493 replies to this topic

#1 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

I know some of you guys on here wrench.  I thought it might be neat to have a thread where we can share the projects/jobs that we are working on.  I'll start.

A customer brought in a 3720 and said the 4 wheel drive wasn't working.  Found that both seal plugs under the front spindles were gone, and obviously no oil in either of the front drive hubs.  Luckily the center diff retained enough oil to keep it lubricated.  The right side drive is completely torn up...

Attached Files

• Vol, DSLinc1017, slowzuki and 3 others like this

#2 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 949 posts
  • LocationChamplain Valley, Vermont

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

I know some of you guys on here wrench.  I thought it might be neat to have a thread where we can share the projects/jobs that we are working on.  I'll start.

A customer brought in a 3720 and said the 4 wheel drive wasn't working.  Found that both seal plugs under the front spindles were gone, and obviously no oil in either of the front drive hubs.  Luckily the center diff retained enough oil to keep it lubricated.  The right side drive is completely torn up...

I "Liked" your post,  but please don't get me wrong,  So sorry!  Its perhaps a good thing you got to it before more damage or getting stuck in a field with the wheel under the tractor.  

Then you would be posting in the wall of shame :)

• JD3430 likes this

#3 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

This isn't necessarily a "farming" shop issue,  but a fun project while making hay is on its winter break.

Attached File  IMG_9914.JPG   167.33KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9915.JPG   161.23KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9916.JPG   154.89KB   0 downloads

• Farmineer95 and BWfarms like this

#4 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10884 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Building a new wood elevator for the firewood processor atm. 

Old one was so shot the chain would just fall apart with no wood on it, flat chain was worn to the point where the links were paper thin. 

Picked up a New Idea ear corn elevator for half of what new conveyor chain would have cost to repair the old one.

Took a section out to shorten it to thirty foot, cut another couple feet off the top end as it was all tore up from the sprockets and chains rubbing the sides of the elevator. Turns out the bearings had seized on the top shaft and the sprockets started to rotate on the shaft, too hogged out for 1”, can’t get em chucked square enough in the lathe to bore em out to 1 1/8” then would have to change the slack adjusters as well as they have no room to goto a 1 1/8 bearing with the larger OD, so just ordered two new flame cut sprockets, should be here any minute unless UPS is running late.

Going to drive this from the top with a hydraulic motor and a B belt to act as a clutch if something should jam. Going to top drive as the old was a bottom drive and with all the slack always at the bottom weird things happened when handling firewood. 

#5 BWfarms

BWfarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • LocationGod's Country, North Carolina

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

Here's my 'shop' project at the moment lol. Building a 70x120 shop for 1/64 scale model farm.

Attached File  image.jpeg   112.46KB   5 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   247.51KB   4 downloads
  • Grateful11, DSLinc1017, Greasy30 and 11 others like this

#6 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5455 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

Currently a flail mulcher torn apart getting newer bearings, a subaru getting a timing belt and oil pump, a Suzuki sx4 car getting clutch and master cylinder, and a line up outside the door waiting to get in for oil changes and cylinder repacking.

#7 Lewis Ranch

Lewis Ranch

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1192 posts
  • LocationRavenna tx

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Got my 5325 apart right now having injector issues, last of the parts came in today but with highs in the 30's the next few days we won't be working on it till next week.
  • somedevildawg likes this

#8 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Here's my 'shop' project at the moment lol. Building a 70x120 shop for 1/64 scale model farm.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's awesome!  Can we get a shot of the entire farm? 

• BWfarms likes this

#9 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3549 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Did you have to get a building permit for that size tool shed? :lol:

Larry

PS looks impressive (someone is much more talented than me).

• DSLinc1017, IHCman and BWfarms like this

#10 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5455 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

I burned up one side of my little kubota one winter.  They used clear Kubota SUDT fluid and the seal went in the winter, didn't notice in the snow.  I was putting lots of miles on doing snow removal and it ate the bearing cage up letting the balls come out.  My bottom caps stayed on and it started making noise when the pieces went through the gears.

Surprisingly straightforward to work on once you find out how to take them apart.

#11 BWfarms

BWfarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • LocationGod's Country, North Carolina

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

That's awesome!  Can we get a shot of the entire farm?

I just started on building a farm display so there's nothing to it yet. For years as I accumulated the toy tractors and implements, I envisioned building one. I sort of have time now so I decided to go ahead and start. I will definitely share pics as I get it set up.

Did you have to get a building permit for that size tool shed? :lol:

Larry

PS looks impressive (someone is much more talented than me).

Shhhh we don't tell anybody nothing!!! If they come and appraise, I'll tell them it's been there for a while and recently renovated. If they don't believe that, I will say it's portable...just let be disassemble it one piece at a time... Thanks, I know I'll wow you with the finished product!
  • DSLinc1017, RockyHill, IH 1586 and 3 others like this

#12 Lostin55

Lostin55

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1341 posts
  • LocationBig Horn Basin Wyoming

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I wish my shop had a granite floor. .... very nicely done. I can't wait to see the finished product.
  • DSLinc1017, JD3430, Thorim and 1 other like this

#13 Farmerbrown2

Farmerbrown2

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1171 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Just finished converting two JD 4020's to twelve volt had to put water pump on second one so that held us up a couple days . Boy do those gear reduction starters spin those old motors over good 25 degrees hear tonight and spun the motor like it was 80 degrees. Tomorrow night going to put sheet metal back on . Then I've got a IH 560 gas tractor that hasn't run in about 18 years I hope the motor isn't seezed up that will probably need a valve job and I know it jumps out of 2nd and 3rd gear . It was our grinder mixer tractor the last five years it ran .
  • mlappin, Vol and slowzuki like this

#14 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2371 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

1-Yamaha Sidebyside, waiting on thermostat. Overheating issue

2. Case 465 skidsteer, almost complete. Needs battery holddown, floor plate put back on and new new hydraulic coupler

3. NH LS160 skidsteer. Had new engine dropped in. Everything completed except the oil cooler needs cleaned

4. LX665 skidsteer, all kinds of issues from wiring, to bushings to park brake..

5. NH 408 discbine in process of new cutterbar..

6. 12 Solidflex skidsteer tires that need new tread cut into them.

I never get caught up...

• slowzuki and notmydaytoday like this

#15 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

Doing some maintenance on my John deere 336 by replacing a few bearings, ajjusting the plunger, new pick up times, and chains and while I had it apart figured I would go ahead and sand it down a little and give it a new paint job.

Attached Files

• Vol, barnrope, slowzuki and 1 other like this

#16 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10884 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:53 PM

Just finished converting two JD 4020's to twelve volt had to put water pump on second one so that held us up a couple days . Boy do those gear reduction starters spin those old motors over good 25 degrees hear tonight and spun the motor like it was 80 degrees. Tomorrow night going to put sheet metal back on . Then I've got a IH 560 gas tractor that hasn't run in about 18 years I hope the motor isn't seezed up that will probably need a valve job and I know it jumps out of 2nd and 3rd gear . It was our grinder mixer tractor the last five years it ran .

I changed one out on my 1600 Oliver to the gear reduction, made a world of difference on cold starts.

#17 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1837 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

Eventually the 2355 will go in to get a clutch. Still using, have to plow  snow, never know when a customer will want round bales. Sucks when it is the only loader.

4040 fix many hydraulic leaks

1586 fix many hydraulic leaks, electrical issues, engine oil leak

• Lewis Ranch likes this

#18 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9589 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

Have the JCB 520 in the shop with the engine out....seems the water and oil decided to intermingle :(
  • DSLinc1017 likes this

#19 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2371 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

Have the JCB 520 in the shop with the engine out....seems the water and oil decided to intermingle :(

You still didn't get that back together??? Its been like 2 weeks!!!

• DSLinc1017 and somedevildawg like this

#20 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2932 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

499 Haybine getting the rolls out

Chore tractors and skidloader just cuz it's warm

And a dresser my wife bought getting converted into a bathroom vanity.

Allis Chalmers WD needing a valve grind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors