Bison.....It's What's For Dinner. - General Ranching - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo

Bison.....It's What's For Dinner.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15442 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

One of my favorite ground meats...

Regards, Mike

http://www.agweb.com...ply-curbs-blmg/

• Tx Jim likes this

#2 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4055 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

Yepper It's very delicious if not over cooked. I also like eating Beefalo.

• Vol likes this

#3 FarmerCline

FarmerCline

• Members
  • 3247 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

One of the best pieces of meat I have ate was buffalo(bison) prime rib cooked medium-rare that I had in Wyoming. Also had a really good buffalo burger in eastern Idaho right at the foot of the west side of the Tetons.
  • Vol, Tim/South and gosh like this

#4 gosh

gosh

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

One of my neighbors used to raise bison. Fences were an issue, as you can probably imagine.
  • Vol, IHCman and Tim/South like this

#5 gosh

gosh

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

One of the best pieces of meat I have ate was buffalo(bison) prime rib cooked medium-rare that I had in Wyoming. Also had a really good buffalo burger in eastern Idaho right at the foot of the west side of the Tetons.

Gun Barrel in Jackson?
  • Vol and FarmerCline like this

#6 IHCman

IHCman

• Members
  • 1311 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

One of my neighbors used to raise bison. Fences were an issue, as you can probably imagine.

One of my neighbors also raised buffalo for a few years. He run them in pastures with 4 wire barb fence that he used when he had beef cattle. Amazingly they left the perimeter fences alone but the cross fences were another story. Anywhere the buffalo wanted to go through they'd make a hole and go through.

Helped round them up a few times. That was fun, just like chasing cows except at 20 to 30 mph. lol

bison meat is good but I'll stick to beef.

• Tim/South, gosh and BisonMan like this

#7 FarmerCline

FarmerCline

• Members
  • 3247 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

Gun Barrel in Jackson?

Yep! How did ya guess?
  • gosh likes this

#8 gosh

gosh

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

Yep! How did ya guess?

About an hour from here. When you mentioned eastern Idaho, I felt confident enough to take the guess!
  • FarmerCline and Tim/South like this

#9 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15442 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

"The Winchester" in Buffalo, Wyoming can throw a heck of a piece of Bison meat on the fire. 

Regards, Mike

• gosh likes this

#10 Tim/South

Tim/South

• Members
  • 3903 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A.

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

The family not far from here raises bison (I did not know there was a difference between American Bison and Buffalo they educated me). The sell strictly to a guy who makes and sells jerky.

I never realized how huge they were until I visited their place. The holding pen is custom made from thick wall square tubing. It has dents and bends. So does the farm truck they take in the pasture.

• Vol, IHCman, deadmoose and 1 other like this

#11 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8500 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

Neighbor has a buffalo feedlot.Has 200-300 hd on feed.Free choice grass hay and a pellet in self feeders.

His brother manages the buffalo herd in the Black Hills,Custer state park.1300? Hd
  • Vol, Waterway64 and Tim/South like this

#12 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2932 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

My brother used to be a big game chef at Schumachers in New Prague MN. He made all sorts of game, Bison, Elk, Antelope, and a bunch of other stuff. Said Bison is a little harder to get done right but it's delicious when done properly.
  • Vol likes this

#13 IHCman

IHCman

• Members
  • 1311 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

The family not far from here raises bison (I did not know there was a difference between American Bison and Buffalo they educated me). The sell strictly to a guy who makes and sells jerky.

I never realized how huge they were until I visited their place. The holding pen is custom made from thick wall square tubing. It has dents and bends. So does the farm truck they take in the pasture.

so what is the difference between the two? I think they're all American Bison but we just call them buffalo. Its kind of like what we all call antelope aren't really antelope.

#14 Tim/South

Tim/South

• Members
  • 3903 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A.

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

so what is the difference between the two? I think they're all American Bison but we just call them buffalo. Its kind of like what we all call antelope aren't really antelope.

One has a beard, one is larger. I believe American Bison is native only to North America. Buffalo were in South America and other continents. Our American Bison are distinct from the Buffalo from other places.

I do not remember all the criteria, only that there were differences.

• BisonMan likes this

#15 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15442 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Here in North America we have 2 species, but they are almost identical in appearance. They are the Plains Bison, and the Woodland Bison. 

Regards, Mike

• Tim/South likes this

#16 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15442 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

That's right.....what we call antelope are "Pronghorn" and not antelope at all. They are their very own unique species.....and the same with the Bison....they are their own unique species and are not "Buffalo" at all....the early settlers just nicknamed them that....really they should have been named Tatonka...after the Native American name for Bison.

Regards, Mike

• IHCman and Tim/South like this

#17 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1831 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

My first customer of mine has bison. I have sold him silage, baled his hay for him for 12 years. Damn where did the time go, anyways they are one tough animal to deal with. Used to help him vaccinate and the calves are a hand full. They may look small but they will run you over. He built a corral with multiple holding areas and there is a small window in the gate. They will try to go through that when cornered. Always had a rifle ready if we had issues with one.

Just changed how we bale his hay 2 years ago. Found out by accident we were feeding them to good. Now we only do one cutting in Aug and a lot of his health issues have disappeared.

• Vol, somedevildawg, deadmoose and 1 other like this

#18 BisonMan

BisonMan

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSW ontario Canada

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:31 AM

Thought I'd bump this thread.

I'm looking seriously into Bison. I put in 60 acres of pasture this year with Oats as a cover crop. That's how I ended up on haytalk as I worked through the first step of building a pasture and baling it up.

Plan is to fence in 25 acres this fall / next spring and bring some calves in. I've met farmers who go with a basic fence and those who like something designed for bison.  I've been to a few bison ranches and talked to lots of farmers , they all love the animal.  I've been invited up to a ranch for a week or two this fall to get a feel for the whole thing. I've found the farmers to be super helpful and gung ho about the market in general. We were tobacco farmers but the industry is largely gone these days up this way, so I've been looking at bison as a new beginning.

There is a push to get to 1M bison in North America I think by 2030.  

• Tim/South likes this

#19 Palmettokat

Palmettokat

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSC, about 20 miles west of Myrtle Beach

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:35 AM

Bison Man

Hope the bison work for you. I imagine the acreage needed is rather large. What got my attention to your post was the "tobacco" word.  Never knew tobacco was raised that far North. I live in the heart of "flu cured" tobacco country or what was flue cured tobacco country. Was by far the money crop for our farmers for many many years. Today there is no money crop. The loss of the tobacco crop began the end of small farmers here and still seeing less and less farmers in big part in my area due to repeated flooding many due to hurricanes last few years. Set record flood levels in think last 10 years about four times. 

You will learn to appreciate those here greatly, I did. 

• somedevildawg, Tim/South, RockyHill and 1 other like this

#20 Wethay

Wethay

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:27 PM

Hay customer/ buddy had a small heard. He vaccinated with a blow gun. 

• Tim/South, endrow, Palmettokat and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors