What's in your shop? - Page 26 - Shop Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 26

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

What's in your shop?

• Please log in to reply
536 replies to this topic

#501 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:00 PM

Any plans for the lathe? Just general repair and miscellaneous  farm projects?

Pretty much.  I occasionally do some fabricating from scratch.  Bad thing about buying a lathe is then you find out to your dismay how much you should have had one a long time ago.  

Lathe does need some work.  The box for the feeds is not working.  Something in the front of the drives must be out.  Main drive clutch linkage doesn’t work right, so it stays engaged in forward and I use the main switch as the shutoff.  Chuck jaws have a lot of runout, not sure exactly why.  There is a lot of backlash in the lead screw for the cross slide, turns out the lead screw nut is very worn.  No part available through Summit for this lathe so I will have to do some fabbing with a generic lead screw nut.  For now I’m just glad to have a lathe that is usable for the basics.

#502 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:04 PM

Gear, 

Any thoughts on putting a little fan/air through those tubes to increase heating capacity?

Larry

That is one detail that needs to be finished yet.  I will put a 90* elbow turned up on one end and convection will pull air through the tube remarkably well.

#503 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5579 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:02 AM

Nice find on the lathe, I have a high quality little lathe but only 3.5" centre height and 20" bed too small for most farm repair work.  Only 1/4 hp motor too so small light cuts pretty frustrating.  Really wish I had grabbed a big colchester I had gone to look at, was stuffed in the back of a shed, would have required a lot of work to extract.

#504 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

Some wood stove modifications. After running it for a while and getting a feel for how it behaves, I thought it would benefit from having a blower forcing air through the heat exchanger tubes. On the first stove I built, the tubes moved air by simple convection from having a 90* elbow on one end. I noticed on this stove the lower tubes got so hot with a bigger fire that the tube would glow some. I don’t like to see that as that kind of heat can eventually cause permanent distortion.  This blower has enough CFM that it almost goes too far extracting heat from the fire and I have to watch it that the flue temp doesn’t get pulled down too far.

Attached File  87FDB2F7-70B3-40E6-9A93-8425DDAAF134.jpeg   154.83KB   0 downloadsAttached File  F0DAC1DD-81D5-4147-B852-93989ED3CCA4.jpeg   127.08KB   0 downloads

• IH 1586, paoutdoorsman and Ox76 like this

#505 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:09 AM

Not in the shop just yet, but going to pick it up in the morning. Found a MEP004 diesel generator with a Hercules D198 in it. Was 18 degrees when I went to look at it, 20 seconds of preheating and it popped right off. Generator is shot though, they said the windings are are bad according to the local generator guru. I found a remanufactured and recertified Marathon Magnaplus 30KW generator head for around a $1000. Gonna run about $600-700 for a remanufactured automatic service transfer switch and roughly $300 for a Dynagen electronic controller. Gonna build a 10x12 generator shed to put it in then run a line off my wood boiler to heat the block all winter, planning on a pool heat exchanger, should have the benefit of not letting it be able to cold stack if the boiler is keeping engine temps up and might even back feed some heat back into the boiler. 

Lumber is stupid right now so not sure what the shed is gonna cost me but looking around $2500 or so in the generator and controls to have an automatic 30KW diesel standby generator.

• paoutdoorsman likes this

#506 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

I've been working at fixing up a bunch of odds and ends on this 6615 for a customer.  Wouldn't start with key, leaking steering lines, loose ball joints & tie rod ends, snapped off spindle/steer knuckle bolt, new headliner, busted radio antenna, single speed blower fan, no lights, etc..  Years of "Just run it" mentality.   :(  :(  :huh:  :huh:

6615.jpg

• somedevildawg likes this

#507 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

I've been working on a overheating polaris sportsman. Putting a new water pump, radiator, and thermostats. In addition to a good bath just to wash it all out with the plastic off. That's more of a fixer project.

The winter project just for fun is a complete teardown and fix of my 1919 IHC model M engine. Kinda making that up as I go along. Not many people around anymore that know how to do anything with them.

#508 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:10 AM

Spent over three hours getting the generator down to the actual generator head. I know its a DOD generator, but no wonder they buy $500 toilet seats. Some of this was just plain stupid, can tell it was the lowest bidder that got the contract. I literally took 500 lbs of bullshit off of it to make room to work.

#509 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:15 AM

Pretty much.  I occasionally do some fabricating from scratch.  Bad thing about buying a lathe is then you find out to your dismay how much you should have had one a long time ago.  

Lathe does need some work.  The box for the feeds is not working.  Something in the front of the drives must be out.  Main drive clutch linkage doesn’t work right, so it stays engaged in forward and I use the main switch as the shutoff.  Chuck jaws have a lot of runout, not sure exactly why.  There is a lot of backlash in the lead screw for the cross slide, turns out the lead screw nut is very worn.  No part available through Summit for this lathe so I will have to do some fabbing with a generic lead screw nut.  For now I’m just glad to have a lathe that is usable for the basics.

I bought an old lathe at an auction, paid for it in less than a week.

I mean old, aint gonna cut threads as that was a flat belt drive as well. 

I’ve since added a 2hp 3450 motor and a VFD to it, thinking about a gear drive and a another VFD to drive the feed.

My Bridgeport is another that paid for itself in short order.

#510 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:33 PM

VP44 swap time in my Dodge Cummins. Quit last fall just short of 200K miles. All indications are that the computer on the pump quit, not the infamous failure brought on by low lift pump pressure.
Going to pull the timing gear cover and tab the killer dowel pin also while I’m in it.

Attached File  B37590DD-093E-4A7C-B2AB-7268F7638DA3.jpeg   198.94KB   0 downloadsAttached File  1C52EED3-B9DC-4EEA-8757-66268891B60D.jpeg   151.19KB   0 downloads
  • JD3430 likes this

#511 Bgriffin856

Bgriffin856

Amateur Dairyman

• Members
  • 1637 posts
  • LocationNorthwest, PA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:21 PM

December I finally got around to getting something done that I had wanted to get done that needed done the past few years. We had a warm day and before I fed the hay out so it was easy to get to. Tightened the chain on the NH 162 mow conveyor never measured it but I'm pretty sure it's 45-50ft long. Loosened up the adjuster which was at about half. From the looks of the bolts under the nuts it appears it was never adjusted. This addition was put up in the 70's but I'm not sure when the previous owners put the mow conveyor in. I know we used to fill the mow completely with square bales every year from 92-03 then it was just round bales till 07 when we started putting squares in on top of the round bales. Anyhow used a come along to pull up the slack to get the links out. Then tightened up the adjuster some but not very much so it has alot of adjustment and the chain is good and taught. Run it some yesterday to move some bales so we can get to some other hay in the bank barns mow. It runs so much more quiet and smooth. I should have gotten before and after pics but didn't take the time

It runs all but about 15ft to the end. Fun fact from what I have heard is that before the previous owners would start filling with hay when it was empty every year they would host a barn dance

Attached File  IMG_20200702_193540831.jpg   107.51KB   0 downloads
  • IH 1586 and r82230 like this

#512 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1978 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:48 AM

December I finally got around to getting something done that I had wanted to get done that needed done the past few years. We had a warm day and before I fed the hay out so it was easy to get to. Tightened the chain on the NH 162 mow conveyor never measured it but I'm pretty sure it's 45-50ft long. Loosened up the adjuster which was at about half. From the looks of the bolts under the nuts it appears it was never adjusted. This addition was put up in the 70's but I'm not sure when the previous owners put the mow conveyor in. I know we used to fill the mow completely with square bales every year from 92-03 then it was just round bales till 07 when we started putting squares in on top of the round bales. Anyhow used a come along to pull up the slack to get the links out. Then tightened up the adjuster some but not very much so it has alot of adjustment and the chain is good and taught. Run it some yesterday to move some bales so we can get to some other hay in the bank barns mow. It runs so much more quiet and smooth. I should have gotten before and after pics but didn't take the time

It runs all but about 15ft to the end. Fun fact from what I have heard is that before the previous owners would start filling with hay when it was empty every year they would host a barn dance

attachicon.gifIMG_20200702_193540831.jpg

Trying to remember, is your farm the Loomis farm? I remember them selling out when his son and I in grade school and for years would tell him look at all the fun he is missing and now has nothing to do.

• Bgriffin856 likes this

#513 Bgriffin856

Bgriffin856

Amateur Dairyman

• Members
  • 1637 posts
  • LocationNorthwest, PA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:45 AM

That's who used to own it. I believe the sale was in spring of 92
  • IH 1586 likes this

#514 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

This generator project is getting annoying. Being DOD it was overbuilt and cost the taxpayers a small fortune I’m sure for each one. Engine has a SAE #2 housing on it, nobody makes a 30KW head with a #2, can get it with a #3 but then need an adapter plate, Hayes was nuts, talking $1200 for an adapter plate. Then the other issue is the flywheel is a Delco 15.50 which NOBODY offers a drive disc for….

#515 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Trying to remember, is your farm the Loomis farm? I remember them selling out when his son and I in grade school and for years would tell him look at all the fun he is missing and now has nothing to do.

I know there is probably no connection here but I have to ask about this Loomis farm I had a great friend who was raised in the same area as y'all he joined the air force right out of school then came home to find his mom sold the dairy after his dad passed. He made it down my way about `94 his name was Richard Loomis and I still think he is the smartest yankee I ever met. No offense to anyone on here but he really was that smart. He would be about 55 to 60 now.

#516 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1978 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:13 AM

I'm fairly certain the father was alive when the farm was sold. The sibling age difference would be considerable at approx 20 years. My friends name was Ken Loomis. Interesting as I wouldn't consider it a common last name. Sugar Grove is the area in which these Loomis resided. 

I know there is probably no connection here but I have to ask about this Loomis farm I had a great friend who was raised in the same area as y'all he joined the air force right out of school then came home to find his mom sold the dairy after his dad passed. He made it down my way about `94 his name was Richard Loomis and I still think he is the smartest yankee I ever met. No offense to anyone on here but he really was that smart. He would be about 55 to 60 now.

#517 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:44 AM

The more I think about it might have been a divorce sell I never heard him say much about his dad mostly grandfather. I do know his sister and mother moved from Pennsylvania to Florida never heard of a brother. He loved them IH tractors and old Oliver's. I will ask the guy that he left his farm to where he was from exactly

#518 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1978 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:52 PM

The more I think about it might have been a divorce sell I never heard him say much about his dad mostly grandfather. I do know his sister and mother moved from Pennsylvania to Florida never heard of a brother. He loved them IH tractors and old Oliver's. I will ask the guy that he left his farm to where he was from exactly

Well, you made me get my yearbook out. Mother was divorced/remarried and is now a Greenman. This happened sometime before we graduated in '98. Still here and owns a portrait studio in Sugar Grove. 

Some of your information matches. Will be interesting to learn what you find out.

#519 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:12 PM

My wife works at the county courthouse she is going to look up death certificate to find age and birthplace they might be related somewhere down the line. I do know one side of his grandparents were German I guess that explains the strange foods he liked.
  • IH 1586 likes this

#520 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1104 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:33 PM

Built myself a welding table. 

Attached File  KIMG0568.JPG   121.18KB   0 downloads

• Bgriffin856, broadriverhay and paoutdoorsman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic