Changing of the Guard - Page 3 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 3

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Changing of the Guard

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2382 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

Gearclash,

I gotta 7060 with its sledge roll assembly guts all over my shop floor right now.  NH doesnt want to sell just the bearing that goes in the gear that bolts into the end of the two sledge rolls. Did you ever cross that bearing to a generic parts house bearing? I didn't get a chance to pull the bearing out of the gear, but at this point I didn't see a part number on the bearing.

• Tx Jim likes this

#42 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

We have had good luck with new Holland round balers....knock on wood. Over 18,000 bales on a 640 and almost 16,000 on a 7060. Have had minimal repairs on both. Both mainly have done dry hay, but both have baled stalks and wrapped bales. I don't know if the fact that we make 4x4.5 bales instead of 4x5's makes a difference. We may trade off the 640 this winter and are really considering a claas. Great local dealer and have been real pleased with our class big square.
  • Vol likes this

#43 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:12 AM

Personal experience is NH balers are not very durable compared to other owners brand said I've read about here and elsewhere. First BR never could be repaired. Dealer is very good and could not get baler to work correctly. Traded on new BR7060 and after only 12,000 grass hay bales, I have ~ $5,000 in repairs for computer box, electric ram, failed bearings that were religiously greased with quality grease and annoying chain issues. Then there's more money spent operator errors, but of course not the baler manufacturer fault. Even dealer service manager admits my baler hasn't been very good to me.
Of course, there's thousands of satisfied NH baler owners, too.
The biggest NH advantage is they are cheaper to buy and dealership support.
Keeping mine because when I need a repair I can't make, I have excellent dealer support and it's long been paid off. Feasible that owning 2 NH balers could be an alternative to one really good Krone, McHale, etc.

Sounds like you keep getting lemons for some reason.

Had no issues with mine other than replacing chains and sprockets this year. 

I did have the one issue last year, wire harness moved and when installing a new roll of net the arm with the sensor wheel on it hit the plug and busted it up internally.

#44 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10898 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

Yeah I don’t know what the deal is.
2 balers and both did the job, but premature costly failures. Maybe I expected too much? Making mostly 15-20% bales, about 1500/yr doesn’t seem like very much to ask from a silage special. Even fell for the “dealer uptime” tune-up for $3,600 in 2016. Replaced some bearings. Still broke multiple times afterward. I know that doesn’t guarantee anything. Just irks me that I could have saved that for repairs.
I’m sure the grass isn’t much greener on the other side.

#45 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

Gearclash,

I gotta 7060 with its sledge roll assembly guts all over my shop floor right now.  NH doesnt want to sell just the bearing that goes in the gear that bolts into the end of the two sledge rolls. Did you ever cross that bearing to a generic parts house bearing? I didn't get a chance to pull the bearing out of the gear, but at this point I didn't see a part number on the bearing.

The sledge gear is probably a proprietary bearing not available from another supplier.  NH has it as  pn 9808111.

• Vol likes this

#46 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

On my BR740 I find it best to take the windgaurd clear off. However we also shred the stalks then bale em as wet a possible then wrap.

Which sprocket needs changed from the 17 to 20? Gonna bale a hundred yet this fall 

The drive sprocket for the pickup.  The one on the stuffer shaft.  Might have to grind a little to get it in place.  I would recommend using a good taper lock hub style sprocket as a regular set screw doesn’t hold them in place good, use a taper lock that has 3 bolts in, not 2 set screws to lock the hub.  

#47 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2382 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:52 PM

Gearclash, You are right on the bearing number. The parts diagram shows that bearing no longer available separately,  however my bearing has that number on it, and when I put it in the NH parts system it shows available. Looks like I will give it a try..

#48 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8552 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

The sledge gear is probably a proprietary bearing not available from another supplier.  NH has it as  pn 9808111.

Have you ever tried Malloy Electric in Sioux Falls for bearings?Was sent there years ago when needed a bearing for a Schwartz silage wagon that  turned one way but not the other like a ratchet ,they had it on hand!Schwartz was no longer in business and couldn't find anyone else that had it.

#49 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:51 AM

Gearclash, You are right on the bearing number. The parts diagram shows that bearing no longer available separately,  however my bearing has that number on it, and when I put it in the NH parts system it shows available. Looks like I will give it a try..

I  just got that bearing from the local NH dealer this fall, they had it on hand, wasn’t even made of unobtanium if the price is an indication.  

#50 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10898 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

We have had good luck with new Holland round balers....knock on wood. Over 18,000 bales on a 640 and almost 16,000 on a 7060. Have had minimal repairs on both. Both mainly have done dry hay, but both have baled stalks and wrapped bales. I don't know if the fact that we make 4x4.5 bales instead of 4x5's makes a difference. We may trade off the 640 this winter and are really considering a claas. Great local dealer and have been real pleased with our class big square.

I'm at 11,000 + bales on a 2013 baler making dense full size 4x5's.
With the pressure cranked and full chamber bale size, I don't know if that's what's causing failures. Otherwise it's greased, oiled, blown off, probably over-maintained and religiously stored inside. Never wrapped hay.
I have a really good Claas dealer, too. (MM Weaver) They've been tempting me with a new baler, too.

#51 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

With the pressure cranked and full chamber bale size, I don't know if that's what's causing failures. Otherwise it's greased, oiled, blown off, probably over-maintained and religiously stored inside. Never wrapped hay.
I have a really good Claas dealer, too. (MM Weaver) They've been tempting me with a new baler, too.

It would seem that a smaller bales would be easier on the baler, but the baler is a 4x5, so should be made to handle that.

#52 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4197 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

It would seem that a smaller bales would be easier on the baler, but the baler is a 4x5, so should be made to handle that.

Making smaller diameter bales on a belt type baler built to make larger diameter bales does put less stress on brgs,rollers & belts.

• OhioHay and IH 1586 like this

#53 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1886 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:01 PM

Where do set your monitor? I used to set at 60 on my JD but now I back it off to 58. End product measures in from 58.5 to 60 pending size of windrow and time to stop. Just not worth stress to make oversize bales every time and a bale at 61 is oversize.

• mlappin, Vol and Tx Jim like this

#54 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

An update on the New Holland 560s.  We are nearing one full year of ownership and operation.  They were put in service in 2018, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  When the weather shut us down for the fall a week later each baler had 1500 bales on it.  

Today I had the dealer that sold me the balers come out to replace the belt declutches under warranty as both had failed, as in slipping under load failed.  I might post pictures sometime of the failed parts.  Suffice it to say they are junk.  They were replaced with new delcutch drives but the declutch itself is now inoperable and the movable jaw is locked in place with a length of pipe.  We had the mechanism that operated the declutch fail on both balers about 2 weeks ago and since then had run about 1000 bales through each without the declutch operating, no problems.  I felt that was grounds for disabling the declutch permanently to avoid the hassle they create.  We simply do not have time for declutches to be failing.  The dealer was agreeable to that as they have done the same.  Hopefully that is the end of the declutch problems.  New Holland should have eliminated the declutch on the 560 right away.  Everybody I talk to has had chronic problems with them.  The dealer needed to know the total bale count on each baler for warranty reasons, one is at 4700 and the other is at 4850.  

Most of the net wrap problems have been sorted, the only real issue left to solve is why the net doesn’t always spread fully.  

I am convinced that these balers are not as friendly to a rookie operator as the BR series. 

• Troy Farmer, JD3430, PaMike and 3 others like this

#55 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2396 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the update.  The declutch is probably one of those legacy components that the company  was afraid to change.  While you have issues, I have yet to replace a declutch on a 560 baler but we are not baling thousands of corn stalk bales.  Many have been running without the declutch for years for various reasons.  The purpose of the declutch was to prevent scuffing  the net when using low hydraulic flow tractors causing the tailgate to raise slowly.  It was a solution no longer needed for most operators.

As for the net spread, there is one more update which can be done to your balers.  I can not remember the details.  Your dealer should be able to find the information.  It involves adding a plate to the side sheets, I think.

• mnhaygrower likes this

#56 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:52 AM

I think the reason for declutch problems are two fold.  First seems to be the increased loading that the 560 puts on the delclutch drive.  These balers pull harder than the BR series, and that makes the declutch harder to disengage when the door opens.  My local dealer stocks dozens of the connector links and bushings for the roller chain that operates the declutch.  The problem is compounded by the ability of these balers to do more bales in a day than the older balers which inevitably means the greasing interval for the declutch gets stretched out.  Last fall on Thanksgiving day the two balers each did more than 450 bales.  

• chevytaHOE5674 likes this

#57 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2396 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:12 AM

You are correct on your assumptions.  When the capacity is increased, as on the 560, more stress and strain are put on the components.  That equates to higher horsepower requirements if baling at the capacity of the baler.   For us, I can not say I have seen the additional power requirements.  That is the difference between different parts of the country.

#58 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

A word of advise to anybody considering doing a declutch delete on New Holland round balers.  Don’t be afraid to do it if your tractor has the hydraulic capacity.  But be aware that without a knife roll sledge follower you may have trouble with damp trash hairpining between the scraper and the follower roll, which can become severe enough to cause belt slippage.  I had heard this was possible, now I have seen it happen.

#59 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2396 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:56 PM

Have you ever sharpened the scraper.  If I suspect a baler will be making wet hay, I will put an edge on the scraper along with adding to the length so the scraper is a tight fit between the sledge frame sides.  Since the scraper, from the factory, has a square edge, the gap between the scraper and the roll is wider at the top of the scraper then the bottom which hairpins material as the roll rotates from the top to the bottom.  With the edge sharpened the top of the scraper is now closer to the roll with a wider gap below.  

For those interested, I have a post in my repair thread.

#60 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

Have you ever sharpened the scraper.  If I suspect a baler will be making wet hay, I will put an edge on the scraper along with adding to the length so the scraper is a tight fit between the sledge frame sides.  Since the scraper, from the factory, has a square edge, the gap between the scraper and the roll is wider at the top of the scraper then the bottom which hairpins material as the roll rotates from the top to the bottom.  With the edge sharpened the top of the scraper is now closer to the roll with a wider gap below.  

For those interested, I have a post in my repair thread.

Sharpening the scraper sounds like a good idea.  I will try that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors