9 replies to this topic

#1 PGiles

PGiles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSimpsonville Ky

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hey guys and Gals,

I bailed 40 Large Round Bails Net Wrapped 3 Days ago here in Kentucky. Some Storms have Rolled through the area. I was planning to store these bails inside for the horses this Winter. They are all Net wrapped, and rolled tight. Will these still be ok to store inside?

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5354 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

It'd be nice if they have a chance to mostly dry off. If you stack on the flat side, I'd be less concerned about mold than if you stack on the round side.

#3 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Ditto should be fine if the outside dries before putting in barn.

#4 ozarkian

ozarkian

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationRogersville Southwest Missouri

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

I would lay them on their sides with plenty of room for air to flow around them for 3 weeks. Check temperature and moisture, daily.

• rjmoses likes this

#5 PGiles

PGiles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSimpsonville Ky

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Ok thats what i was thinking. I know they will shed the majority of water...I will let them dry and check them. I assume they will be fine, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks for the help!

#6 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

I would lay them on their sides with plenty of room for air to flow around them for 3 weeks. Check temperature and moisture, daily.

I'm confused as usual but what is the need to check temperature & moisture for rd bales that got rained on IF hay was baled at correct moisture content? I have rd bales stored outside all yr long that I sell to horse owners that are just fine & remain green color on the inside 

#7 ozarkian

ozarkian

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationRogersville Southwest Missouri

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

I'm confused as usual but what is the need to check temperature & moisture for rd bales that got rained on IF hay was baled at correct moisture content? I have rd bales stored outside all yr long that I sell to horse owners that are just fine & remain green color on the inside 

After the bales are thoroughly dry, I stack them 3 high vertically in my pole barn. I kinda of like my pole barn.

#8 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4311 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

well here in Pennsylvania that climates is different. If a round bale sits out all year long you are still able to feed it that's for sure but you will not retain perfect quality. I think would some people meant was a round bale that sits out in the rain somehow someway even if it doesn't penetrate obviously gets a little wet maybe along the edges maybe an inch or two here or there and when the sun comes out it will dry out. But if it were picked up before it dries out and put in an Old Barn without a lot of light and without a lot of ventilation. You could get some unnecessary spoilage. Not saying this is what would happen in this situation but I think that's what some people were cautioning against just in case. I think I would want to make a strong point in regards to the answer the question Imo and that is depending on the type of structure should the round bales get rained on I would want to make very very very sure they are completely dried out before moving them inside...
  • stack em up, glasswrongsize and r82230 like this

#9 bunkhouse

bunkhouse

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Locationwest central illinois

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

do you use acid or hay guard on hay and round bale ? we don't wish we did.

After the bales are thoroughly dry, I stack them 3 high vertically in my pole barn. I kinda of like my pole barn.

#10 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

I agree--3-4 weeks with about 6" between them.  If you could, store them inside for that time (depends on your facilities.

I would also lay them on their sides, not the ends.  If they get rained on, the netwrap will shed most of the water when they are on their sides whereas the flat end absorbs the rain. 

If in doubt when feeding to horses, take the net wrap off and then peel off the outer wrap or two until you get down to good hay.  (I've done this many times.)  You will be wasting some hay especially the bottom parts which will tend to be wetter.  I have spread the top parts out and the horses pick through it, eat the good stuff and skip the moldy.  (Assuming they have plenty of food, they won't eat the moldy stuff.)

Ralph

• ozarkian and JD3430 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors