Horses Starving; Hay Shortage and High Prices to Blame - General Ranching - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo

Horses Starving; Hay Shortage and High Prices to Blame

horses hay shortage high prices hay forage pasture winter drought

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

TV station in Denver reports horses left to starve due to hay shortage and high hay prices....

http://denver.cbsloc...ng-into-winter/

#2 Tim/South

Tim/South

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Most owners unable to afford to feed their horses simply abandon them. That has been a growing problem since the facilities to slaughter horses for human consumption were closed on'08.
Abandoned horses are hard to trace and the owners are not found and held accountable. Most rescues have been full for some time now.
Those who keep their horses are the ones who get in trouble. Times are tough for many horse owners and much tougher for their horses.
I imagine the hay shortage did place a tighter bind on an already tough situation.

#3 deadmoose

deadmoose

Apprentice Forage Grower

• Members
  • 5229 posts
  • LocationDalbo MN

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

This goes back to the lesson on money I keep trying to teach my mom.

If you want it but can't afford it DON'T buy it.

If you want it and have the money and can afford it: go ahead and buy it!

Not that she has horses but I believe this applies here as well.
  • swmnhay, rjmoses and askinner like this

#4 steve in IN

steve in IN

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMill Creek,IN southewst of South Bend

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Damned dirty, greedy hay growers. Dont you know you are supposed to sell your hay for what they can afford to pay. i have "wannabe" cattle farmers wh are having the same problem. Real farmers figure it out before it comes to this.
  • downtownjr, swmnhay and mlappin like this

#5 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11005 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Damned dirty, greedy hay growers. Dont you know you are supposed to sell your hay for what they can afford to pay. i have "wannabe" cattle farmers wh are having the same problem. Real farmers figure it out before it comes to this.

Yup. Buyers never seem to ever figure in cost of production. If you have less hay to sell, then it MUST sell for more to make up for lack of volume considering most producers fixed expenses like fuel and fertilizer went up regardless of the lack of rain.

#6 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

In the few weeks, I've been offered 4 horses from different hay buyers. I'm assuming they got it in the spring for the kids, made it through the summer grazing it in their back yard, didn't have the sense to put down rye grass and now they need round bales to feed it. The kids are at school, the animal has never seen a farrier, much less a vet. They have just realized that it runs through a round bale pretty quick, wastes much of it, and have added up what it will cost to feed it over the winter. I keep my gates locked so the damn things don't wander in during the night
  • downtownjr, NDVA HAYMAN, Nitram and 1 other like this

#7 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8667 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

I've seen some horsey folk feeding cornstalks.Eat them or starve.

#8 Tim/South

Tim/South

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationAlabama, U.S.A.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I have them tell me they are giving their horses to me, not ask.

A friend and wife went on a trail ride in the local National Forrest. There is a section designated for horses (no 4 wheelers).
When they returned from their ride there were 3 horses loaded and tied in their trailer. Not a soul in sight.
Another aquantance in Missouri has shot 7 horses that were "donated" to his pastures.

Horses are a dime a dozen. Newbies buy them not knowing the cost of upkeep is high.

#9 Nitram

Nitram

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1484 posts
  • LocationMarion Kansas

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Took another bale to the ex today. She doesn't have a problem feeding her horse... ;)

#10 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10016 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Nitram you meant to say "you don't have a problem feeding her horse" ....:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: horses, hay shortage, high prices, hay, forage, pasture, winter, drought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors