Hay market trends - March update - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Hay market trends - March update

hay alfalfa market

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lcjaynes

lcjaynes

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

http://www.progressi...pdate-for-march

• lcjaynes likes this

#2 Teslan

Teslan

Full of questionable knowledge.

• Members
  • 5223 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Here on the Front Range of Colorado I'm wondering what the hay market is going to do.   The snowpack right now is just somewhat above what it was in 2012, which was a drought year.   Although reservoirs are fairly full to start the season.  It's been warm and irrigation has started about 2 weeks ahead of schedule.   Unless it changes I'm not going to be trying to hard to move my first cutting hay to quickly.  It may be worth much more in July.  

• lcjaynes likes this

#3 Hugh

Hugh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

California grows a lot of alfalfa. I'm wondering how the drought will effect their production and prices.  

• lcjaynes likes this

#4 3string

3string

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSouthern Utah

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:38 PM

The mild winter around here has really affected hay prices. There is a lot of hay sitting in barns.
  • lcjaynes likes this

#5 PackMan2170

PackMan2170

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationMesilla Valley, New Mexico

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Low price of milk has hay prices sucking pond-water down here. Down $70 (over 25%) from last year. Have a good friend that just stuck a disc in 200 acres of triticale to plant Pima instead.

• lcjaynes likes this

#6 Romey

Romey

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon/Montana

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

Here is Central oregon its dry, real dry. Everyone scrambling for pasture as well. 15 countires already zones as drought disaster with hardly any snow pack and no rain at all.

Most barns are still 1 to 2/3 full of last year hay because Austraila came out of a drought and snatches up alot of the asian market which most of this area sells to. Prices are outstanding hay is dropping like a rock in water to make room. Everything is big sqaures though, the small square market at premium still.

• lcjaynes likes this

#7 haystax

haystax

haystaxwest.com

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationDV,NV

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

Huge backlog of hay in the West for sure. Lowest acreage in alfalfa in California in ten years. Might be a different story in July but it's a buyers market for beef/drycow hay. Premium hay moving slowly but not high priced considering the weather outlook. Premium horse hay really moving slow out of barns
  • lcjaynes likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hay, alfalfa, market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors