Changing of the Guard - Page 2 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Changing of the Guard

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4198 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 23 November 2018 - 07:19 AM

I conversed by email with a farmer that lives close to Dubuque,Ia that averages rd baling 7-10K of cornstalks per yr except this yr was less due to weather related problems. He stated his JD 568 has 75,000 bales on it with approximately 80% being cornstalks.

• JD3430 likes this

#22 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8552 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:25 AM

I conversed by email with a farmer that lives close to Dubuque,Ia that averages rd baling 7-10K of cornstalks per yr except this yr was less due to weather related problems. He stated his JD 568 has 75,000 bales on it with approximately 80% being cornstalks.

Why do you have to turn every thread into a color war?
  • IHCman, stack em up, 8350HiTech and 1 other like this

#23 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4198 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

I think I have not turned every thread that I've replied to into a color war!! 

Sorry that you disliked what I posted but I find it difficult to understand how a late model piece of highly recommended name brand equipment can become virtually unusable in such a a short period of time/bale count.

In the future I will refrain from making replies that have reference to a different color/brand of equipment other than brand in thread. 

After all I thought these type forums were called ""discussion forums"" for a reason but I'll abide by your view point.

Jim

• somedevildawg and JD3430 like this

#24 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2396 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

There is no timing to the stuffer. The slip clutch would make timing useless.

#25 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 23 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

mike10, apparently on the 560s the auger to stuffer finger timing can make a significant difference in performance. I don’t know any details about it, I will gladly refer you to the dealer I am working with if you want. Both area dealers I talked to are doing this to the Specialty Crop 560s.

#26 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

I have a BR7060 with a 1.5 Meter pickup. I absolutely hate baling corn stalks. It will make a beautiful bale, but the pickup is constantly plugging. On a good day, I can make maybe 15 bales an hour. I notice that the stuffer drive arm has two holes in it. Has anyone ever tried the other hole?

#27 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2396 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

Interesting. It appears the augers could be bolted on in three different positions since there are three bolts retaining each auger. I have a hard time visualizing how this would improve the feeding. Does the end of the auger line up with the first tine or 1\3 of a revolution away from the first tine.

#28 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4180 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:33 PM

There is no timing to the stuffer. The slip clutch would make timing useless.

thank you I feel better I was wondering what the stuffer could be timed to. Then I was thinking I should ask. But then I was thinking entirely how stupid I would look when someone gave the answer

#29 LukeS

LukeS

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNorwood, MN

Posted 23 November 2018 - 07:57 PM

I have a BR7060 with a 1.5 Meter pickup. I absolutely hate baling corn stalks. It will make a beautiful bale, but the pickup is constantly plugging. On a good day, I can make maybe 15 bales an hour. I notice that the stuffer drive arm has two holes in it. Has anyone ever tried the other hole?

That's not good. Do you have a roller windguard and the 2 steel plates that go on and windguard tines on yours? 

#30 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:29 PM

A number of things to consider here.  15 bales per hour is pathetic, period.  On a good day we could do 40 bales an hour with a 780A or 7090, without the roller wind guard.

First consideration is the stalks themselves.  Finely shredded stalks don’t feed into a baler as well as coarse stalks.  If there is moisture in the stalks they won’t feed well.  BRs hate damp stalks. These balers do best on dry unshredded stalks, nest best is dry shredded and raked stalks, worst is chopping corn head.  

You need to get the windguard set so as to allow the maximum of clearance between the wind guard fingers and the pickup and stuffer tines.  I don’t advocate removing the wind guard, but some people do.  Make sure your pick up tines are healthy.  

The other thing that really wakes up the BR balers in stalks is to swap the 17 tooth pick up drive sprocket with a 20 tooth.  17% increase in speed seems to make 25-30% increase in throughput.  

#31 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2396 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:25 PM

Changing to the other hole can make a big difference in the feeding through the pickup. All you have to loose in a couple of minutes of your time.
  • somedevildawg and PaulN like this

#32 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

LukeS, I do not have a roller windguard, just the tines. I don't know what you mean about the 2 steel plates.

Gearclash, it's been a wet fall and yes, the stalks are damp. I have noticed that one sunny day will make a big difference, but we can't buy a sunny day in November. I do like the idea of changing the drive sprocket.

mike 10, I haven't had a chance to look at the auger end and the first tine. But I do agree, I don't see how that would affect feeding.

I still wonder about the stuffer link. The arm that is attached to the stuffer tube has 2 holes in it. I'm wondering if one of the holes would give it more aggressive movement.

#33 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:28 PM

One set of holes gives the stuffer a more forward range of travel, the other set moves the range of travel more rearward toward the floor roll. I think the more forward travel would be better as cornstalks almost always begin to plug at the point where the travel of the pick up tines and the stuffer meet. Material stops flowing at the wind guard, then the plugging rapidly progresses down until material is jammed between the wind guard and the top of the pick up.
  • PaulN likes this

#34 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:47 PM

Thanks guys, that's the best tip I got all month! I have only a little more to do, but I'm definitely going to try that. 

#35 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:47 AM

Update on the 560s:  as of Saturday evening they have 1100 bales each on the counters.  Tuesday noon they had zero.  Had a few wrap problems on Thursday, warm dry day that turned up the fact that both balers had a net tail that was too short.  One was also stalling the duckbill in the insert position.  After much head scratching I found out that the actuator drive gear was engaging too tightly with the duckbill gear.  Loosened that up and all was well.  The 560s will bale tough cornstalks much better than the BR series balers can, although it is possible to plug a 560.  Bale shape is exellent, which is a huge relief to me, I didn’t want to give up what we had with the BRs.  

• Vol, carcajou, stack em up and 2 others like this

#36 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2979 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:42 AM

I call bullshit on that. As abrasive as stalks are, at 60000 bales of stalks, those sidewalks are gonna be see thru at this point. Remember, metal is only so durable. I’m sure Deere uses abrasion resistant iron but at that amount of stalks, not much would be left of it.
  • IHCman likes this

#37 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9774 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:47 AM

They have replacement sides available for the green un's......(they knew they might last a long time ;) )
  • IH 1586 and Trillium Farm like this

#38 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2979 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:08 AM

They have replacement sides available for the green un's......(they knew they might last a long time ;) )

I’m sure Vermeer, NH and MF do as well. The point I’m making is at 60000 bales of stalks, there isn’t gonna be much left of anything original metal. Burned thru a couple sets of tires too. Belts, you name it it’s been replaced I’m sure.
  • somedevildawg and IHCman like this

#39 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

On my BR740 I find it best to take the windgaurd clear off. However we also shred the stalks then bale em as wet a possible then wrap.

Which sprocket needs changed from the 17 to 20? Gonna bale a hundred yet this fall 

• PaMike likes this

#40 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10898 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:09 AM

Personal experience is NH balers are not very durable compared to other owners brand said I've read about here and elsewhere. First BR never could be repaired. Dealer is very good and could not get baler to work correctly. Traded on new BR7060 and after only 12,000 grass hay bales, I have ~ $5,000 in repairs for computer box, electric ram, failed bearings that were religiously greased with quality grease and annoying chain issues. Then there's more money spent operator errors, but of course not the baler manufacturer fault. Even dealer service manager admits my baler hasn't been very good to me.
Of course, there's thousands of satisfied NH baler owners, too.
The biggest NH advantage is they are cheaper to buy and dealership support.
Keeping mine because when I need a repair I can't make, I have excellent dealer support and it's long been paid off. Feasible that owning 2 NH balers could be an alternative to one really good Krone, McHale, etc.
  • Tx Jim likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors