Have you ever bought a part online? How did it turn out? - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Have you ever bought a part online? How did it turn out?

poll machinery parts hay

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lcjaynes

lcjaynes

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

If you wouldn't mind, could you respond either to this post or just take the poll online? http://www.progressi...e.com/news/poll  (Located on right side of page...scroll down a bit)

You guys are a great resource and I appreciate your help.

Lynn

• Vol likes this

#2 gradyjohn

gradyjohn

• Members
  • 843 posts
  • LocationWhitesboro, TX

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Like most surveys/polls the questions are slanted to produce the outcome.
If you order parts online from you dealer and pick them up ... is that on line?
Or you order from Shoup Parts and they deliver ... that on line?
Go on Craigslist and buy something ... is that on line?

Yes I have ordered on line with Shoup, Ebay, etc. Yes I was satisfied. When I do I figure the cost+shipping before I buy.
  • NDVA HAYMAN and lcjaynes like this

#3 Teslan

Teslan

Full of questionable knowledge.

• Members
  • 5223 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

I didn't see the poll for that specific question.    But yes I've ordered parts a couple of times and it works well.  However they were simple parts and easily found.   But it took as long to deliver and for the same price as if I had gone to the dealership and ordered.    

I wouldn't order parts online that are for newer equipment.  Especially tractors.   For example a month ago I tried to look up on NH's website the part number for a Hi/Lo gear shift cable for a 2008 T 6030 tractor.     I looked for 40 minutes and found the picture of what I thought looked like the cable.   I didn't think a cable would be that different on different machines.  I wrote down the part number and took it into the NH dealer.    The guy looked up our tractor on the system, put in the part number I had.   Nothing came up.   Well it turns out that it isn't so simple to find the right parts on newer tractors since there are so many different versions and with different options for the worldwide market.   The parts guy had to interpret a bunch of changed parts numbers, serial numbers, engine numbers, social security numbers, computed the national debt 3 times, solved PI, balanced the federal budget,  then he got the right part number to order.   It took about 20 minutes.   The part arrived in 2 days.    He said so many times guys have looked up on line and found the part number only for it to be wrong.   The worst is they order it online.   It's delivered, and it's wrong.   Then they blame the dealership for getting the order wrong.   He himself dislikes the New Holland parts software that they recently updated.  

For older tractors, or common parts it is probably fine to order online.   

• Chessiedog, discbinedr and lcjaynes like this

#4 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1045 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Kentucky

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Yes.  Try to research both part and seller before ordering.  Can't recall any problems - but this will probably be the start :(   Each circumstance is different; sometimes it is availability of part, sometimes price, sometimes paying shipping is better alternative to trip into town if immediate need is not major factor.

Shelia

• Vol, cornshucker, deadmoose and 2 others like this

#5 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15705 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

When I know what I need..I do search and buy "online" with great success. If I am unsure of the part or exactly what I need, I call my dealer that sold the equipment to me.

Regards, Mike

• Chessiedog, cornshucker, deadmoose and 1 other like this

#6 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2006 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

For the most part I look up the part numbers on line then call dealer to order. I don't trust the newer people at the counter and you have all the time to look and not feel rushed or deal with somebody who is having a bad day and could care less to help you.It also saves a trip to order part and another trip to pick up. If the part is wrong its my own fault should have studied parts catalog longer.

• RockyHill and lcjaynes like this

#7 cornshucker

cornshucker

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • Locationnorth central north carolina

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

Pretty much the same as Mike and Shelia, have had real good luck ordering online but as they said need to know exactly what you are ordering and research the seller. Seed company my wife orders seed for greenhouse actually offers discount for online orders vs. phone in orders.  Ordered new guards and sickle for mo-co online yesterday but have used these people before and they are a class act.

• Vol, RockyHill and lcjaynes like this

#8 aawhite

aawhite

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationWest Central Kansas (Hays)

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

Same as above.  I've order from SHoups for simple parts that were easy to identify and a big price variation.  If its tought o idenitfy, I go to the dealer in person.

• cornshucker and lcjaynes like this

#9 Shane_WY

Shane_WY

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

As long as you do your homework, it will usually go well.  We have bought lots of parts online because we live at least 90 minutes/miles away from the nearest dealer.  The trick is that you'll have to know exactly what you need, though several places online are knowledgeable and can help you figure it out.

As said earlier, find a reputable company like Shoup.

Shane

• lcjaynes likes this

#10 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15705 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

As long as you do your homework, it will usually go well.  We have bought lots of parts online because we live at least 90 minutes/miles away from the nearest dealer.  The trick is that you'll have to know exactly what you need, though several places online are knowledgeable and can help you figure it out.

As said earlier, find a reputable company like Shoup.

Shane

What region of Wyoming are you from Shane?

Regards, Mike

#11 lcjaynes

lcjaynes

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it.

Lynn

• Vol likes this

#12 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10016 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

Regards, Mike

Lol, you never miss an opportunity do you mike.....ima have to go out there just to find out for myself.....on the bucket list
  • Vol likes this

#13 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10016 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Mostly dealer for me, granddaddy always said we had to "keep it in circulation" so I try to buy local....the other day was gonna buy some led strobes on-line and wound up bought em at Truck Pro (local) for the essentially the same money.....now I know that Truck Pro is a large company and the $ don't necessarily stay here, but those guys down at truck pro live here and get a paycheck. Not to mention they will remember me when I need something down the road, sometimes that personal connection will get you out of a jam, BTDT
  • Vol, NDVA HAYMAN, urednecku and 4 others like this

#14 aawhite

aawhite

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationWest Central Kansas (Hays)

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

We were always williung to pay a bit more to buy local.  When you are in a major jam and need something fast, the local dealer remembers if you are a good customer.  We've had equipment go down during harvest, and our dealer sent one of their guys to another dealership a lonnng ways who had the part in stock, then delivered it to the farm, all in the same afternoon.  Don't think the internet stores are going to do that for you anytime soon...

• Vol and lcjaynes like this

#15 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

Regards, Mike

I had to laugh cause I know Mike is thinking of more big-game huntin! HaHa

• Vol likes this

#16 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

I try to order from people like Shoup. Even if you are not sure, they have some great people on the phone that can guide you thru and they have a lot of stuff that is not shown in the catalog. Just ask. For other equipment, I call my JD salesman who used to be a parts manager and he can quote me the part numbers over the phone. Great guy to deal with and I wish everyone had as good of a salesman as I do. Mike

• lcjaynes likes this

#17 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

I prefer to go to the dealer and talk with someone face-to-face.  Usually, I lay a part on the counter wrapped in oily rags and say "I need one of these."

Sometimes, the equipment manufacturer forces your hand, such as when Kuhn discontinued supplying a spindle bearing and forced the dealer to sell you an entire assembly - at four times the cost, of course.    I finally found a replacement bearing at Rock Auto for a fraction of the cost of a new assembly.

http://www.haytalk.c...=+kuhn +bearing

Kuhn has also limited the availability of on-line information. Other manufacturers, you can go online and look up schematics, parts numbers, etc.  Very helpful when you're putting something together and can't remember where in the heck this spacer goes.

• somedevildawg, deadmoose and lcjaynes like this

#18 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

My NH & JD dealers are both 40 miles away, my AGCO dealer is a little bit farther. I typically look up the parts I need, order from the dealer, and go pick them up when they come in. All three have decent Parts Managers (and Shop Managers) that you can have an intelligent conversation with. I've got closer NH & JD dealers but they are staffed with idiots who only seem to be able to look up and order lawnmower parts. I try to plan things out so that I can pretty much order almost everything else on-line; tools, hardware, etc because it's 10 miles to either a hardware store or a box store (in different directions) and I know that when I get there, they will be out of whatever I need. FedEx drops off at the gate and the UPS guy comes in and puts anything addressed to me in my shop and to my wife on the back porch. USPS can't even deliver mail to the right address...They seem to just throw stuff on the driveway. I've gotten lazy and spoiled in my old age.....  

• NDVA HAYMAN, deadmoose and lcjaynes like this

#19 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15705 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

When you are in a major jam and need something fast, the local dealer remembers if you are a good customer.  

While that is true probably in most instances, my closest JD dealership has some rather dull boys working at the parts counter.....it would be taxing their capacity to try and remember more than their names....the furthest "local" JD dealership from me is outstanding.

Regards, Mike

• Mike120, somedevildawg and lcjaynes like this

#20 Orchard6

Orchard6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationMid West Michigan

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

For our Deere's I go to the dealer because it would probably take longer to get to the 'puter and look it up myself than to drive the 4 miles to the dealer and let them look it up. Our New Holland dealer is very good so I usually just go there without calling for parts availability. They stock a lot of parts for my old 469 haybine and 268 square baler.
For my IH stuff I have ordered from Stieners and farmallparts.com. My red ones are all antique so the parts guys at the dealer have almost no idea what a McCormick O-6, Farmall C or A even are. I've been happy with my online purchases from both places.
  • deadmoose and lcjaynes like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, machinery, parts, hay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors