Loss of old English style barns in an area of our province - Old Time Farm Practices & Suggestions - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo

Loss of old English style barns in an area of our province

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5413 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...aring-1.3468265

Its interesting to read they've gone from 400 of these barns down to a handful in not much time.  All over our neighbourhood these old barns are falling down/torn down.  In the last 20 years about 3/4 of them by our house have gone.  We have one I've posted about before that is a big one but if it gets damaged it will be gone too.  Very expensive to rebuild and not practical in todays world of tractors.

• Vol, DSLinc1017, Tim/South and 2 others like this

#2 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10862 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

Same thing happens here to the old bank barns. Not a lot of useful space in em strictly for storing equipment and so on so usually once they need considerable work they get tore down and a standard pole barn takes their place.

• IHCman likes this

#3 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15342 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Interesting link to piebald deer also on the news page.

Regards, Mike

#4 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5413 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

Yes that was pretty handy to my part of the province.  We've had very little snow this year so they stand out.

Last week driving home on a sunny afternoon a neighbours fields are about a mile long and there were about 50-75 deer eating in them in 3 roughly equal sized groups.

They absolutely decimate the underbrush here due to browsing.  We have a former government biologist on the news all the time wanting more and more woods protected for the deer.  Up until 1900 or so we didn't have any deer here, only woodland caribou and moose.  Now we have a tick invasion and deer spreading a brain wasting disease.

I'm only slightly biased because a lot of do gooders feed them right by the road and hundreds a year are hit on our 15 mile stretch of road.  Get sick of the vehicle repairs.

Interesting link to piebald deer also on the news page.

Regards, Mike

#5 Thorim

Thorim

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • LocationBay City Michigan

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

I hate to see old barns torn down each has it's own unique appearance, they seem have there own personalities and there is just such a feeling in those old barns that no pole barn will ever have sighsss It saddens me some times to think my grand children may never have the joy of playing/ working in a good ole fashion hay mow seeing those massive beams hand hewed, held together with wooden pegs, sliding to the mow on the other using the old track at the top of the roof, the smell of hay and straw and cow all mingled together I was blessed to have experienced old barns....

• DSLinc1017, slowzuki, IH 1586 and 1 other like this

#6 Grateful11

Grateful11

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2356 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

We watch these guys on the DIY channel, Barnwood Builders, they go all over taking down barns and building them back usually somewhere else. They're some good ol' boys from WV.

http://www.diynetwor...rnwood-builders

http://www.antiqueca...s.com/Home.aspx

• stack em up and Thorim like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors