A burning question you wish you could ask fellow producers - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

A burning question you wish you could ask fellow producers

hay alfalfa survey poll

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lcjaynes

lcjaynes

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

I will be running a survey this fall/winter of hay producers. What's something you'd really like to know about how other producers operate? What info would be valuable to you?

Lynn

#2 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

I'll stab at this first.....thanks Lynn,
I would say that most operations are so different in so many respects...climate/micro climate/forage type/land availability/capital resources/equipment resources/market considerations etc. that most input from other producers is taken in with a "grain of salt" some things just don't work here and some things would just work better here so there's quite the juxtaposition that one must examine. However, the thing I'd really like to hear from other producers is how they market their hay.....it still has lots of variables but there is probably lots of good info to gleen from other producers that could be taken back into one's operation.
  • FarmerCline, lcjaynes, NebTrac and 2 others like this

#3 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

The "burning question" (and one to which I'm not sure I'll get an honest answer on) "do you actually make money doing this crazy business?" :o
  • siscofarms, IHCman, PaMike and 7 others like this

#4 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2418 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

The "burning question" (and one to which I'm not sure I'll get an honest answer on) "do you actually make money doing this crazy business?" :o

I thought it should be phrased "How much money do you lose?"

Like I always said "The less I farm the more money I make..."

• weatherman, somedevildawg, Tx Jim and 3 others like this

#5 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Lol....you done went and said a mouthful

#6 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:18 AM

My questions would be:

1) What do you see for the future of farming?

2) What effects of autonomous vehicle development will be on farming?

3) What do you think the future holds for family farms?

4) Do you believe the federal government a) supports small farmers, B) placates small farmers, c) supports BTOs, d) doesn't really care about farmers, big or small.

5) Do you believe that a) farming is headed in a) a positive direction, B) about the same, c) into the dumper?

6) Do you believe that the USA is headed in a) a positive direction, B) about the same, c) into the dumper?

6a) How have you prepared for your answer above?

6b) What year do you expect your answer to become reality?

Ooops, I can already see that my biases for the future are showing up in my questions.

Ralph

Ralph

• bluefarmer, somedevildawg, IHCman and 5 others like this

#7 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

I could go ahead and give you the burning answers to your ?'s Ralph but I'm busy workin' on 6a) right now cause 6b) is within sight :o
  • rjmoses and lcjaynes like this

#8 BWfarms

BWfarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationGod's Country, North Carolina

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

Still waiting for a federal program that benefits the small farmer.

Now back to Lynn,

I want to know nitrogen application rates and the corresponding yields. Not educated guesses but accurate weights. Rainfall timing included. My focus on on the southeast region.

#9 hillside hay

hillside hay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1373 posts
  • Locationbroome cty NY

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

A big one that relates to me. Is there an effective way to control roving seeps? Seems the springs are good at avoiding the tile lines.

#10 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

What was the biggest change you made in your operation the last 5 years?  How did you measure it's effectiveness?

What is the next change you are contemplating in your hay operation (within 5 years)?

Has your production plateau yet?  If not what is holding it back?

Do you think the alfalfa 'check off' is working or not?  Are you for or against it?

To dawgs point, if a rich uncle left you a pile of $$ would you expand? (I'd ask why also, but the honest answer probably wouldn't be given, but a little humor might be nice).

My one cent so far.

Larry

• somedevildawg, lcjaynes, IH 1586 and 1 other like this

#11 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

After a bit of reflection...."what is the one added component in your farming operation that has truly been a 'game changer' for you and your operation....."

That would be interesting to hear, it would be rather diverse....

Probably at the top of the list would be "staying off of haytalk at 2:00 while there's work to be done.... :o
  • RockyHill, lcjaynes and woodland like this

#12 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1101 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

Government could care less about us little guys, we just don't have deep enough pockets.  

I think in general that the economy is going to pick up.  It is still a bit slow here in Wyoming, but we are usually two years behind the east and west coast.  I still think there are people that are looking for a good job.  I recently had a guy that quit me in the middle of a drywall job, but he has to quit because his body can no longer do it anymore.  I posted that I was looking for help on several of the local facebook groups and in three hours I had about a dozen responses.  

As far as what is going to happen to the family farm, I don't really know.  I am afraid that the government is going to regulate us out of business.  Only the big guys can keep up with all those regulations.  

• Vol and somedevildawg like this

#13 Tim/South

Tim/South

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A.

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

One question:

If you could go back in time, would you chose to farm again?

• carcajou, somedevildawg, FarmerCline and 2 others like this

#14 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

One question:

Yes!

Ralph

• hillside hay, lcjaynes and IH 1586 like this

#15 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

One question:

No hesitation. A definite yes!
  • hillside hay, lcjaynes and IH 1586 like this

#16 FarmerCline

FarmerCline

• Members
  • 3247 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

One question:

Since I came from a family that was not involved in farming I did not know what I was getting myself into......had I known what I know now I probably would not have. I don't regret going into farming though......just not so sure I would do it over again.

I do love farming and will continue to farm as long as it works out financially for me. But the minute my operation would cease to be a financially viable operation I won't hesitate to give it up. I refuse to farm just to break even and barely be able cover my living expenses.....I recently had my eyes opened to how many farms operate like that. I guess that kind of makes me not a real farmer.

Hayden
  • SVFHAY, Vol, somedevildawg and 4 others like this

#17 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:08 PM

I would tend to agree....would I encourage my younguns to get into it? Not so sure....I guess it just depends on the circumstances, but for me it was "anything else".. To be honest, I just don't have enough money to support it, if I did.....no problem, there's no finer group of folks on Earth
  • FarmerCline, hillside hay and lcjaynes like this

#18 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:47 AM

One question:

I tried to quit once . Yes I would choose to farm again.

• hillside hay likes this

#19 hillside hay

hillside hay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1373 posts
  • Locationbroome cty NY

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:01 AM

Since I came from a family that was not involved in farming I did not know what I was getting myself into......had I known what I know now I probably would not have. I don't regret going into farming though......just not so sure I would do it over again.

I do love farming and will continue to farm as long as it works out financially for me. But the minute my operation would cease to be a financially viable operation I won't hesitate to give it up. I refuse to farm just to break even and barely be able cover my living expenses.....I recently had my eyes opened to how many farms operate like that. I guess that kind of makes me not a real farmer.

Hayden

No you are still a real farmer. You just may not need it for keeping your sanity.
  • FarmerCline likes this

#20 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:20 AM

If I could start over again I would probably not farm but ranch. Move to a less humid environment, and less crowded, get a little irrigated ground to grow feed, cowboy and run beef. 

And thank my Lord for the Western skies.....but, I wussed out when I was 21 years old when she was beckoning me. I have regretted that most of my life, but it was not in the cards or it would have happened. 

"What has been is what will be,

and what has been done is what will be done,
  and there is nothing new under the sun."

Eccl. 1:9

Regards, Mike

• OhioHay, SVFHAY, somedevildawg and 6 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hay, alfalfa, survey, poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors