much easier to handle.  Many larger tractors only come in 1000 so that will be a consideration in future tractor purposes.  The cons are you can expect the 1000 to wear out faster since it is making two revolutions for each on revolution of a 540.  The lightness of the shaft should not be much of a consideration as far as holding up since you can put twice the torque through a 1000 than a 540 of the same size.  So theoretically a 1000 only needs to 1/2 as strong as the 540.

Why the 5x5 NH is 1500 lbs lighter is a matter of small differences adding up.  The rolls are the same the pickup is the same for a standard 5x6.  The 5x5 also has one less tailgate roll, I am thinking without looking.  the belts are shorter and the frame is shorter.  The standard wheels are smaller on a 5x5.  The net system is the same as is the gearbox.  The pto drive shaft is smaller though.

After a customer had 3 5x5  balers over the 10 years, I finally convinced him to go with the 560.  He was in recently and said he hated to admit it, but I was correct.  Baling with a 5x6 baler is much better.  His problem was tractor also.  It wasn't that he did not have a big enough tractor, but the tractor he wanted to use was smaller.  When you are limited in the number of big tractors, you have to make decisions on where to use it.  He did get a new ts3.130 or 140 so he uses that on the baler now.  That would compare to your Kubota, JD.  He does a lot of custom work in the area so he gets on some steep hills, I seen it.  FWD is  a must in those cases and that size tractor.

• JD3430 likes this

#106 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

Better have a good hitch too.  There is a lot of hitch weight on the newer 5x6 JD and Vermeer balers.  I don't know about the NH balers.

• JD3430 likes this

#107 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10817 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

Better have a good hitch too.  There is a lot of hitch weight on the newer 5x6 JD and Vermeer balers.  I don't know about the NH balers.

My current BR7060 weighs in at 5615lbs

BR 7090 weighs in at 6920 (+1,305)

But I don't have a spec on the weight of a BR7090 "specialty crop" model. I would think even heavier. 

Bale is going to weigh more, too. 

Man I wish they offered brakes. It would be incredibly helpful and safer on steep hills

One of the reasons I thought the 5x5 is ideal is because its a lighter baler. 

Pretty sure Deere has a 5x5 silage special baler. 

#108 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1787 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

I've never needed brakes even on real hilly ground, but many times wished i had more hp.

• JD3430 and stack em up like this

#109 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10817 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

I've never needed brakes even on real hilly ground, but many times wished i had more hp.

Are you running a 5x6? how much tractor HP do you have in front of it? 5x6 needs minimum 80PTO HP, but that’s flat ground. I have 115 PTO, but a few nasty hills

#110 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:48 PM

I ran 153 hp on my MF 2756 and 2956, seemed adequate although as far as power goes, mores the better!

#111 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3300 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 12:18 AM

Time for another update on the 2018 New Holland Specialty Crop 560 balers.  Last fall our stalk baling season got cut severely short by the weather and the crop conditions.  In the last 12 days we have been able to complete most of the baling work that should have been done last fall.  One year ago today, each baler had about 1500 bales on the counter.  As of today, each machine has about 7,000 bales on it.  For the most part, the balers have been trouble free.  A few net wrap hiccups here and there.  One baler needed the net roll brake release linkage tweaked, and we also had some trouble with ferrous dust building up on the duckbill home position sensor and causing wrapping errors.  We did have a starter roll chain break this week.   I sharpened the follower roll scraper and so far we have not had problems with trash hair pinning on the scraper.  The declutch delete has worked out well so far.

• JD3430 and r82230 like this

#112 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2379 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:15 AM

Have you any idea where the ferrous dust was coming from.  What were the symptoms when this occurred?  I would think there would have to be alot of the dust to make the sensor sense the duckbill was always in the home position.

#113 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3300 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

Have you any idea where the ferrous dust was coming from.  What were the symptoms when this occurred?  I would think there would have to be alot of the dust to make the sensor sense the duckbill was always in the home position.

The ferrous dust comes from our soils.  I was warned about this problem by the dealer tech when he came out to set the balers up when they were new.  It seems to be a problem mainly when baling cornstalks in very low humidity conditions when the raking and baling processes can significantly aerosolize soil dust.  The symptom of this problem is the wrapping cycle will start normally but then shortly after it starts the monitor will show an error and say to stop the baler.  The baler will not stop wrapping if the PTO is not shut off.  There will be an error code, I can’t remember any more what it was.  It is not a code that gets stored.  All the magnetic sensors on the baler will get this buildup on them, it seems the duckbill home sensor is the first to get fooled.  It takes at least a couple hundred bales for that dust to build up to levels where it causes problems.  I’ll see if I can get a picture of a sensor with dust buildup on it.

#114 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3300 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:30 PM

I would say this is at least halfway to malfunctioning. The duckbill must be lowered somewhat manually to see and clean the sensor.

Attached File  F646F1A9-8C81-4A3F-B1A8-6F0BC56E620B.jpeg   80.12KB   0 downloadsAttached File  C2EAEDFE-36B6-4BC5-86D5-B062EB391EF4.jpeg   72.58KB   0 downloads

#115 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2379 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:22 PM

That is interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors