A burning question you wish you could ask fellow producers - Page 2 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

A burning question you wish you could ask fellow producers

hay alfalfa survey poll

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

I do love farming and will continue to farm as long as it works out financially for me. But the minute my operation would cease to be a financially viable operation I won't hesitate to give it up. I refuse to farm just to break even and barely be able cover my living expenses.....I recently had my eyes opened to how many farms operate like that. I guess that kind of makes me not a real farmer.

Hayden

If every farmer thought that way no one would be farming.You just hope the good years out number the bad and you get ahead long term.Some years you hit home runs and other years you strike out.Markets,weather.politics and other unforeseen circumstances are all game changers and greatly effect bottom line.

• Vol, somedevildawg, FarmerCline and 1 other like this

#22 FarmerCline

FarmerCline

• Members
  • 3247 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

No you are still a real farmer. You just may not need it for keeping your sanity.

As long as I can still put my hands in the dirt and grow something I can keep my sanity. Been growing something since I could hardly walk. Had a huge exotic flower collection by the time I was 5 years old.

Hayden
  • somedevildawg, Tim/South and lcjaynes like this

#23 FarmerCline

FarmerCline

• Members
  • 3247 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

If every farmer thought that way no one would be farming.You just hope the good years out number the bad and you get ahead long term.Some years you hit home runs and other years you strike out.Markets,weather.politics and other unforeseen circumstances are all game changers and greatly effect bottom line.

That's why I said I guess it makes me not a real farmer. I know what your saying though and I think anytime you own your own business it's kind of that way.....my family owns a business so I know every year isn't going to be a good year. Farming just seems to have way more uncontrollable risk and losses than other businesses.

Recently a couple acquaintances I made said that they would continue to farm even if it meant having no money and living in the poor house. That's not me nor the lifestyle I want. I guess since I wasn't accustomed to that kind of lifestyle growing up I just see things from a different perspective.

Hayden
  • swmnhay, Vol, somedevildawg and 2 others like this

#24 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

I don't know Hayden.....the only way I have seen folks quit ag was by old age. Once afflicted by the soil, you are forever joined at the hip. You may leave her temporarily, but you will return in due time.

Regards, Mike

• swmnhay, FarmerCline, hillside hay and 4 others like this

#25 Tim/South

Tim/South

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

You may leave her temporarily, but you will return in due time.

Regards, Mike

Can be both a blessing and a curse.

It is the optimistic U.S. farmer that keeps the worlds best food affordably priced. 

• swmnhay, Vol, somedevildawg and 3 others like this

#26 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1836 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

I have enjoyed it in this life but i would definitely choose a different life path the next time around. ;)   Maybe a politician so i can retire early and fish and hunt most of my life.

• Vol, somedevildawg, FarmerCline and 2 others like this

#27 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Can be both a blessing and a curse.

It is the optimistic U.S. farmer that keeps the worlds best food affordably priced.

And let's not forget the taxpayers :o :o
  • carcajou and lcjaynes like this

#28 hillside hay

hillside hay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1373 posts
  • Locationbroome cty NY

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:40 AM

A big one that relates to me. Is there an effective way to control roving seeps? Seems the springs are good at avoiding the tile lines.

The answer hit me like a brick to the brain pan this morning while drinking coffee. Bigger equipment!! 40 ' cultivator and harrows should allow me to work the sides and stay out of them for the most part.
  • Vol, somedevildawg, Tim/South and 2 others like this

#29 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4383 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

Which way is faster to cover a field? Going back & forth OR round-n-round??  I vote round-n-round no matter the shape of the field unless one is row cropping. Cutting/raking & baling hay my equipment is not touching the crop for only a few seconds during turns.   Let the games begin. 

• lcjaynes and luke strawwalker like this

#30 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Which way is faster to cover a field? Going back & forth OR round-n-round??  I vote round-n-round no matter the shape of the field unless one is row cropping. Cutting/raking & baling hay my equipment is not touching the crop for only a few seconds during turns.   Let the games begin. 

Depends: Every field is a little different.  But the most efficient way is that the equipment is moving forward as fast as possible and processing the crop. 

If the equipment isn't moving forward--no crop is being processed.  If it is moving, but no crop is going through it--lost time. 

Simple formula; hard to achieve.

Ralph

• lcjaynes likes this

#31 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

Mike, we think alike.

Hayden, more of us should have your attitude. I believe there's opportunity for each of us to do something special if we are just brave enough to let go of that anchor we cling to.
  • Vol, somedevildawg, FarmerCline and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hay, alfalfa, survey, poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors